• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The Great Trump Slump of Gun Sales - AllOutdoor.com

...For one of America’s largest gun manufacturers, the “Trump slump” in sales has meant a nearly $100m fall in firearms revenue compared with the same quarter last year.

American Outdoor Brands, the rebranded name of historic gun company Smith & Wesson, reported a 48.5% decrease in firearms revenue compared with the same quarter last year, when many Americans believed Hillary Clinton, a supporter of gun control, would be elected president.

Shipments of long guns were down 57% in the latest quarter...

[video=youtube;ZFNS9kEN2xg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNS9kEN2xg&t=6s[/video]

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I believe the manufacturers may be in a bit of a slump, yes... it seems like a real buyer's market for new and used. My son got his first AR last fall, the fairly new Ruger AR556 model, and got it on sale for just under $600. Just ahead of the elections, mind you, where there was a ton of FUD about what would happen next. I have since seen his same exact gun, along with the M&P Sport II that was right around the same price, advertised for $475 on places like Grab-a-Gun, and even Rural King's weekly ads.

ARs especially seem to be in a higher supply/lower demand bell curve. The newer line of Savage ARs have also come up for really good sale prices recently. I wonder if we're going to see some of the smaller players leave the field. Olympic Arms already has, and it seems like maybe another that I can't recall. I suspect the big boys like Ruger and S&W will weather this sales lull just fine, but smaller manufacturers are surely feeling the pinch.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Fear is a powerful motivator for purchase.

Fortunately for the gun makers, the gun grabbers never rest and there will always be another mass shooting of some sort-- no shortage of evil in this world.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Comparing a normal sales year to the best ever in the history of what ever the product is will always result in hand wringing and silly statements about going out of business because you can't understand highs and lows and how to deal with market forces.

Somehow I really believe things are very good, just not that "happy days are here again" time.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'd argue that what we are seeing is a market correction.

High demand drove supply and prices up to what was seen last year. Low demand has led to an oversupply and aggressive pricing to move units, particularly in he AR markets. The smaller companies, that jumped in at high prices, will see struggles here and will either find a way to survive at lower prices or close/be bought out.

The sales drop shouldn't be a shock. When the fear that I can't buy dissipates, so does the "gotta have it right now" purchasing.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It's not really good until we can stop by Walmart and pick up a silencer on the way home. Let's get the pressure on to get that done! :ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    150126095901-stocks-to-buy-780x439.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've got some bad news for you regarding the Republican party and their COMPLETE INABILITY to get anything done...

This is because you have not put enough pressure on them. ;)
    Why do you think the pres is talking to the [STRIKE]dems[/STRIKE] enemy right now?

We need a few more in 2018 and we need to fire a couple of our rhinos. It's be good to get a medical update on that traitor McCain.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    This is because you have not put enough pressure on them. ;)
    Why do you think the pres is talking to the [STRIKE]dems[/STRIKE] enemy right now?

We need a few more in 2018 and we need to fire a couple of our rhinos. It's be good to get a medical update on that traitor McCain.

Same goals as the Enemy it seems.

Maybe it's a matter of just pacing themselves :dunno:

I'd hate to see what "not even trying" looks like

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Makes complete sense to me. I know I was buying a lot more this time last year, just because I felt if I didn't get it now I wouldn't get it.

The manufacturers were riding a wave. Their greatest salesman Barack drove up sales for years. All the manufactures had to do was look in their crystal ball to know that 2018 would not reach the record levels of 2017. Hillary would be elected and their high profit margin guns would be banned and sales would dramatically decline once the witch was in office, either by law or executive order. Well someone tripped and broke the crystal ball and Trump was elected but the result was the same, sales declined because panic buying ceased. If they are surprised they suck at business planning.

Top Bottom