• ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ok,

So today a friend dropped of a Ruger LC380 on my desk and asked if I could fix it for his wife. The next question out of my mouth was "WTF happened to it!"

Turns out they were riding their Can-Am Spyder down 465 and it dropped out of her holster then was run over by a tractor trailer! First comment out of my mouth was...."Should have gotten a better holster!" second comment was "Not worth fixing" third comment was "Let me see how Ruger is with their warranty?"

That's where you guys come in! Any idea on whether they would cover it? I know it is not a REALLY cool company like High Point but didn't know.

Thanks in advance.

:ingo:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    They most likely will cover it but.... They will probably offer him a replacement firearm

This happened to me. You will incur another transfer fee if that's the case. I asked to be reimbursed for this since the damage was their fault. Their policy is to not reimburse. I asked for a hat in lieu of payment, and got a hat and a free spare mag also.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Except for the whole "replacement firearm" thing. New gun equals new transfer.

Not by law, if it's a manufacturer replacement. Policy may prevent it (and Ruger won't do it) but it's not the law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
    (A)this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

and

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/478.124

That a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I got a replacement firearm from Ruger once. I sent them an SR45 that wouldn't work right and they sent me back a 9E as a replacement since I told them that I didn't want the SR45 back. They sent to an FFL where I had to go through the 4473 stuff, they didn't charge me a fee though, and I went home with my new pistol.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    I had a problem with a 10/22 with a problem. Nothing as severe as yours. I called and they e-mailed me a return label before I even got off the phone with them. I mailed it back and they replaced the bolt assembly and gave me a 10 round mag. The gun was delivered back to me within a week. They sent it right to my house no FFL required. All it cost me was the tape I put on the box. It is my understanding that Ruger does not have an actual written warranty. They do however provide Excellent customer service. Just give them a call you might be surprised.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Posted about a single six my brother bought, tore apart in a box. He sent it to Ruger to fix it and reblue it. They didn't charge him a dime.
    There's at least 2 threads on here about Rugers CS, I bet they fix it free of charge

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Have any pictures?

Per the request of the masses.
    dT9oQFA.jpg
    ShAoKDq.jpg
    lQoQsu5.jpg
    ruG9BUY.jpg

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I have two concerns with trying to fix it.

#1 I am not sure if the safety is going to function property due to the damage to the internal frame.
    #2 The hammer spring is held in place on the bottom of the grip with a pin (#53). Due to the pressure from the load it had run over it it punched a hole on both sides of the grip so retention of the pin might be tough. My only thought was once put back together to stipple the grip to seal over the hole and help cover the seal over job.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Methinks it's time for a new pistol, and a new holster. I don't know that you'll ever get it to run right. The main issue is how much compression there was on the frame and slide, especially the frame. I would be quite surprised if Ruger replaced it as it's rather obvious it wasn't a defect in design or manufacture, but I'm not Ruger. I cannot imagine them attempting to repair it. There is a point beyond which it's less expensive and lower risk to replace than repair.

John

Top Bottom