• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    My blushing bride and I are headed to the New England states. I am not sure how to handle my firearms in New York.
    I have my Indiana license and a Florida non-resident license. I will be pulling a travel trailer. I keep one firearm in it at all times and also have one for carrying where I am legally allowed to.
    If I put my carry weapon in the trailer while in New York, will that meet federal guidelines or is it even possible to meet federal guidelines while in New York.
    We will be staying in Northern New York not going anywhere near the big city.
    We will probably be in Massachusetts for a little while also.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Hickory

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    NY state and Massachusetts are notorious for having no sense of humor in dealing with people from free states who are caught carrying a firearm in their states.

When my wife and I travel to NY, her home state, we unload our carry guns and put them in a locked case buried deep in the camper just before we leave Pennsylvania. All ammo is likewise locked away very separately from the guns. I follow all traffic laws to the letter and keep a low profile.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    NY state and Massachusetts are notorious for having no sense of humor in dealing with people from free states who are caught carrying a firearm in their states.

When my wife and I travel to NY, her home state, we unload our carry guns and put them in a locked case buried deep in the camper just before we leave Pennsylvania. All ammo is likewise locked away very separately from the guns. I follow all traffic laws to the letter and keep a low profile.

Have heard as soon they run plates they know if have a gun permit. So answer the question honestly or you can several counts quickly. This was told to me regarding Ohio State Police.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I recently made a trip to the communist state of New York. I parked a few items just east of Erie and retrieved them on the way out of this awful state.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Simply put: as the Colonel in Rambo said: Don't do it!!! Leave your firearms home and eliminate the strong possibility that you and your blushing bride could be separated by a prison sentence that would be much longer than your blooming marriage. Just don't do it! Period!!!

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Federal law governs driving through New York, if you are on your way to a destination state where your pistol or rifle is permitted. (Locked in box in trunk, unloaded)

If your destination is New York, there are only some very specific reasons under which you are allowed to bring a pistol into the state, related to hunting or sporting competitions. I visited a brother in New York and poured over the books and asked some local PD about this. I think rifle can be OK in western portions (careful about "assault rifle" definitions though).

Oh yeah, I am not a lawyer.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have a lifetime carry permit for NY State (not the city) and I still would not take a weapon back there. City and County laws vary there also...and as stated earlier they have zero sense of humor, or rather they have a general policy of tyrannical oppression of any person not conforming to their idea of a properly subservient subject. They will throw you in jail first and figure out the actual law to beat you with later. It is not worth it.

I understand that most folks commit several felonies a day if looked at hard enough, they will find a reason to keep you locked up.

It's a beautiful land completely destroyed by the liberals who live there. Good luck and be safe.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had a couple of young guys from New York in our range Saturday morning. Neither of them were very familiar with firearms, but after a little coaching, they both did great, and were very safety conscious. They rented about a dozen different guns, and probably went through 2000 rounds. Myself and a range officer let them shoot our personal weapons. Long story short, those guys had the time of their lives, and we hated to see them leave, they commented that they appreciated how patient we were with them, and how they could never have such an experience back home in New York, not just with the guns, but how nice everyone they had met in this area was. I truly feel sorry for the open minded people who live in such places, those two guys were amazed when we explained to them that here in Indiana, we can, with Very few exceptions, carry whenever and wherever we want, and just how many in this area actually DO carry at all times. It was an eye opener.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The friendliness thing is real and real noticeable. NY is the only place I've been where the checkout clerk in the McD drive through will sneer down at you and act like you're wasting their time.

I had a friend there that used to say hi and smile at everyone on the street just to **** them off. One day an attractive girl said hi and smiled back and he didn't know how to respond. After she walked away the shock wore off and he yelled "Thank you!" down the street after her.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My blushing bride and I are headed to the New England states. I am not sure how to handle my firearms in New York.
    I have my Indiana license and a Florida non-resident license. I will be pulling a travel trailer. I keep one firearm in it at all times and also have one for carrying where I am legally allowed to.
    If I put my carry weapon in the trailer while in New York, will that meet federal guidelines or is it even possible to meet federal guidelines while in New York.
    We will be staying in Northern New York not going anywhere near the big city.
    We will probably be in Massachusetts for a little while also.
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Hickory

I take it that's a question, rather than a statement.

The answer is "no" since you state that you are staying in NY and MA, therefore you can't be considered just "passing through" under FOPA. That may vary since you have a camper, but I doubt it, especially if you stop at a campground (state park?)

And while locking and unloading may meet the letter of law (assuming mags are 10 or less), these places have a tendency to go above and beyond when harassing gun owners (of course, that may be a Sharpshooter's Fallacy from the fact that those stories get reported, not the stories of happy trips.)

If you do bring them, you're just going to worry about every LEO interaction and every place you stop. And getting arrested is not a good way to start a marriage. Sure, you're less defended unarmed, but statistically speaking, you probably more likely to get arrested than use your firearm in a defensive situation.

TL/DR: Leaving them at home; have a good time; and congratulations.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom