• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I've read the TSA site, I've read Alligent Airs rules, but I still don't get if the ammo & mags can be in the same locked container as the gun?
    Or does it have to be separate?

Honest, I searched but my search fu didn't find anything.

This is the lock box the gun will be in: https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Portable-Handgun-Approved-Measures/dp/B00FATWGSU
    This box will be inside of checked luggage.

Thanks.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Linkless answer: TSA says yes they can. Some, not all, airlines say they can't. You have to check with airline your are traveling on.

i flew Southwest last night from Austin to Indy with Ammo, gun, mags all in one box. SW is cool with guns. Last time I flew American, Ammo had to be separate. You just have to check on website or call them.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    You can pack a "small amount" of ammunition in the same locked case as the weapon. The exact amount varies with each airline, but typically the limit is 11 lbs. Check with your exact airline for details. Usually there are additional requirements issued by the airline as well (beyond the amount of ammo), such as the ammo must be in the original container and not in magazines, etc.

I once travelled to AZ on American Airlines and had a small amount of ammo packed in my Pelican gun case, along with two pistols. The ammo was fine (because it was in the original packaging), but they confiscated 5 snap caps because they looked like ammo and weren't in the original packaging! They were packed in a small ziploc I believe.

AA rules regarding ammunition, just to compare to the rules you've examined for your airline.
    https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/firearms-and-ammunition.jsp

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Flown on American a few times with a couple pistols. They must be locked in a case that cannot be opened with the latches undone. Ammo must be in original container or one made to store ammo. Locks cannot be TSA locks either. Just have to declare them when checking in and sign a form that states they are unloaded. I have yet to have them acually verify that they are.

Top Bottom