• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I know. How can a guy be old and never had to clean a gun?

What do you need to clean a gun? I got this from the net:
    A basic handgun cleaning tool set includes solvent to help remove lead and powder fouling, lubricant (gun oil), a bore brush, a patch holder and patches, and a cleaning rod. A few more items can come in handy, like a nylon cleaning brush, a small bore light or flashlight, and cotton swabs for tight spaces.

I had an old Outters 22 cleaning kit from 1990 that I found with their solvent and gun oil, and rod and bore brush and patches.
    I went to a shop and bought bore brushes for 38 and 9mm.
    Even though my old kit had solvent and oil in it, I bought some great spray, "Break Free CLP (cleaner, lubricant, and Preservative that they recommended, "toothbrush," more and larger pads, etc.

I had an old unused can of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber that I used first to get the worst of the 2 guns I was cleaning: S/W 64s (64-7 and 64-8) b/c I'm selling the 64-7 tonight and wanted to "pretty" it up a bit.

Well, the rod would not screw into the 38 bore brush. How can this be? Surely they are of universal size!
    Looks like a have to buy another rod? Really?
    Why didn't the shop warn me that my rod in my 22 cleaning kit might not accept bore brushes of larger calibers?
    It looks like it should screw in and I kept thinking it was me, but I tried over and over again and I know how to screw. :dunno: But, it would not "catch" and work its way in.
    Then, I found there wasn't a patch holder in my kit, but there were patches??? I am flabbergasted!!!
    Then there is the working of the solvents: no miracles there, even after using both of them.
    The "toothbrush" didn't seem to remove any grime that I could tell.

All in all, not a very good experience.
    Fortunately, I wasn't needing to get both 64s shining like new with all vestiges of black "smoot" removed, so it did improve it.
    I wonder what removes the ring build up toward the end of the cylinder?
    Since I didn't have a rod to use on the bore brush, I couldn't really "scrub" the cylinders, just had to settle for using the patches.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hard to figgure out...

Most non-shotgun cleaning rods, of any length are "8X32" threads.
    The cleaning brushes, and jags, or patch eyelets are the same 8X32 threads.

Now, I have bought some cheap brushes at gun shows that were some kind of Metric thread, and would not fit the 8X32 rods.

For what it is worth the "Standard" is 8X32 threads...Bill.

PS: After some research, it looks like you will need one of these if you want to use your old Outters rod..
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...adapter-converts-outers-rods-to-8-x-32-thread

PPS: If it was me, I would just run my 8X32 tap down my old Outters rod, and call it done...Bill.

Last edited:
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Hickok45 on youtube has a pretty good video on how to clean a revolver. He also has a video on how to clean a semiautomatic, mrgunsngear has a good cleaning video on a Sig Sauer pistol that can apply to other handguns as well. Good luck

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If your guns have been shot for a while without cleaning or at least a couple drops of clp, the toothbrush won't touch it. The feed ramp on automatics, even with regular cleaning, require some vigorous rubbing to get down to the polished ramp that used to be. The tooth brush is mainly good for cleaning areas like the slide or other 90* areas that are tough to get into but don't see direct grime...(if that makes sense) It can help to soak the barrel in clp and just let it sit while you detail the rest of the pistol. The longer the clp sits on the build up the easier it comes off. I usually drop my barrels in a Ziploc bag after I soak a few of them in clp and carry on about my business for an hour or two. Most of that build up will wipe away and what is left usually only requires a fingernail to break it free from the surface.

Not all cleaning kits are the same. I've had a cheap chicom kit that wouldn't thread anything other than the included brushes... I bought two Pro-shot cleaning kits, one is the pistol kit and the other is a rifle kit. They are pricey, but they come in a great box that fits in a range bag and they are top notch. I refill the clp bottles from a bulk bottle. I also like to lube my harder run weapons using alg go juice. It is the only lube that keeps my 45 acp AR running. CLP just doesn't have the staying power to keep the bolt free in the carrier.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A lead away cloth is a must for a revolver, especially if it's stainless. Makes short work of what can be a lot of scrubbing .

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If this is going to be a serious hobby for you. You need to invest in some good cleaning gear. I use one piece Dewey rods for my rifles, they also make smaller rods for pistols.
    I use Pro shot brushes, jags, and patch holders. I have over the years made my own kit, so to speak, and have acquired all tools necessary for different weapons systems. I am very meticulous with my gun cleaning and care.
    You should be too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If this is going to be a serious hobby for you. You need to invest in some good cleaning gear. I use one piece Dewey rods for my rifles, they also make smaller rods for pistols.
    I use Pro shot brushes, jags, and patch holders. I have over the years made my own kit, so to speak, and have acquired all tools necessary for different weapons systems. I am very meticulous with my gun cleaning and care.
    You should be too.

1. Point made. I'm sure I'll grow into it.
    2. I've only been into this since May, going from CC 38 revolver to other 38s to a bunch of 9mms, and some 22s along the way, with the 45 being a surprise.l3. I just got another gun tonight, a specialty one that I fell into, but I'll start another thread about that.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have a winchester universal cleaning kit and an old Outers kit.
    To use brushes with the short rod (using it as a short, 1 piece), i have to use an adapter piece. It came with the kit, it's about 3/4" long, same diameter, the female side of it is 8x32 -- as others have said.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yeah, there are more than one thread size used in cleaning rods. I have adapters to fit the various rods and brushes. Over the past 30 or so years I have accumulated several cleaning kits, bags of patches, cleaning solvents, carbon removal cloths (for stainless only).

I have purchased several kits, solvents, patches Clp etc. at various stores when hunting season is over at 20% ~ 30% of retail! I actually have one suitcase full and a partial. I also have special bore guides, chamber brushes, brass and fiber "toothbrushes", one piece rods, 50 BMG cleaning rod and associated gear. I have copper solvent and other specialty solvents, all make the cleaning process much easier and more effective.

What I have is necessary as my son and I collect firearms and have over 35 different calibers and many different handgun, shotguns and rifles of various designs and construction. We do shoot just about everything we own and are pretty anal about cleaning and maintaining our guns. I would advise all that wants / needs cleaning supplies to watch the firearm products in the big stores like Wally world and RK etc., at the end of the hunting seasons for extreme bargains!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just had someone pm me about coming over to the house and helping this poor soul learn to clean a handgun: awesome.
    I would tell you who it is, but maybe he doesn't want 14 other requests for the same. :lmfao:

I am so excited to be coached/tutored so as to know the shortcuts and proper tools to use.
    I always take too long doing anything that I'm not familiar with until I have some experience with it, so this way, I'll learn w/o looking at a few youtubes.
    Hopefully just learning how to break down each weapon with help.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The running joke in the shooting sports is the bad juju of cleaning your gun before a match. It is amazing how many handguns develop never before problems after a break down cleaning.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The running joke in the shooting sports is the bad juju of cleaning your gun before a match. It is amazing how many handguns develop never before problems after a break down cleaning.

1. My Dad taught me to never change the oil before a trip.
    2. The one time I did it 40 yrs. old or so, I changed the night before and the next day I noticed some oil on the driveway where I had parked the car and I looked: I forgot to put the drain plus back in and all the oil was on the ground.
    3. If I hadn't of noticed some oil I would have burnt up the engine and ruined our vacation.
    4. Now, you need to realize I have been changing my own oil for decades in multiple cars and MCs: never had done anything so stupid before.
    5. Dad was right. You might not be concentrating on your oil changing procedures if you are in a hurry to get ready for a trip. :dunno:

Top Bottom