Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, Oct 2017, who's going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Haven't been since 2013, but thinking it's now time to return for another visit. No particular reason I've not returned, just always seemed something else came up.

Any others plan on attending?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I stopped going when half of the whole world attended.
    It took me 3 hours to travel from the main road on the
    West to the front gate.
    There was no more deals. If I did not want to pay the price.
    The person behinds me did.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    With the firearms market in state it's in I'm hoping stuff will be cheap. That being said it will be whole new ballgame for the spring show. The story I got was that Knob creek is making the vendors carry two million dollar liability policy to set up starting in 2018. This will push out a lot of the small guys. I'm betting if they stick with that plan the gun show part will be cut in half at best.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    With the firearms market in state it's in I'm hoping stuff will be cheap. That being said it will be whole new ballgame for the spring show. The story I got was that Knob creek is making the vendors carry two million dollar liability policy to set up starting in 2018. This will push out a lot of the small guys. I'm betting if they stick with that plan the gun show part will be cut in half at best.

Wow. What's the reasoning behind that, do you know? Did something happen to trigger it? Or is it just the number of super expensive items sitting on tables for 4 days was just making the owners of Knob Creek nervous.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Wow. What's the reasoning behind that, do you know? Did something happen to trigger it? Or is it just the number of super expensive items sitting on tables for 4 days was just making the owners of Knob Creek nervous.

I'll be there. It's their insurance company pushing the issue, not the owners. Not sure why either, I'm not aware of anything that happened. I know the owners got the effective date pushed back from Fall 2017 to Fall 2018 to give vendors a chance to find affordable insurance (plus probably hoping their insurer will change their minds in the mean time). Those two dates will probably be my last time with tables unless the insurance issue goes away or I manage to find a company that will insure an individual hobbyist for a small amount of $$$. Insurance through the NRA might be an option, but I haven't looked into it. This will totally change the character of the show and shoot if it takes effect. My advice is to go now and enjoy it as much as possible before things change. Weird thing is that the shooters on the firing line won't have to have insurance even after the change, but the table holders will. Makes no sense to me.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Last time i attended was probably '99 or so- loved the ground shaking thunder of the open shoot! The suppressed carbines plinking at steel was cool also, never having witnessed suppressors in action before. Didn't go there to shop, but browsed the tables- a lot like the 1500 show- lotsa stuff, pretty much standard retail prices. Glad i went, but not gonna wait 3 hrs in line. Plus, it's a bit of a drive from central In.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Insurance is about making money, by getting a share of what others make.

Always follow the money

zx7rcatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Madison area

Wow, that's crazy!
    Myself and some friends drive down on Friday. the crowd is just a little less crazy.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    You would think that there insurance would offer some kind of rider policy that Knob creek could incorporate into the table rent. They have a waiting list as long as your arm to get in to set up. They could add a couple more outbuildings or just lot space for outdoor vendors to generate more revenue.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Wow, that's crazy!
    Myself and some friends drive down on Friday. the crowd is just a little less crazy.

Ah, but the machine gun rentals aren't open on Friday and you have to be there pretty much the second they open to get on the list for a jungle walk spot. It is fun, but not Saturday with rentals and night shoot fun.

zx7rcatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Madison area
    Ah, but the machine gun rentals aren't open on Friday and you have to be there pretty much the second they open to get on the list for a jungle walk spot. It is fun, but not Saturday with rentals and night shoot fun.

I go to shop, so Friday is better for me lol. its less than 2 hours from my house, I have actually been all 3 days a few times.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    You would think that there insurance would offer some kind of rider policy that Knob creek could incorporate into the table rent. They have a waiting list as long as your arm to get in to set up. They could add a couple more outbuildings or just lot space for outdoor vendors to generate more revenue.

The interesting thing is that their insurer for the event wants the vendor's insurance policy to name Knob Creek Range as some sort of co-insured!

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Yeah, I was being polite, lol. I'm no insurance guru, but it definitely got my attention as out of line.
    It is called an additional insured. Essentially, an entity is named on a policy to create coverages afforded under the vendor policy for the benefit of the owners. The AI provision is typically in every commercial lease space/tenant and owner lease I have ever reviewed. Not out of line at all because as invitees on any premises it creates layers of protection for the owners.
    Risk transfer is not a bad thing but carries some cost for us all. Typically-it is a cost of doing business.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    If you haven't been it's something to put on your hit list. After that no reason to go back.

Huge crowds and definitely no deals on anything.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    For those that haven't operated a medium or heavy machine gun, especially a large caliber like the M2 .50 BMG, it could be an "enlightening" experience. You can see them in the movies and on film, but up close and in person has a completely different visceral effect.

John

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    If you haven't been it's something to put on your hit list. After that no reason to go back.

Huge crowds and definitely no deals on anything.
    I would say if you want to buy bulk Ammo your probably right. Those deals are way better on the internet for sure. Maybe one big dealer will have a good deal on bulk like your saving shipping cost. If you figure your gas , admission and packing it a country mile did you really save anything. If you looking for something old or odd this is the place. Not saying you won't have to pay up for that item but ally of these guys don't sell online so you can find things that you won't see anywhere else. A few years back someone had crates of Romanian pellet rifles for $15 ea. I bought 5 and I wish I would have bought a whole crate full.

Top Bottom