• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    We headed up to the in-laws in MI today. The MIL had been complaining about one of her older Tom turkeys had been going after her lately. That means he would surely go after me and my family when we arrived. I had her permission to shoot him if he did.

I had readied my 22 pistol just in case. We arrived and got the stuff in the house without issue. But the turkeys headed over and one chased me. It was the older one. I put a bullet in his head. He dropped and flopped around for a short time.

My kids, 9 and 7, witnessed this. They were happy as the bird wouldn't bother them anymore. I called them over to his carcus. This was the first time they had ever seen something shot. I have always preached safety with firearms. They do a great job when we are shooting. But the lesson today is what could happen if they break the 4 (or 3, depending on who's camp you're in). They witnessed how a little .22lr killed this bird. I could see that it struck a chord with each of them. "He was living 1 minute ago. Now he's not. Mistakes with guns can do the same to you or someone else. You must always follow the rules" was my lesson for the day.

They understood.....then wanted a few feathers from it's wings.

Just realized I had INGO swag on so a pic was mandatory.

vFN6y5u.jpg

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Good job using the situation to teach the kids a valuable lesson. My sons have had debates with other kids at their school who say "a .22 can't kill you". My boys try to educate them that a .22LR can be fatal very easily. Kudos to you for being a good dad and teaching your kids well.

CornMuffin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Alot of people are suprised by this, but .22 round is the number one human killer. Alot of people miss use them thinking they cant kill you. This was an awsome lesson. I have three kids of my own, and me and my wife have been discussing when we are going to start getting them bb guns and small caliber guns, so we can start really showing them gun safety. We are very stern with then now and we, always tell them how dangerous they are and that they should never touch a gun if an adult isnt around. We tell them when an adult is around because we dont want them to be so scared of them that they wont use them in a time of need. I really like the fact that you brought them over to the kill so you could explain what just happend. Very good parenting skills.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I thought you were going to tell us you all saw Selma Hayek in person. ;)

But seriously, good lesson! :yesway:

I would usually post a picture of "her" when her name pops up buy I'll refrain do to the seriousness of the subject matter at hand...

....for now.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good Dad!

I think kids need to see stuff like that. They need to learn that guns are real and death is real and that ****ing around and beating on Grandma results in getting shot by Dad.

Top Bottom