• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Gonna get some well deserved vacation soon and will probably find a beach. Gathering together the "what if" armorments and I have settled on the following. Regular Ruger LCP with extra mag and a box of extra ammo. This is my go everywhere gun. Second is an M&Pc with 2-loaded 12 round mags, 2-17 round loaded mags and another 50 round box. Finally a small backpak with a mini draco (folding brace & red dot) and 6-30 round mags. That stays secured in the car.

Some may think this is extreme but better to have it and not need it ... So what do you vacation with?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I too have an LCP that goes everywhere with me. Also Glock 19 with similar number of mags and ammo.

I have only recently started traveling with a long gun. Sometimes it's a Hi-Point carbine in .40. It's a cheap gun that I would't cry over losing, but it's a pistol caliber, and mags are only 10 rds.

I also have a Maverick 88 I've brought with me on a few trips. I have small kids though, so when we travel as a family trunk space is usually in short supply. I'm planning to get an AR pistol that will be used as a trunk gun for future road trips.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I too have an LCP that goes everywhere with me. Also Glock 19 with similar number of mags and ammo.

I have only recently started traveling with a long gun. Sometimes it's a Hi-Point carbine in .40. It's a cheap gun that I would't cry over losing, but it's a pistol caliber, and mags are only 10 rds.

I also have a Maverick 88 I've brought with me on a few trips. I have small kids though, so when we travel as a family trunk space is usually in short supply. I'm planning to get an AR pistol that will be used as a trunk gun for future road trips.

Dont some of the HI Point models take Glock mags? If so that would be better because you can get those in 30rd sticks.

EDIT: NM. I'm thinking of the sub-2000.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Dont some of the HI Point models take Glock mags? If so that would be better because you can get those in 30rd sticks.

I think you're thinking of a few Kel-tec carbines.

Pro-mag makes 14 or 15 rounders for the Hi-Points, but I've heard they are junk that can actually damage the gun. Hi-Point specifically states that using them voids the warranty, so I've never bothered with them.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I travel with my pack, rifle and pistol for vacations...
    -BOB ready for years in every way except only 3 days food
    -my AR in it's case with 8 mags, 30 rnd
    -either my LCP for beach or Shield for other locations for carry
    -If camping or State Park, my FS M&P w/ 3 21rnd mags

Snorko, you know we think alike, but I don't think you are paranoid for bringing those with you on what could be a 3 week hike!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That mag issue is why I only buy that type of gun that uses major mag types. (AR, Glock, etc)

Not only are they interchangeable with my other weapons, but I have more flexibility like high cap mags. Etc.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Depends on where we're going and what we intend to do there. If it's just a simple vacation, golf or visiting relatives for example, we take the same guns we carry every day. A pair of Glock 43s. If we're going to Colorado or South Dakota, we also take at least 8 rifles and about 3K rounds of ammo.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Depends on where we're going and what we intend to do there. If it's just a simple vacation, golf or visiting relatives for example, we take the same guns we carry every day. A pair of Glock 43s. If we're going to Colorado or South Dakota, we also take at least 8 rifles and about 3K rounds of ammo.

Your carrying enough to equip an infantry squad when you go out West. Anything out there that we need to know about? :D

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Sounds like fun! Just don't try vacationing at a beach in New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois (Lake Michigan) or California with this armament. Otherwise you could be taking a real long vacation courtesy of an Officer Friendly in one of these states. Otherwise - enjoy your vacation.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I used to throw a sub 2k in my edc pack. But I'm not a Glock guy, and cousin Dennis is... so off it went.
    Typically I just carry my edc 238 and I try to hunt up the extra mag.
    Maybe one of these days I'll run across a sub 2k in something other than glock configuration.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Sounds like fun! Just don't try vacationing at a beach in New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois (Lake Michigan) or California with this armament. Otherwise you could be taking a real long vacation courtesy of an Officer Friendly in one of these states. Otherwise - enjoy your vacation.

This is truth. Don't forget to add Delaware & Maryland too. My parents booked a place in Bethany Beach, DE this summer so we took the kids out there. No guns for that trip.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The "long gun" is probably overkill. Full crazy scenario, it is a bit of weight to tote. But could be traded for a moped and gas in a Mad Max scenario. :n00b:

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    On this topic of a vacation load-out, has anyone heard of a state (I'm thinking primarily of the Southeastern states as you head to Florida, South Carolina, etc.) that recognizes your Indiana LTCH and thus permits you to have a handgun on your person or in your vehicle, yet they limit you to only one firearm? In other words, is there a state in this region (the typical beach vacation zone) that frowns on you having a shotgun/AR/additional pistol in the trunk or glovebox in addition to the pistol you are already carrying? I am not aware of any, but I understand there is a great deal of collective wisdom here. Just curious.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Gonna get some well deserved vacation soon and will probably find a beach. Gathering together the "what if" armorments and I have settled on the following. Regular Ruger LCP with extra mag and a box of extra ammo. This is my go everywhere gun. Second is an M&Pc with 2-loaded 12 round mags, 2-17 round loaded mags and another 50 round box. Finally a small backpak with a mini draco (folding brace & red dot) and 6-30 round mags. That stays secured in the car.

Some may think this is extreme but better to have it and not need it ... So what do you vacation with?

Are you joking?

That's not extreme even if you're trying to swim.

Top Bottom