• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indycar:v1.1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Not close enuf to the track
    3 of us went to Atterbury today. Rented 2 lanes and shot for about an hour before 4 people from Bloomington showed up and sat up next to us. RO's were doing a very good job and I didn't pay any attention to the new people. Shooting from the 100 yd benches, I'm popping off 5.56 with a bolt gun and the next thing I know, it sounded like a howitzer going off next to me and the blast and concussion was awful. Targets and ammo were blown off my bench by the blast!

They were shooting a .338 Lapua Magnum with a brake on it. The break was diverting the blast directly at me. The sound of the report with
    all the concrete walls and baffling was tremendous. My rifle and optics are filthy from his spent powder. At the next Cease Fire we decided to leave.

While standing behind the yellow like while the range was cold, I spoke with them and said the blast was awful and that I had problems shooting with blast and the strong concussion. I said that is too much gun for a facility like this.

He got real defensive and started saying "It's legal though" and kept repeating it.

I replied, I never said it wasn't legal, it's too big for this facility and is bothering other shooters and you are not being considerate to them. A yelling argument then began.

We left and all 3 of us were complaining about headaches from the concussion.

I can't believe with the safety focus Atterbury has, that they don't do something about protecting nearby shooters from the blast and concussion from heavy rifles with brakes. The people on the other side of us had a .308 railgun with a brake and while the noise of the report were a bit louder, the blast
    was negligible.

I have no problems with .50 BMG and other big caliber rifles and enjoy shooting them. But the .338 Lapua with a brake in a baffled range where the benches are only 4 feet apart is not comfortable.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Does Atterbury ask what people are shooting these days when the assign a lane? Would seem they would have placed someone shooting a 338 farther down from other folks unless the place was full.

On the other hand, I get what you are saying and I have had folks next to me shooting big guns and it is no fun, but they paid for their lane as well.

Does seem like overkill as I think (been a while since I have been there) that Atterbury only has max 100 yard lanes open to public correct? I guess to get it on paper/get a scope setup initially it would be ok, but would seem you would want more distance with a 338.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I meet up with the guys for gun powder therapy I get a lot of grief about my AR-10 with a break on it.
    I now try and be considerate to those around me when I put this one on the line.

The shooter should have asked to be away from others if he had any idea his rifle would become a problem.
    That you near started a fight with him was a waste of your time and energy's. Seems not many of us are responsible for our effects on others these days.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Going to the gun range then complain about gun noise, gun blast and gun smoke.

You see the problem?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Kinda sounds like someone going to the race track and say the race cars are too loud.:dunno:

Having experienced these brakes firsthand. I see OPs point.

If you have a rifle/brake combo like this, you should position yourself away from other shooters if possible as common courtesy.

My neighbor has a rice rocket with an annoyingly loud fart can. Is he REQUIRED to not drive it late or not to stomp the gas? Nope. Does he do his best to nurse the long skinny pedal until he gets out of the hood? Yes. Because he is considerate.

Top Bottom