• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatSamurai

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2017
    South Bend
    I was in the military and I am looking to buy my first weapon since becoming a civilian. I just can't decide if I should get an AR-15, AK-47 or a Tavor... Could someone please give some input on these weapon systems if u have had experience with them? Thanks

Last edited:

FatSamurai

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2017
    South Bend
    Mostly for the range but also as a **** hits the fan self defense weapon because it seems that with every passing day people get more and more crazy...

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First off, Thank you, for YOUR Service .....

I have one AR, and ZERO ak's .....

I have 26 years experience, with the M-16, and have owned my AR, since 2004 .....

So I have 39 combined years of experience with this platform .....

I am VERY comfortable, with the AR .....

We, can give you advice, till the cows, come home .....

BUT the decision, is YOURS .....

Find people in your area, that are willing to go to the range with you .....

MOST of us, will go to the range, and "share our toys" .....

OR go to a range, and rent .....

get more experience, and then decide .....

If you get down to Indy, give me some advance notice,

and I'll let you shoot mine .....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Why not splurge and get all three (3) as budget allows?:ar15: That way each can be fun in its own way and then you'll be "heavily armed," at least according to the media.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and welcome to INGO!:ingo:

Regards,

Doug

FatSamurai

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2017
    South Bend
    That makes sense and thanks for the offer SSGSAD.

As for buying all three, money is real tight right now and it will be a few months before I can get the first one so....I'm just doing my research before I purchase. It would be pretty cool to own all three though.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I have an AR with a Strike Eagle 1-6x and a Tavor X95 with a red dot. Don't have an AK or experience so can't share anything you can't read online.

Which one? yes :):

You say you're ex-military so I'd expect you to have experience with the AR platform. Do you have experience with any of the others? Are you open minded or are you a "it isn't X so it's crap" kind of person? Bullpups are fun but they are also different, some people can't handle different. Do you have a significant other that might use it as well?

You say your intended use is "general/don't know" so any of them fit that criteria. I'm sure you know the AK will be someone handicapped at distance compared to the .223 but I'm sure that isn't news to you.

Do you like swapping parts and frankengunning it? very few aftermarket parts for a Tavor. ARs are like Honda Civics: everybody and their brother has one, no limit to the parts (or how much you can spend on them) and a monkey can build a "good enough" gun from bits. AKs not far behind.

Price plays into it as well, you won't find a Tavor much under $1500 whereas you can find ARs left and right for 1/3 of that and good ones for 2/3. AKs I know are less but don't know that market.

The reason I ask about the significant other is that I do have a better half but 1/4 would be closer to the truth. My wife's a foot shorter and might break 100 lbs wrapped in a wet blanket. The benefit of the AR is the adjustable stock to change length of pull when switching between us. The downside of the AR is the center of gravity is about 8" further from her center of mass and even with the stock adjusted she can only hold the darn thing up for a few shots at a time vs the Tavor which is the same weight but the cg is much closer and she can hold it up for a full mag which balances out the LoP being a compromise.

Technologically, the AK and Tavor are both long-stroke piston designs which are theoretically more rugged but all 3 are proven in the field. Obviously the Tavor, being shorter, will be more handy indoors or thick brush. The AR can be more accurate than the others but all 3 are good enough to get the job done (and better than most shooters).

If I needed to grab 1 gun fast, I'd reach for the Tavor. If something needed a hole far enough away the red dot wasn't satisfactory, I'd have time to put it down and grab something more suited.

BUT... for the price of a Tavor, you can have a mid-high end AR.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Obviously I don't know you FS, but if I were in your situation, I would lean toward the AR-15..... for now. Probably a platform you are least somewhat familiar with, and mags and ammo are relatively cheap. Over time, maybe you will have the opportunity to try an AK and/or Tavor, see if you like them, and if so, maybe add one to the stable later. Just my 2 cents.

Welcome to INGO!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Grab an AR-15. You are going to have a great time with it. In my opinion it destroys the other option in a shtf scenario. You can change it up however you want. Inexspensive, you can fix it if it breaks. Its the america rifle. After the AR-15 get whatever you want

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    AR. You're probably familiar with it, better ergonomics, better quality-to-cost ratio these days. I also no longer have any AK rifles. I've also shot a Tavor for T&E for our department and wasn't impressed.

FatSamurai

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2017
    South Bend
    Sorry it took so long to respond everyone. I was at work and had a lot of stuff to do after words I did like how you mentioned I should go with the platform I know more and have experience with. That idea actually makes alot of sense and yes I have a better half but TBH she actually dislikes firearms after seeing her cousin shoot himself in the stomach with his dad's handgun. So I think I will go with building myself an AR for now. Then after a while (when I save enough money) I might go for a Tavor or AK-47.

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Why not splurge and get all three (3) as budget allows?:ar15: That way each can be fun in its own way and then you'll be "heavily armed," at least according to the media.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and welcome to INGO!:ingo:

Regards,

Doug

Are you suggesting he get an "ARSENAL" of assault weapons that anybody can easily buy and take partial responsibility for what the guy did in Vegas? :laugh:

Can't go wrong with an AR unless you have a bad taste for them from your time in the service (thanks BTW!)
    If not the AR, then My choice would be the Tavor or a SCAR 16. Both are pretty darn sweet, but pricey

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    After hearing what the budget and probable use will be, I'd say you've made a good choice to go with the AR. For what you'd spend on the Tavor you could build a home defense carbine AND a dedicated marksman rifle at current discounts. Or a real nice carbine and some ammo.
    Thanks for your service. Good luck on the rifle.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    First, thanks for your service. Wish you were a little closer, I would take you to the range I belong to and let you shoot my LR-308, a couple of AR's and an AK. Don't have a bullpup. Personally I favor the AK for general use. I don't like the 5.56 round that much. Yeah the AR is more accurate at long range, but loses its ability to penetrate much. The AK is plenty accurate for most uses at normal ranges (300 YD's or less) and does carry far more energy at those ranges, as well as being less affected by wind. As far as dependability, I don't think the AK can be beat, period. In a SHTF situation I would reach for the AK before the AR. Actually I would probably use my LR-308 or a Garand, dependent on what the situation required. As others have said, it is mostly a personal choice. Ammo costs for the AR and AK are nearly the same and both 5.56 and 7.62 X 39 are widely available.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Right now in my opinion is time to get an AR, prices are way down since 2008 and AK's are at all time high due to import ban. So I say it makes sense to buy an AR, I recently pick up a LWRC for under $1000.00 and it's on par with fit, finish and just as functional as other AR's that cost double. I also pick up high quality optics for great prices to go with my AR.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm not a fanboy of cheap weapons. SHTF scenarios or even a panic response after a terrible situation cause prices to go up on higher quality guns.
    NOW is the time to grab your evil black gun, mags, accessories, or ammo. Even with the Reeps holding power in office they're afraid of the mouthy Dums.
    Quality AKs are kinda spendy When you can find them.
    ARs have flooded the market so parts, accessories, and rifle prices had hit rock bottom.
    I like the AR for standardized parts interchange.
    Tavors never felt comfortable to me so I have little time (less than a half hour) with them.
    Welcome to INGO btw.

Top Bottom