• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    So, Gun Broker has decided to forbid the sale of (currently) perfectly legal items? Why don't they ban rhe sale of class 3 weapons while they are at it? Then ban the sale of evil "assault weapons"?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    If these are opportunist scalpers who immediately snagged all they could from retailers and are now reselling them for massive profit . . .
    1. It doesn't surprise me there are those who would do this . . . it's routine practice in the TV video game box industry
    2. This could explain why Gun Broker pulled them down: discouraging scalper behavior.

There are certainly those who would argue this is true Adam Smith "Wealth of Nations" Capitalism at work. To me, it's more like the Hunt Bro's behavior. Those old enough will recall their deliberate manipulation of the silver market.

John

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If these are opportunist scalpers who immediately snagged all they could from retailers and are now reselling them for massive profit . . .
    1. It doesn't surprise me there are those who would do this . . . it's routine practice in the TV video game box industry
    2. This could explain why Gun Broker pulled them down: discouraging scalper behavior.

There are certainly those who would argue this is true Capitalism at work. To me, it's more like the Hunt Bro's behavior. Those old enough will recall their deliberate manipulation of the silver market.

John

I know who the Hunt brothers are.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The only crap I've ever given about the panic markets of the past 10 years is when I've been able to buy things I actually want/need (not panicked to get) without paying the ridiculous prices most were. People can list whatever they own for sale at whatever price they want. People can buy whatever they want and pay whatever the buyer is asking. These aren't life saving medications, the last scraps of food within a 100 mile radius or cases of bottled water in a hurricane ravaged area. I've never had the slightest interest in a bump fire stock or a gimicky trigger and nothing that has occurred in the past week has changed that.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The only crap I've ever given about the panic markets of the past 10 years is when I've been able to buy things I actually want/need (not panicked to get) without paying the ridiculous prices most were. People can list whatever they own for sale at whatever price they want. People can buy whatever they want and pay whatever the buyer is asking. These aren't life saving medications, the last scraps of food within a 100 mile radius or cases of bottled water in a hurricane ravaged area. I've never had the slightest interest in a bump fire stock or a gimicky trigger and nothing that has occurred in the past week has changed that.

I became extremely frustrated trying to buy a Wii in 2006 just after they were released. It was my introduction into TV video game box scalping which I'd been completely unaware of. Quickly discovered bots had been created to continuously scan Wall-Mart, Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and all other national on-line retailers for stock and immediately order them all if any were discovered. Stock would appear and disappear in a matter of 10 seconds or less, and not from back-orders. This wasn't the stuff of urban legend. There were (and probably still are) on line forums devoted to this kind of scalping with the more successful of them bragging about how many they've snagged. They were being offered up by the droves on ePrey for 2X - 5X of full retail. It was a collective version of the Hunt Bro's strategy. I've been told it goes on with concert ticket sales in spite of anti-scalping efforts. I can only hope each of those engaging in it were left holding the bag with dozens of them after the market demand was satisfied (eventually saturated) and demand suddenly plummeted. There was chatter on the scalping forums expressing some worry about it.

I did eventually get one, a week before Christmas, when a local Best Buy got stock in and had a special early morning sale. From past experience they knew how to queue buyers and issue one per customer tickets for the available stock quantity to avoid a customer riot of the Wal-Mart kind. It was a very orderly process. Failing that I wasn't going to buy one from a scalper. It would only reward their behavior. A few months delay if necessary to get one at mfr retail price was inconsequential.

John

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I became extremely frustrated trying to buy a Wii in 2006 just after they were released. It was my introduction into TV video game box scalping which I'd been completely unaware of. Quickly discovered bots had been created to continuously scan Wall-Mart, Amazon, Best Buy, Target, and all other national on-line retailers for stock and immediately order them all if any were discovered. Stock would appear and disappear in a matter of 10 seconds or less, and not from back-orders. This wasn't the stuff of urban legend. There were (and probably still are) on line forums devoted to this kind of scalping with the more successful of them bragging about how many they've snagged. They were being offered up by the droves on ePrey for 2X - 5X of full retail. It was a collective version of the Hunt Bro's strategy. I've been told it goes on with concert ticket sales in spite of anti-scalping efforts. I can only hope each of those engaging in it were left holding the bag with dozens of them after the market demand was satisfied (eventually saturated) and demand suddenly plummeted. There was chatter on the scalping forums expressing some worry about it.

I did eventually get one, a week before Christmas, when a local Best Buy got stock in and had a special early morning sale. From past experience they knew how to queue buyers and issue one per customer tickets for the available stock quantity to avoid a customer riot of the Wal-Mart kind. It was a very orderly process. Failing that I wasn't going to buy one from a scalper. It would only reward their behavior. A few months delay if necessary to get one at mfr retail price was inconsequential.

John

I live right north of the Motor Speedway. I remember when the 1st visual scalpers (tickets) appeared. Then it was a tidal wave of them. These guys were brash and in your face. Jumping in front of your car/bike with a handful of tickets trying to rip you off. As the race started there were always a lot of them pushing through the traffic with handfulls of tickets as the green flag dropped. I always smiled at their failures.

I hate scalpers.

Top Bottom