• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Disclaimer, I have nothing to do with this auction or anything in it. I'd never heard of Earl's till I saw the add today.
    I saw an add in the Indiana Auto & RV magazine today. Over 100 guns and ammo at auction this weekend at Earl's Auction Company at 5199 Lafayette rd.
    They have a listing on their website earlsauction.com. Had some interesting guns listed, I wasn't impressed with their $20 per firearm transfer fee though.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I wouldn't attend a "gun auction" if they paid me! I have never seen any firearms sell at a reasonable price (at least in my mind) at any auction where a number of firearms are listed.

I have bought a few at estate sales where there was no emphasis placed on the firearms and only one or two were for sale. Normally firearms auctions draw many people that have no idea of what a firearm is actually selling for in the market. I have seen old (not antique) no name single barrel shotguns sell for more than $100 these sell for$50~75 on the market, and old break-open 25 cal Smith revolvers for $100 to $200, I have past up buying the same guns at Gun shows for $60!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I couldn't be talked into going to another auction ever! It was actually quite funny to see people fighting over old scrap iron shot out pea shooters. Guns went out of this world on price.

People get caught up in the moment and way over spend. Sometimes guns are being sold from someone that passed away too. Family in crowd that will spend anything to get grand pappy gun back.

Save yourself the trouble and stay home.

Oman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    I have to agree with Sniper. I haven't had any luck at getting a good deal at a gun auction. I could usually buy new for the price these used guns go for.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I'm not a fan of Earl's gun auctions. He charges $20 per firearm for transfer, of course there is also a 10% buyers premium. I'd have to look at one of my old receipts but I'd bet I paid the 10% premium on the transfer too.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I went to one large auction at this place and won't return. Prices and fees had nothing to do with why I'll not return.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I went to the auction there for the HUGE sale that had Johnson rifles and several NFA items. A Gen 3 G17 went for $750. Whu?? The FA full size Uzi went for $10K.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went to the auction there for the HUGE sale that had Johnson rifles and several NFA items. A Gen 3 G17 went for $750. Whu?? The FA full size Uzi went for $10K.

I went to that one too. It was my first auction, but fortunately I had an experienced auction-goer with me that gave me good advice. I was there for 8+ hours. If you could wait it out, the prices came down later in the auction. I picked up a couple of rifles and some surplus ammo for decent prices once the crowd had started to thin out. I was really hoping one of those Johnsons would slip through the cracks (insert "That's what SHE said!" joke here), but no luck. Early on though, you're absolutely right... prices were insane.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Never bought a gun at auction. In your guys' experience would something like those pythons be higher or lower than the going price? I know it depends on the crowd. But if someone like me wanted to get my hands on a Python without selling a kidney would a auction be a good place to go? Or am I going to have to pay big bucks for a python no matter what?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never bought a gun at auction. In your guys' experience would something like those pythons be higher or lower than the going price? I know it depends on the crowd. But if someone like me wanted to get my hands on a Python without selling a kidney would a auction be a good place to go? Or am I going to have to pay big bucks for a python no matter what?

Most likely it would go higher at the auction. "Auction fever" kicks in and people get into bidding wars on something really desirable like a Python. But yeah, you're probably going to pay big bucks for one no matter what.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

I went with my sights set on buying a Python. It was an older stainless model, non original grips, scratched up and noticeable wear. Figured it may be in my price range and I could fix it up.

Boy was I wrong! Bidding started at 1500 and quickly went into three grand territory. I had four grand on me in cash. Was really hopeing to buy some guns. Hurt going home empty and made the three hour drive a long ride.

Like I said NEVER again. Guns go stupid high.

However I have done good on buying tools by the box. I select out what I want then sell the rest for what I paid.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I wouldn't attend a "gun auction" if they paid me! I have never seen any firearms sell at a reasonable price (at least in my mind) at any auction where a number of firearms are listed.

I have bought a few at estate sales where there was no emphasis placed on the firearms and only one or two were for sale. Normally firearms auctions draw many people that have no idea of what a firearm is actually selling for in the market. I have seen old (not antique) no name single barrel shotguns sell for more than $100 these sell for$50~75 on the market, and old break-open 25 cal Smith revolvers for $100 to $200, I have past up buying the same guns at Gun shows for $60!

I've seen that too, but some of the best bargains in my safe came from auctions also. I have been to small and large sales where the guns went for absolutely insane prices. However, I too have seen the opposite. I attended an auction of 100+ guns last month where only 10% or so of the guns sold for anything near what they would have retailed for. I picked up two rifles for less than half what I would have paid in any gun shop. Even after figuring in 10% buyers premium and transfer fees.

I go to auctions expecting bidders to be uninformed and prices to be crazy, but I go with a pocket full of money for when they aren't.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

I went to that one too. It was my first auction, but fortunately I had an experienced auction-goer with me that gave me good advice. I was there for 8+ hours. If you could wait it out, the prices came down later in the auction. I picked up a couple of rifles and some surplus ammo for decent prices once the crowd had started to thin out. I was really hoping one of those Johnsons would slip through the cracks (insert "That's what SHE said!" joke here), but no luck. Early on though, you're absolutely right... prices were insane.

I went to that auction too. I think we were there 4 hours. There were some amazing items that I would love to have had, but as was mentioned earlier, auction fever extinguished any hope of a reasonable buy. But, at an auction a couple years before (different venue) I scored a nice 58 yr old bolt action rimfire.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I went to that auction too. I think we were there 4 hours. There were some amazing items that I would love to have had, but as was mentioned earlier, auction fever extinguished any hope of a reasonable buy. But, at an auction a couple years before (different venue) I scored a nice 58 yr old bolt action rimfire.
    I left that auction empty handed. I picked up my safe queen at an estate auction in Putnam County. 1949 Winchester Model 12.

Top Bottom