• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bulldogs42

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I just wanted to share some info I recently obtained from a friend in law enforcement regarding the upcoming deer season. This relates to those who use guns like a Marlin 44 mag lever action (or the 35 Remington in 1.8 that I use). Hopefully the legislature can remedy this quickly. The following is copied from his Facebook post from today.

"Attention all public land deer hunters. The legislators messed up when they were changing the laws for deer hunting in Indiana this year. It is stated in the statute that no centerfire rifle's are allowed to be used on public or state ground this year. Rifles that use handgun cartridges are NOT allowed on state or public property for the purpose of hunting deer. This information is coming from the upper echelon of the DNR and it has been verified through Indiana conservation officers. If you hunt DEER on state or public ground you are only allowed to use a shotgun or a muzzleloader or archery equipment. I have not gotten verification if regular deer approved handguns are allowed for on state or public private for deer hunting."

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'd take anything you read on FB or any part of the internet with a grain of salt UNLESS there is a link to a in.gov site.

I'm not saying you're wrong. But hearing it from a law enforcement officer isn't all that creditable either.

I'll wait for some links posted about the subject.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Go here>>>> https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2343.htm
    Download or read pages 23 & 24 of the Indiana hunting and trapping guide. Everything you read in FB is false.

Here are some screen shots from that Guide.

vBSUaSA.png

orvWD6h.png

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Bigtanker has the best proof of what is allowed and how it is most accessible to hunters as the hunting guides are available at any WalMart or place that sells a license. I would carry this with you in your day pack. If stopped, show them this. This is in writing and is a way better reference than "I read it on Facebook." LEO's are also never the best source for Hunting regs knowledge. I typically have copies of these in my vehicles just to answer questions like these.
    If the LEO pushed the issue, you have the condensed regs, distributed by DNR, right there for him to see, what better argument is there?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I always thought that the Hunting Regulations book was the "law of the land" for that year, if there's nothing in the book, then it's not so

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    People are confusing "pistol caliber" rifles, which states bullet diameter of .357" or larger with the new "high power rifle" regs, which states bullet diameter of .243"(6mm) or larger.
    The "old" pistol caliber rifle cartridges (.357 magnum, 44 magnum, etcetera) are still legal for public ground.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    People are confusing "pistol caliber" rifles, which states bullet diameter of .357" or larger with the new "high power rifle" regs, which states bullet diameter of .243"(6mm) or larger.
    The "old" pistol caliber rifle cartridges (.357 magnum, 44 magnum, etcetera) are still legal for public ground.

Reading this makes me think different.
    House Enrolled Act 1415 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly (state legislators) and signed by the Governor allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used on private land during the deer firearms season, but removed the ability for any rifle to be used on public land for deer hunting.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I am SO confused ..... FOR example .30 Carbine, AFAIK, has NEVER been legal for deer .....

Is there ANY handgun "season", this year ?????

AND, NO "pistol" caliber rifles, at all ?????

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    IC 14-22-2-8Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report

Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that fires a bullet that is two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in diameter or larger.
    (4) The rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches, but is no longer than three (3) inches.
    (5) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (6) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.
    As added by P.L.110-2016, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.195-2017, SEC.7.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    IC 14-22-2-8Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report

Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January 1, 2020.
    (b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt deer subject to the following:
    (1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned land.
    (2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16) inches.
    (3) The rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that fires a bullet that is two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in diameter or larger.
    (4) The rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches, but is no longer than three (3) inches.
    (5) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
    (6) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.
    (c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.
    (d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.
    (e) This section expires June 30, 2020.
    As added by P.L.110-2016, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.195-2017, SEC.7.
    Anyone see how this could include a muzzle loading rifle or effect them?.....seen where some are grasping at the idea!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Things have changed. Before, you couldn't use .45-70 because of the 1.8" max length cartridge even after the 2016 changes (but .308 was fine :dunno:). Now the cartridge length limit has bumped to 3" and .45-70 Gov is specifically mentioned as legal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just downloaded the 2017 Hunting & Trapping Guide from the DNR site.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2343.htm

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/17INHD_LR_2.pdf

Page # 23:

Centerfire Rifles
    Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a
    bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have
    a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and
    have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches
    are legal to use only during the deer firearms,
    youth, reduction zones from Nov. 18-Jan. 31
    (in zones where local ordinances allow the use
    of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons.
    These rifle cartridges can be used on public and
    private land...

It says I'm good for regular firearms seasons with my .357 rifle. :dunno:

:popcorn:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom