• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulWest

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2017
    West
    I live outside of city limits, on county land, on 4-5 acres. What are the regs for shooting on my property?

Thank you very much
    :ar15:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Generally speaking, based on what I've seen discussed on this forum:

- Keep projectiles on YOUR property, away from YOUR NEIGHBOR'S property.
    - Refrain from annoying your neighbors with early morning or late evening shooting. (Shooting the whole blessed day annoys them too).
    - Be nice to the Deputy or CO that visits you because of a report of gunfire. They are usually sympathetic to you unless you're being an asshat.
    - Lots of / large volume discharges of Tannerite will bring the LEOs mentioned above.
    - Get acquainted with your neighbors before you have all of your friends over for range day.
    - If you see your neighbor is having an event with lots of visitors, disengage for another day.

That is a start. The laws for rural firearm discharge in Indiana typically aren't there, you're free to shoot on your private property.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    ive spoke to my local leo they said if ur going to shoot tannerite give them a call and let them know that way they dont have to send a officer out.

invite neighbors out to shoot?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

- Refrain from annoying your neighbors with early morning or late evening shooting. (Shooting the whole blessed day annoys them too).
    - Be nice to the Deputy or CO that visits you because of a report of gunfire. They are usually sympathetic to you unless you're being an asshat.
    - Lots of / large volume discharges of Tannerite will bring the LEOs mentioned above.
    - Get acquainted with your neighbors before you have all of your friends over for range day.
    - If you see your neighbor is having an event with lots of visitors, disengage for another day.

That is a start. The laws for rural firearm discharge in Indiana typically aren't there, you're free to shoot on your private property.

IndyJohn is giving away wisdom for free, pay attention. :thumbsup:

I live in Marion County. I try not to shoot more than my neighbors, and if they are entertaining, or they have kids way out back, I postpone. It's easier to sight in a gun another day than it is to move, because you pissed off a neighbor.
    If I have a friend coming over to shoot, I will generally give the neighbors a heads up, so they are aware, and I don't have to cancel on a friend.

Common courtesy, that we were all taught by the time we went to first grade.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The old saying “do unto others as you would have done to you” goes a long way here and will probably help keep your neighbors friendly.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

As the recipient of said projectiles, I would add:

Make sure you have an adequate backstop. Do not rely on trees to stop your bullets from leaving your property.
    If your bullets leave your property and cause harm or damage to your neighbor or their property and can prove the bullets came from your property, you can be charged with criminal recklessness. If you are convicted, you will lose your LTCH.

I know the above to be true because my neighbor was convicted, and I drove to his hearing in Indy where his LTCH was revoked.

In addition to the criminal charges, if convicted, your neighbor can pursue a civil case against you for damages. I believe the judge told us we could sue for 10 times the actual damage incurred. We chose not to pursue those damages because our main goal was to eliminate the unsafe nature of the shooting. The judge in our case actually banned firing any weapons on that property by anyone as long as the man convicted resides there. It was more than we asked for and seemed a bit harsh, but it was the judge's call...not ours. It has been a lot more peaceful and we are able to enjoy our property fully again.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you are looking for law, because you live outside city limits, that would be county or township. There could be specific regulations about shooting, land use regulations or zoning. Without knowing where you live (and having access to the reg books), I can't give an informed opinion. I am not aware of a state law (in Indiana) that applies.

As for avoiding liability in a lawsuit, there have been some good suggestions above.

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My neighbors shoot way more than I do.
    But if I fired as many shots with a flintlock as they do going bangety bang bang with plastic whachacallits then they would be unhappy. Their doggies would be unhappy. They'd get tired of their windows rattling ten minutes between concussive thunders. So yeah, I try to be a good neighbor and not antagonistic.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Know anyone with a Bobcat? Ask him to come over a shoot with you after he's done using it to make your berms. Or just hire him outright and shoot with him for friends sake.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I like to shoot my neighbors a text to let them know. Used to just be for a heads up but the new people have an infant and I don't want to ruin nap time.

Top Bottom