What's The Longest You've Gone Between Buying A Gun And Shooting It?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I thought this might generate some interesting responses. What is the longest you've taken between buying/taking possession of and actually shooting a new gun? I'm not talking about an obvious wall-hanger or something sooo fragile or rare you'd never shoot it ever. I'm referring to a functional, serviceable gun, new or used, that you bought intending to shoot, put away, and didn't get around to shooting for a long time. "I put it in the safe, forgot it was there," or "I snuck it in, waiting for the right time to tell my wife," or whatever.

To start off, mine isn't very dramatic or comical. I bought an 1896 Krag-Jorgensen in .30-40 Krag in Feb-2014 in California. As you know, the PRK (Peoples Republik of Kalifornia) has a wait period on everything and I didn't have a C&R to bypass that. During the wait my employer announced it was closing our SoCal office and I ended up taking their relocation offer to Ohio. So for the next several months I was in moving-prep mode, packing, looking for a place to live in the new city, and all that. My uncle in Indiana stored my guns for me until I bought a new safe but I was so occupied with the aftermath of the move and the new work location that I never took the Krag out to shoot. December 2014 I drove to Las Vegas to visit family and took the Krag along with me. My nephew and I went up to Clark County Shooting Park (excellent range, highly recommended) and I finally shot the Krag. It functioned beautifully and we had a blast with it. So it was about ten months between the purchase of the Krag and the first shooting of it.

Anyone else?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I have a stainless Colt Gold Cup Trophy sitting in my safe unfired. I bought it possibly a day or two before Sandy Hook. As we all know, the guns and ammo dried up quickly after that tragedy. A couple of guys I know were aware that I had that in my safe, and each one offered me considerably more than I paid for it. I never bothered firing it in case I wanted to sell it for what one of them offered. After a few years, I moved on to other guns and never bothered to dig it out. Perhaps one day.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well let me just say that between my surgeries and recovery from said surgeries, I have been unable to fire any of my guns for over 3 years. With one small exception with my grand son a couple of months ago. I'm in serious withdrawal!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    A few weeks, maybe a month. Don't have quite enough to lose track and not quite to the point I need to sneak them in (but I think I'm getting close).

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I picked up a cheap .22 revolver at auction a couple years ago, and when I actually took possession, it had a .22 WMR cylinder instead of the .22 LR cylinder as advertised. I didn't have any .22 WMR, and this was when it was still pretty difficult to find, so it took 8 or 9 days to scrounge up some ammo.

Other than that one instance, it's never been 24 hours.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Years.... sadly....I have ARs that I built when my kid was born that I never shot (4 years now).... I also have a couple Rem 700 that I never shot.... I also have NFA SBS Rem 870 that I have had for almost a year that I havent even brought out.

And all of these are for no reason besides I havent.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Working guns are usually fired in a few days. Non working guns waiting on parts or repairs can take years.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I used to just take a gun home and shoot it as soon as I bought it. However, now with NFA stuff that's a bit different. I can't think of any guns I could just not shoot and put in the safe though; unless it's a duplicate of something, then maybe.

Top Bottom