• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Howdy Ingo,
    Just wanted to share my range story for today, some may find it informative. I usually go to Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester. It is my favorite place to shoot in the area. The rifle range goes out to 150 yards and has steel targerts, his pistol range has plate racks and spinning targets. Shooting rifles has never been the same once you start to shoot steel.
    Anyways I went there yesterday and when I pulled up to the shop there was a sign that read rifle ranges are closed. I walked inside and talked to Dennis, the owner, and he would not tell me why the ranges were closed. He posted a guy's name on the wall along with a telephone number, Dennis told me to call him and ask what happened. I thought someone had destroyed his steel, so I asked him if I could shoot paper. He would not let me. So I said goodbye and left.
    I have heard of a range called Bass and Bucks in Wabash. I made the trip the down there, I wanted to see how different kinds of surplus ammo would group in my Mausers.
    I arrived there. It is a huge overall shop, they had a nice selection of firearms for sale, but their archery side was enormous. It is fully stocked. I paid the $15 to use the range for the day. I was alone for a while until a father and son (75&50 years old probably) came to sight in their muzzle loaders for deer season. The dad did not bring hearing protection, he just turned off his hearing aids and I guest that was good enough for him.
    That place is nice and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. I think next week I will make the trip to Young's Longshot in the Fort Wayne area. I miss shooting steel with rifles and that is probably the nearest range to me, Buck's steel targets are 600 yards+ and I don't think I could shoot that far with iron sights.
    I may also look into NPCCC and the Michigan City Gun Club

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Their Facebook page indicates it a dispute about improper backstops. Someone was setting up dear stands on a nearby property and called them to complain about ricochets. Their response seems to have been to shut the range down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    save your gas money

All I will say is save your gas money to drive to N.W.Indiana.
    That is unless you are going to the DNR ranges, Kingsbury 100 yard range and Winamac 200 yard.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I did not call the guy whose name and number was on the wall, if he would not let me shoot there then that was the end of the matter for me. He has said in the past people have brought green tip 5.56 and other steel core rounds and his steel has been destroyed because of it. I thought that is why he closed the range down. Citizenkane thanks for the information, I think the neighbor was pissed from the gun shots more than anything else, may have scared away the dear.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Steel targets can not be shot at Winamac, I used to like going there. I have had too many loaded guns pointed at me, I will probably never go back. I am still upset with the new DNR regulations as well

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Steel targets can not be shot at Winamac, I used to like going there. I have had too many loaded guns pointed at me, I will probably never go back. I am still upset with the new DNR regulations as well

I didn't think steel was permissible at Winamac, but I have not been there since probably July this year so thought maybe something had changed since July? Not to "high-jack" this thread, but I do somewhat agree with your sentiments of the Winamac range.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A range going down without a decent fight would probably mean that it was in the wrong or at the least it would cost them considerably to bring it up to the "Desired" effect.
    As much is it hits the suck it's necessary to take every precaution not to give the antis and nut cases any reason to harm our sport and cause in any way, shape, or form.
    Me? I'm up for the fight but I'm not wearing their shoes.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I did not call the guy whose name and number was on the wall, if he would not let me shoot there then that was the end of the matter for me. He has said in the past people have brought green tip 5.56 and other steel core rounds and his steel has been destroyed because of it. I thought that is why he closed the range down. Citizenkane thanks for the information, I think the neighbor was pissed from the gun shots more than anything else, may have scared away the dear.
    I would concur in the possibility that the neighbor is mad because the deer are skittish from the noise and are most likely scared off. As for the idiots that shot green tip or other AP rounds at this range - double shame on you!!! We had the same issue at a range in another state and the rules stated no AP ammo and some idiots shot AP anyway, we're caught and charged with destruction of property. Fixed that problem fast. I hope Denny gets the situation squared away soon, he is a great member of 2A fraternity.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I use to live in Rochester and was a member of Sand Burr Range. I looked up the guy on Face Book( Kevin Ogle) you can see by his post he looks like a hard core hunter. My gut feeling is it's more about the disturbance of his hunting than ricochets.

Top Bottom