• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So me and my family will be flying to Florida in December to visit Disney World, and I want to take a handgun, but I have some issues. I will try to keep this brief (unlikely).

This will be my first time flying ever (I think I'm looking forward to that more than Disney lol).

We will be there for almost a week, only visiting the different Disney parks, and staying at one of the Disney owned resorts/hotels.

I'd like to take a handgun with me to florida. I understand that my Indiana LTCH is honored in Florida, although I must conceal at all times in Florida.
    I also understand that I can legally fly with my firearms, as long as I declare my firearm(s) in checked baggage, and I keep them unloaded, in a hardsided secure/lockable container (no plano boxes :-) ), with locks that only I have the key/combo to.

Both the Indianapolis airport, as well as the Orlando Florida airport, defer to TSA regulations regarding flying with firearms, so no issues there.
    We will be flying there with Southwest Airlines, and should be returning with them as well (although those tickets aren't bought yet). They are personally fine with traveling with firearms, following TSA regulations of course. So no issues there.

I realize that it will be nigh impossible to carry inside Disney World itself. I never planned to, and see no real pressing need to. It's my understanding that they now have metal detectors at the entrances, and that they no longer offer secure storage of firearms at the park entrance.

I mainly wanted my handgun with me at the hotel, for short excursions outside, and so that I'd have something better than a sharp stick if all hell were to break loose while me and my family are so far from home (such as a North Korea attack, among other, however remote, possibilities).

So I think I have all of my boxes check-marked. But there's just a couple gray areas that I could use clarification on from those more experienced than I.

First off, we are staying at one of the Disney owned resorts/hotels, I don't remember precisely which one.
    I'm assuming they don't have metal detectors or vigorously check for firearms as guests stroll in. If I'm wrong, please chime in and let me know. It's my understanding that "no Firearms" signs in Florida do not have the weight of law, but at the same time, I do not want to be booted out, or somehow mess up my family's vacation experience. We can't afford to take vacations often, so this isn't something I want to risk messing up.

Secondly, my family has elected to take advantage of Disney's "Magic Express" service. This service essentially puts you on a motorcoach at Orlando airport that will drive you directly to your Disney resort/hotel, while your luggage from your flight will be picked up separately by staff and delivered straight to your room for you.

My plan is to have my declared firearm in a hardsided locked case, and have that case inside one of our checked luggage bags. That way it's not obvious to anyone that there is a firearm inside.

Since we will not be picking up our luggage ourselves, I am concerned if this will conflict with any laws (Florida or TSA), or company policies or employee behavior, with regard to my checked firearm.

Because I've never been flying before, I don't know the details of their processes. I don't know if my checked bag with its declared firearm will, for example, have an identifying tag attached to it, showing to staff that it has a firearm inside.

I don't know if Disneys Magic Express staff will have any way of finding out, either purposefully or accidentally, that there is a gun in my bag, and then getting in a huff about it.

If we weren't using that service, I'd feel pretty confident in understanding everything well enough that I wouldn't encounter any issues.

I tried doing several google searches about it, but failed to read anything pertinent.

Does anyone here have experience flying to disney/florida with a firearm, especially when using their Magic Express service?

Thank you all for your patience in reading this long post.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Note: They don't even like off-duty LEO carrying while at the Disney properties. If you're going to wear it in a park - conceal it very very very well. Be prepared to turn around "to go get something" if they're wanding and/or have metal detectors.

Other than that, there's no way for anyone to see inside your bag as you carry it into the hotel.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am looking forward to seeing other people's experience and replies here, but my :twocents: would be to go to disney with a decent EDC knife in your checked bag, and don't hassle with the firearm. The Magic Express service would complicate things in my opinion as it is my understanding that the firearm is held in luggage services until you personally pick it up for many airlines now. Also the theme park and their resorts have a no firearms policy.

I fly a lot for work and personally, but have never flown with a firearm due to my concern over getting stuck somewhere on a connecting flight with less than friendly gun laws or the complications to taking a firearm with me for carry. I've typically driven if I wanted to take a firearm with me for protection once I get there.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yep Disney Express will complicate things. Especially if the airline holds the bags for pickup. I believe you can check your firearm at the resort but that will be a hassle. You aren't supposed to have guns in the resort. Personally I would take it to my room and lock it in the safe or secured in the TSA approved case, but that might not be an option if someone else is moving your luggage.

Do not take a gun into the park. Not worth ruining your vacation if they catch you. Take a water bottle to refill during the day, a flashlight, and a small trauma kit. Call it good.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    Just returned from a Disney visit in August. They have pushed out the security ring and have enhanced their measures. My family was leaving the Contemporary resort on the monorail. We had to go through a metal detector and the bags were screened in an x-ray. Security check points at the front of the Magic Kingdom are gone and are now at the ticket and transportation center. It is close to walking into an airport terminal. Unless you have something very small, I.E. NAA 22, it is impossible to get a firearm into the parks. If you are using the Magical Express option, you will not be allowed to check a firearm.

All in all, Disney has made it more of a hassle than it is worth.

Good luck.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You are correct Disney does not wand/metal detectors at their resorts, so you will be ok there. The parks are a totally different story, they do not mess around, they will even empty out your wifes purse.

As far as the shuttle from the airport we use it every time. You grab your luggage from pick up and wheel it down to Disney, they are at the very end of the lower level of the airport. So, even if there was a sticker or tag, you would have more than enough time to pull it off. If you feel that uncomfortable about it take a cab.

Have fun in Disney. We have a time share with Disney and will be down there for three weeks at Animal Kingdom Villas in December.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    My primary concern was with the disney express service. I was unsure if the airport would allow baggage with a checked firearm to be picked up by disney staff, or if the Disney staff would even know or have problems with it.

It would appear that will in fact be an issue.

Unfortunately, I'm not the one organizing this trip, so i can't elect not to use the express service.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    You could always check that bag without using the Magical Express tag. You would have to pick that bag up at luggage claim and carry it on the bus. You can carry at Disney Springs, no security checks there. Sea World and other parks are moving to the same level of security as Disney.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This will be my first time flying ever (I think I'm looking forward to that more than Disney lol).

We will be there for almost a week, only visiting the different Disney parks, and staying at one of the Disney owned resorts/hotels.

I mainly wanted my handgun with me at the hotel, for short excursions outside, and so that I'd have something better than a sharp stick if all hell were to break loose while me and my family are so far from home (such as a North Korea attack, among other, however remote, possibilities).

My opinion is save yourself the stress and avoid the potential hassle and mean looks from the wife (or organizer) if bringing the handgun does not go perfectly smoothly.

• First time flying - while not rocket science flying can be stressful in itself.
    • Disney parks are a definite GFZ, as well as knives, sharp sticks and probably pepper spray.
    • Disney resort - hard to conceal carry in your Speedo at the pool. When sleeping simply secure the doors. If you decide to carry I would conceal very well as I imagine they will boot you out if caught and maybe your family too.
    • Just avoid the short excursions outside the park. If you are worried then instead of saving a few bucks stocking up on snack food or buying souvenirs offsite just pay resort prices.
    • If Little Kim drops the bomb a handgun isn't going to get your family home a thousand miles away.

Enjoy the trip and Have a Magical Day!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Just returned from a Disney visit in August. They have pushed out the security ring and have enhanced their measures. My family was leaving the Contemporary resort on the monorail. We had to go through a metal detector and the bags were screened in an x-ray. Security check points at the front of the Magic Kingdom are gone and are now at the ticket and transportation center. It is close to walking into an airport terminal. Unless you have something very small, I.E. NAA 22, it is impossible to get a firearm into the parks. If you are using the Magical Express option, you will not be allowed to check a firearm.

All in all, Disney has made it more of a hassle than it is worth.

Good luck.
    I have not found anything at Disney to be more hassle than it's worth. The check points to get on the monorail are nothing, not even 30 seconds to get through, and that's with others going through at the same time (well, aside from the few minutes I spent talking with the security guy about the weather, his home state, family.......) .

to the OP:

If you don't have a plan, Disney is not the place for you. That being said, if you do your homework, you actually can vacation there and have a great time. We go once a year, and have a blast, but we drive down, I'd much rather have the freedom to do as I please, on the spur of the moment, rather than fly and depend on someone else to get me to and from. Don't get me wrong, I've done that too, just don't care for it.

Oh, and every Disney resort I've stayed in, has a safe in the room.

And, edit to add, enjoy your trip! You'll have a great time!

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Unfortunately I was just there in July. I opted to just leave the guns in the car at the airport as it seemed to be just too much of a pain in the ass to take. We stayed in a resort and only went to the parks and back. The only time I would have been able to even have it on me would have been from the baggage claim to the resort on the bus anyway.

Just FYI, they don't make kids go through the metal detectors, so load them up before you enter the park.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    A few things we just got back from WDW last week we drove so I can't comment on magical express. However we stayed at Pop Century and I advised them ahead of arrival that I would be traveling with firearms. Upon arrival I requested to speak with a manager, strangely enough he knew exactly what I needed. A private room was offered to disarm My 92G and Bug were placed in separate Hornady lock boxes and placed in a larger safe deposit style box which required two keys for opening.

The staff was very helpful and had no issues with checking in and out, if you are going to check in and out its best to call 10 to 15 minutes as Hotel security is required to assist with checking in and out.

There are detectors at Magic kingdom and Epcot. None at the water parks and selective scanning at the other parks. I found it odd that I was required to pass through a metal detector every time. And Each time it went off which was comical as I have an old injury which left me with an assortment of metal in my pelvis and Hip. The first few times I was pretty tolerant about it until some over zealous security guard refused to acknowledge my medical card. So I let him run me through it several times setting it off each time, then he kept asking about keys weapons etc, at that point I was annoyed and asked him you can see I don't have pockets I lifted my shirt a bit above my waist, where my scar starts, Still clueless he calls over one of the sheriff's to wand me and low and behold it goes off! Since he was really courteous I just handed him my card, long story short fast passes for the family for the remainder of the time.

My take a ways, if you have short hair, tall and physically fit you will be run through the detector every time

Disney Springs is GFZ however it is not posted, and concealed means concealed, there is no longer any separation between 21 and over areas and general shopping and dining areas. For me I would not go there unarmed. Too many people and token security guards at entry points only. If nothing else SA must be in over drive while there.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    All sounded good till you mentioned the transportation deal. I have carried on the Disney property every time I went for the last 15 years. I carry in all hotels, food establishments and such. I think the last park I went I left it in the room due to metal detectors now. Can't you just rent a cheap car and keep your own luggage.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I feel your pain. I did the same trip earlier this - from Southwest Airlines to the Magic Express to a Disney Resort. I let the Mrs do the planning - I just spent the $$$. After I looked into it, I left the gun at home. Wasn't worth the hassle.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would just leave it at home. Take a good EDC knife in your checked baggage, like someone has already suggested. Relax and enjoy your family vacation. You can't have your gun on the airplane, it's not welcome at the resort, and you can't take it into the park. Why would you bother to even take it? For the 10-15% of your trip that you can actually carry it? Absolutely not worth the hassle of worrying about the status of your firearm all of the time.

:twocents:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I would just leave it at home. Take a good EDC knife in your checked baggage, like someone has already suggested. Relax and enjoy your family vacation. You can't have your gun on the airplane, it's not welcome at the resort, and you can't take it into the park. Why would you bother to even take it? For the 10-15% of your trip that you can actually carry it? Absolutely not worth the hassle of worrying about the status of your firearm all of the time.

:twocents:

Thats the conclusion I came to. Although I did make a G-10 shiv that I carried with me everywhere while there. It wasn’t much, but it was better than not having anything.

Top Bottom