• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Read a story about a Texas home owner who was killed in a home invasion. Appears based on the story he saw the armed intruder and yelled at him to get out. At that point shots were exchanged. Sad and my prayers go out to the family.

But what can we learn from this tragic event? Because most of us are genuinely decent people, are we at a disadvantage because of it? Would it cause us to react more slowly because we don't want to believe one its actually happening and could that be a handicap? I wonder if he felt compelled to give a warning?

Thoughts

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Like the old adage I firmly believe in, Shoot them and then drag them into your house.
    Then drag them back out over the blood tail.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Suddenly finding yourself and family in mortal danger...shock, disbelief, adrenaline pumping...yeah I could see where someone loses against a thug who is already set and ready for whatever may happen.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    I agree. As good people, we hesitate because we really, really don't want to kill anyone. Speaking fo myself, I'd want to make sure the guy really needed shot before I opened fire. The bad guy would have the advantage because he would shoot immediatly without a thought.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2017
    Hendricks County
    But what can we learn from this tragic event? Because most of us are genuinely decent people, are we at a disadvantage because of it? Would it cause us to react more slowly because we don't want to believe one its actually happening and could that be a handicap? I wonder if he felt compelled to give a warning?

Thoughts

I think you have a point. If there is definitely going to be a fight hitting first is the best move. Easy to say sitting at a computer, though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I definitely dont want to kill anyone. But the op said, "saw armed intruder". My house is not large. If i saw an armed intruder at my house. I would not be yelling "get out" he already knows he shouldnt be there. What happens next is a tragic example of play stupid games win stupid prizes

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I agree. As good people, we hesitate because we really, really don't want to kill anyone. Speaking fo myself, I'd want to make sure the guy really needed shot before I opened fire. The bad guy would have the advantage because he would shoot immediatly without a thought.

I agree with you. I would have to be absolutely sure before I could shoot. If I had the advantage of seeing him before he saw me, maybe id be ok, but if we both confronted each other suddenly, I'm not sure.

Of course, if he did shoot first, I'd be depending on my incredibly hardy constitution to give me the ability to shoot him dead before I passed out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And as good people we do not go out and raid other good peoples homes. No, we do not set out to do anyone harm.
    And in this is the reason I would not hesitate. He is in my home. Came in with Malice and bad intentions. My only hindrance would be the mess.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    And as good people we do not go out and raid other good peoples homes. No, we do not set out to do anyone harm.
    And in this is the reason I would not hesitate. He is in my home. Came in with Malice and bad intentions. My only hindrance would be the mess.

Agree 100%. BUT, also be ready to tell LE that you will cooperate with their investigation but you need to consult your attorney first. Make sure you process everything that happened and that you can articulate what happened and why you took the actions that you did.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Im sorry, but if you are trying to get into my house uninvited and armed. Your warning is the two shots to your chest.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Like the old adage I firmly believe in, Shoot them and then drag them into your house.
    Then drag them back out over the blood tail.

I hope you'd enjoy your prison sentence.

As far as "what would I do"?

This is all a what-if situation/scenario. There are a hundred variables - and each variable/set of variables has their own responses - which brings in to play even more variables.

There is no "one thing" that could've been done. Only stimuli and responses.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I just did, more confused than ever. Maybe our INGO Lawyers could disagree on the definition. It might be my yard?

Curtilage can mean your yard - yes.

But shooting someone in your yard is a whole other can of worms than shooting someone inside your house.

It's ALL dependent upon the totality of the circumstances.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...he saw the armed intruder and yelled at him to get out.

Should have racked his shotgun. That would have scared they bad guy.

Home invasion means no need for warning, don't tell him to leave, shoot him to leave! Proactive killing is sometimes ok!

If you enter my locked, alarmed house I am afraid for the life of my wife and myself. Prepare to suffer the consequences.

My son, who is now out of state and the only other one that has a key to the house, is very aware that he must call first before coming into the house at night.

Top Bottom