• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My son is pretty good with his rifle and I want to pursue that as a hobby for him. Are there any places around Indy that offer clubs or instruction?

I'm not really qualified to teach him since I've not really studied it. I guess I could learn but would rather start with good instructors for him. He's 9.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    thanks guys. I think we can make the one in Nashville in December.

What's the other historical shooting group that ATM helps(ed) out with?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    thanks guys. I think we can make the one in Nashville in December.

What's the other historical shooting group that ATM helps(ed) out with?

https://appleseedinfo.org/

But I think he is done with them and moved on to RR with everyone else. There was a dustup several years ago that caused pretty much every Hoosier instructor to bail. (if they were not removed unfairly by the founder first) Though to their credit, nobody walked away from their commitments that I am aware of. If the were not removed byHQ in the disagreement, they chose to fulfill their commitment and work out the rest of the season. And even those removed, are such upstanding individuals they refuse to talk negatively about their former org. As far as they are concerned, whether you go RR or AS, you will receive quality training and excellent historical lessons.

Im not sure how well Appleseed has recovered in this state. Cant say I see much about their events anymore. I'm not sure they have adequately rebuilt their instructor base.

From what I have seen, Appleseed is nearly irrelevant in Indiana given the overwhelming RR commitment to education. Same high quality education from the same instructors, just a different name. (and a slightly different target)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Whatever you decide, make sure HE is the one leading the way with the passion for his course.

It may seem odd to hear it, but I speak as a coach who has seen it happen: the more structured and rigorous you get with target shooting, the more young kids drop like flies.

The REALLY interested kids end up shooting better than anybody you've ever known (wow? Cool! Right?), and you almost have to cover the brakes from time to time to make them seek balance in life.

The kinda interested kids hang tough for months to a year, and they learn a lot and shoot pretty well--better than most adults ever will--but they drop out fairly soon. Some come back in their 20's and 30's, and some stay gone.

The uninterested kids and the ones who really only like the IDEA of shooting hard, if ALLOWED to do so, will thankfully weed themselves out in a month or two..Same for the parents.

But. And a big one. If ANYBODY in the whole equation pushes really hard on either group 2 or 3, the results are disastrous. The kids burn up under the fireball of somebody else's passion for the sport, and when it's finally time they speak their own mind...well, they may have come to hate it so much they never really shoot again.

That's a risk you just can't take, because even the kids in group 3 might have developed into casual shooters if allowed to just shoot some damn cans in the backyard instead of being dumped into USA50.

Since group number 1 is pretty rare, just approach carefully, find a good coach, and on the drives back from practices...mouth shut, ears open to let the kid communicate.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh yeah...and no speed shooting until he can shoot one shot well, every time. Under careful study with good coaches and fellow students, that may not take long...or it can be a lifetime, depending on his own definition of that one word "well".

You can teach an already-precise shooter to go faster, but it is really a lot harder to get a fast shooter to perfect precision.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Try 4h. I'm Vigo county coordinator, 4h is officially about safety, education, & marksmanship in that order. Riley Conservation Club is having 22 Rifle shoot next Saturday, come on over & let him shoot knockdown targets in our Novice class. Like a big shooting gallery with 40 different targets. Other kids will be there, we'll treat him right.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Try 4h. I'm Vigo county coordinator, 4h is officially about safety, education, & marksmanship in that order. Riley Conservation Club is having 22 Rifle shoot next Saturday, come on over & let him shoot knockdown targets in our Novice class. Like a big shooting gallery with 40 different targets. Other kids will be there, we'll treat him right.

I can attest to this. Hawkeye7br has a bunch of 4h youths that have been beating me at these matches all year. Great group of well rounded kids that make you proud to be around them.

You should come out and join us hoosierdoc. You and your boy can shoot the same rifle.
    We set up Friday afternoon, then a bit of practice. It'd be a great time to get a little hands on and speak with the match director about the particulars, whether you are free to shoot the match or not. We can likely get you hooked up on equipment, if you are not already there.

At the risk of speaking for Hawkeye7br, we have some of the best riflemen in the state, (some are best in the country) at these matches. At the same time, it is a very beginner friendly non-cutthroat match.

The payback system is quite interesting. I have won money twice, from scoring placement, and I'm not very good. It has been way cool to see some youths win $ because they happen to fall in the right place in the scoring.

As impressive as the shooting is watching the youths, them spotting for other shooters is something to see also. Hearing the calling out of specific targets and scoring is something, coming out of a young person.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom