• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    I am looking for suggestions for a AR 15 light. What are the pros and cons of; a pressure switch, a thumb switch, (InForce as an example),and a toggle switch (Streamlight as an example)?

I would primarily use the weapon for home defense.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I use a surefire M951 mounted on the right side with a pressure switch on the left right where your thumb naturally wants to go.
    I was trained to use the light to ID the target not to sweep rooms "light on ID shoot light off".
    Since I have rejoined the civilian world I have watched experts slice the pie with a light on ?
    So I would assume the type of light would be dictated by you training. I think that a momentary switch is the way to go you lose fine motor skills under pressure more so in low light. Have you ever watched a person not fully trained attempting a mag change at night?
    The switch needs to be easy to operate and quick to engage you do not want to move your non firing hand in order to engage the light on and off. So the type of switch that allows you to do that and you are comfortable with is the right one!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use a surefire M951 mounted on the right side with a pressure switch on the left right where your thumb naturally wants to go.
    I was trained to use the light to ID the target not to sweep rooms "light on ID shoot light off".
    Since I have rejoined the civilian world I have watched experts slice the pie with a light on ?
    So I would assume the type of light would be dictated by you training. I think that a momentary switch is the way to go you lose fine motor skills under pressure more so in low light. Have you ever watched a person not fully trained attempting a mag change at night?
    The switch needs to be easy to operate and quick to engage you do not want to move your non firing hand in order to engage the light on and off. So the type of switch that allows you to do that and you are comfortable with is the right one!

I like this thinking. I won't be using the light to clear rooms as it is just my wife and I and we are in the same room. I would use to light to ID.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    A really simple set up I have is a G2 Surefire (the cheap one), buy a "tail-cap switch" off of e-bay (pressure switch, $8), and an ElZetta AR front sight mount ($30). I put the pressure switch on the right side of the forearm where it rests under my fingers when gripping the forearm. Works great and you don't spend a ton of money!

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I like a TLR1 mounted at the 12 o'clock position in front of the front sight post. As a right handed shooter it is very natural for me to activate the momentary on paddle with my support side thumb. This won't work with an A2 type sight, but on flat top rifles works really well. That being said, this would be for a CQB type carbine rather than anything used for distance. The spill from the TLR1 is much more optimized for a CQB environment.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Old school Surefire with LED replacement bulb.

zu2DR4j.jpg

xPdhFxR.jpg

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    I run a Streamlight Protac HL in a KZ mount on my AK, but I can easily swap it over onto my AR if I want. Haven't tried a pressure switch yet, but I can easily operate the light with my thumb as it is now.

62Yy6np.jpg

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, how does that pressure switch work? Does it take much hand pressure to illuminate the bulb? And is it momentary? Thanks.
    It is momentary only. It doesn't take too much pressure to activate it. My hand sits about half/half in front of that handguard and the vertical grip, leaving my thumb free to activate the pad.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I run a Streamlight Protac HL in a KZ mount on my AK, but I can easily swap it over onto my AR if I want. Haven't tried a pressure switch yet, but I can easily operate the light with my thumb as it is now.

62Yy6np.jpg

This style is my favorite. Pick your quality brand of choice for the light and mount.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I've been having much the same question go through my head recently. I'm not made of cash so staying budget minded has me watching very closely to see who gives the best bang for the buck

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm in this process right now. Currently I have an INforce 800 lumen set up on my 45acp AR pistol. I have had it installed at 12 o'clock, but like it at 9 o'clock just a bit more.

I tried a few pressure switch lights but did not like having a cord. Seems like a catch liability when groggy at 4am waking up to a bad guy coming in the window.

The inforce looks crummy in pictures, but it's actually a very well built well thought out light. The lever to flip between on/off or momentary is easy to manipulate and it is bright as hell. I know some people have arguments against bright lights, but I don't think that home invasions are generally drawn out enough to have much affect. I know the layout of my house and furniture with my eyes closed so I will have that advantage on top of a blinding sunlight like beam blasting the bad guys eyes while their pupils are dialated. Let there be light. If I were a swat officer making tactical entries into unknown buildings I could see the purpose in Lights on, Id, Fire, Lights off. Home defense is a totally different ball game than offensive tactical ops.

The cons of the inforce is its size. I generally like to extend my off hand pretty far forward on the handguard, but to operate the inforce I have to hold it more like a subgun. No issue here for home defense, my longest shooting lane would be maybe 10 yards in my current residence. Likely the encounter would take place at 5 to 15 feet, a close grip will not affect accuracy at these ranges. I always shoot with the light installed to keep a continuous feel, I have seen guys pop their lights off at the range so they don't mess them up. That confounds me just as much as the guys who never shoot their defense ammo because it is too expensive.

I tried quite a few lights on an ar at the gun shop and kept coming back to the inforce because of its simple operation, lack of control cables and taped on switches, and its all around robust design. My thumb rests on the switch making the operation as intuitive as the Bluetooth light/grip that costs 3x and I get to keep my mft grips.

jlNZ5gX.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It is momentary only. It doesn't take too much pressure to activate it. My hand sits about half/half in front of that handguard and the vertical grip, leaving my thumb free to activate the pad.
    What are you, 21, if you call THAT old school? Old school Surefire was a foregrip light, or a forearm mount, or even older, Laser Products 6P with that new dangled shock isolated bezel!;)

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am looking for suggestions for a AR 15 light. What are the pros and cons of; a pressure switch, a thumb switch, (InForce as an example),and a toggle switch (Streamlight as an example)?

I would primarily use the weapon for home defense.
    If you have a pic rail, I’d look into an X300A with a Unity Tactical EXO.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I run a Surefire X300A at the 12 o’clock position just forward of my front sight. Momentary or constant on are both easily utilized with my thumb. Works for me.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    A really simple set up I have is a G2 Surefire (the cheap one), buy a "tail-cap switch" off of e-bay (pressure switch, $8), and an ElZetta AR front sight mount ($30). I put the pressure switch on the right side of the forearm where it rests under my fingers when gripping the forearm. Works great and you don't spend a ton of money!
    I don't know if it's the same ElZetta mount that you have but I really like this one. I used a Surefire G2 Tactical, it has the momentary tail cap. It's very easily for me to activate with the side of my index finger knuckle. Also it keeps it ambidextrous.

4E5B024F-AAB1-496E-A041-9B08D3EC471E_zps6mtsvupj.png

FA6EAA73-EE8B-406C-8D22-436AD20AB632_zpsaci9gu8w.png

Top Bottom