• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I listed a handgun on armslist.com. It's not an expensive gun to begin with it, and it had some blemishes on the nickel finish slide, so I priced it accordingly. Keep in mind I've never sold a gun online before, so I was just expection "normal" responses ending in a sale.

I had several of those mostly illiterate "I'm salivating for your gun" comments where you never hear anything else from the person.
    I had several of the "your gun is ridiculously overpriced and I won't pay any more than 40% less than what you are asking!"
    There were several sincere at negotiating a better price, but initially I had enough interest that I wasn't willing to cut the price just yet.

Always, in my responses, I was polite and thanked everyone for their interest, and in the end I had 3 offers that seemed reasonable and sincere.

The first seemed really solid, the guy definitely wanted to buy the gun, at my asking price. Then in his follow up email he said that he lives in Texas and he is making arrangements with his FFL and that he'd like to get my phone number and address and make arrangements for someone from his ffl to stop by and pick up the pistol.

Ummm, what???

Ok, so the guy is willing to pay for shipping, ffl costs, and to have someone pick it up? I emailed back, again being very polite, with a "no thank you", but I did include a link to where he could buy a new one online since he was willing to pay shipping and ffl fees.
    Now, I'm sometimes slow on the uptake, but even I could see something was very wrong here, and a little scary.

So on to the next offer...

This guy is local, and he initially offers me $100 in cash along with a treasure trove of some sort of welding supplies and hand tools.
    I never was sure what it was he was offering, but I politely declined but did tell him I'd consider other firearms as a trade.
    I get an email back from the guy that said "good luck, you'll never get what your asking for that gun.".
    At that point I had what I believed to be a solid offer (see #3) so I emailed back and said "oh ok, I better let the guy know who's buying it at full price." To which he replies "I bet he doesn't have a carry permit.". Huh? You think he can't buy my gun without a permit? lol at this point I'm thinking this is a kid who just can't afford the gun and is ticked because I wouldn't wheel and deal with him. I emailed back and asked he if was even old enought to buy a gun. He responsed back that he was 23 and has been buying guns since he moved to Indiana, and that I should "cut the bs" when doing business with a marine. Okee doke.

Ok, now to #3, the deal is done offer...

So I get an email from another local fellow who is really interested in the gun. A couple emails back and forth and he offers to buy it, at the asking price. I say "great, I'll call you later today to arrange the meet after work". A few pleasant emails back and forth with more details, and talk about how he's out enjoying the great hunting weather. Oh good, he's a hunter, I can put this to bed and use the cash from the sale to stock up on ammo!

Nearing the end of the day so I email him where I'd like to meet. No response. I call the number he left, no answer, voice mail message says "you have reached the voice mail of...(silence, no name provided)". I thought it was odd, but I left a message saying that I'm leaving work and that I can meet him within an hour.

No call back. I call again, this time it goes immediately to voice mail. I emailed again with no answer. The the agreed upon hour came and went I accepted that he had a change of heart, but I was really irritated at this point so I emailed and said "I don't mind that you changed your mind, but couldn't you have just said so instead of wasting my time?", and I took the ad down from armslist.com.

Around 8:30pm I get a text that says "Where are you located? I have the cash." Here go the willies again... I asked where he was and he responded that he was on the south side of South Bend. I responded that I wasn't really interested in going out at that hour to meet a stranger to do a deal concerning a gun. I told him if he was available the next day during the 5 o'clock hour and could be in a specific area, then text me and we can see about making arrangements. I never heard back from him.

So, that was my experiece with armslist.com.

Anyone else have fun stories to tell about it?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It is a pain, unless you word your ad very specifically. Like, I will not travel, will not ship to FFL, No trades, Price firm. Then just ignore all the emails that ask stupid stuff.

Schedule a meetup at a public place on your way home from work so it's not out of the way for you.

I had one guy stand me up, wanted to test fire an expensive gun at the range. I will not do that again. I was prepared to do a little training so at least it was not a total waste.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I've bought and sold a few guns in my day. I never use Armslist at all anymore. INGO classifieds or gun shows only for me.

Ill try the classifieds here next time, but I hadn't yet reached 50 posts st that time.

Either way, it made me change my mind about selling it and I've decided to keep it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I have bought several guns on Armslist and all have been smooth transactions.

I have also had NUMEROUS potential transactions that I quickly stepped away from when the responses did seem up to standards. Probably left a good deal or two on the table - but its not worth the headache.

Pretty much, if its not local and convenient, I generally don't bother. Much prefer INGO, my LGS and/or Gunbroker.

Gun shows have been a total bust for me since the internet became prevalent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Tried to sell a Diamondback .380 on armslist one time.. had to remove the add. Everyone who replied was not a person i felt willing to sell a gun too..

"ill take ur gun"
    "great! I can meet up with you tomorrow, you have an indiana state drivers license?"
    "NO but i was gunna buy ur gat wit no B*******"

no thank you

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have done my share of armslist transactions and have only had 3 that were questionable.
    I had a Glock 31 chambered in .357sig, sold it to a guy for $500 (Factory Glock branded night sights), the very next day it was for sale at $700.
    I felt lucky to $500 for it at the time. Anyway within a week or so, I put some of my .357sig ammo up for sale.
    Met a guy (different guy), sold him the ammo for what I felt was a fair deal for both of us. The next day, not only was it up for sale or trade, he actually used my pics as well. That one really irked me.

I had those two experiences back to back, so I laid off of Armslist for awhile. The 3rd deal was the typical quit communicating as the time got close for the deal to go down, then after an hour past our meet time, I got a text from him wanting me to drive the item to him and take even less for it after he already beat me down. This was a tactical pistol light, not worth the effort I had already put forth.
    I did reply with "No Thanks".

But I have had several good experiences. The key is to put a lot of info in the ad, without making it to lengthy and answer all possible questions to cut down on BS emails.

For instance if I were going to list an AR.
    My ad would look something like this:

Colt 6920, 16in. CL barrel, 1/7 twist
    Comes with box and all original accessories
    Never steel cased ammo, and no mag dumps, rifle is in excellent condition with very little use.
    I will only meet in day light hours in a public place, must be 18 with a valid IN DL, prefer a LTCH but not a deal breaker.
    If the ad is up, then yes I still have it, no need to email and ask.

And take some good pics.
    About pics on armslist, because I do occasionally see someone place an ad that says: Armslist won't post my pics.
    The trick here guys, is set your camera to the smallest setting, the one that says for email.
    Then you can upload 3 pics.

Last edited:

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Tried to sell a Diamondback .380 on armslist one time.. had to remove the add. Everyone who replied was not a person i felt willing to sell a gun too..

"ill take ur gun"
    "great! I can meet up with you tomorrow, you have an indiana state drivers license?"
    "NO but i was gunna buy ur gat wit no B*******"

no thank you

Yeah, it gives you a real warm and fuzzy feeling about it all, huh? I ended up feeling like I should carry two other guns beside the one I was selling if I'd actually gone to meet any of these people.

But, I guess others have had good luck with it.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I have done my share of armslist transactions and have only had 3 that were questionable.
    I had a Glock 31 chambered in .357sig, sold it to a guy for $500 (Factory Glock branded night sights), the very next day it was for sale at $700.
    I felt lucky to $500 for it at the time. Anyway within a week or so, I put some of my .357sig ammo up for sale.
    Met a guy (different guy), sold him the ammo for what I felt was a fair deal for both of us. The next day, not only was it up for sale or trade, he actually used my pics as well. That one really irked me.

I had those two experiences back to back, so I laid off of Armslist for awhile. The 3rd deal was the typical quit communicating as the time got close for the deal to go down, then after an hour passed our meet time, I got a text from him wanting me to drive the item to him and take even less for it after he already beat me down. This was a tactical pistol light, not worth the effort I had already put forth.
    I did reply with "No Thanks".

But I have had several good experiences. The key is to put a lot of info in the ad, without making it to lengthy and answer all possible questions to cut down on BS emails.

For instance if I were going to list an AR.
    My ad would look something like this:

Colt 6920, 16in. CL barrel, 1/7 twist
    Comes with box and all original accessories
    Never steel cased ammo, and no mag dumps, rifle is in excellent condition with very little use.
    I will only meet in day light hours in a public place, must be 18 with a valid IN DL, prefer a LTCH but not a deal breaker.
    If the ad is up, then yes I still have it, no need to email and ask.

And take some good pics.
    About pics on armslist, because I do occasionally see someone place an ad that says: Armslist won't post my pics.
    The trick here guys, is set your camera to the smallest setting, the one that says for email.
    Then you can upload 3 pics.

Sounds like good advice Gunner, thanks for the ad template.

By the way, I'll give you $75 for that AR if you'll drive a long way and deliver it to me, also, it's cool that my driver's license is issued from the Ukraine, right?

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I don't have any armslist stories, as I ahve never sold anything on there, and I have never successfully purchased anything either, but I just want you to know that I found this story very entertaining!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

By the way, I'll give you $75 for that AR if you'll drive a long way and deliver it to me, also, it's cool that my driver's license is issued from the Ukraine, right?

Somehow a double post occurred, I like my second version better, so I deleted this one.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

I did forget the:

NO TRADES. Because if you don't want to trade it, and you leave that off, your first email will look something like this:

"Hey, Nice AR, any interest in two Mosins and a kel-tec .380?"

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    depending on the AR that might not be a bad trade! Everyone always wants to hate on the keltecs...

I would never trade a Colt 6920 for those rifles, unless one of the Mosins was uber rare and I could quick flip it on Gunjoker.
    People hate Kel-tec's with good reason, every time I have handled one they just feel cheap.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think that experience is pretty typical I'm afraid.
    The first was almost certainly a Nigerian scammer. He was going to send you a cashiers check for too much and then ask you to cash it and give the overage to his agents. Of course the check is a good fake so it doesn't come back as fake for a couple weeks.

The rest are are just low ballers and flakes. I see them all the the time.
    A couple years ago I had a Garand I took to sell at the 1500. It was a decent rifle and I was asking $700. I couldn't tell you the number of bozo's who looked at it and had some negative nonsense to say. My favorite was the guy who asked if it was all matching. I told him if it was all matching it wouldn't be $700.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Or a riding mower and fishing poles

Yes that stuff too.

My two favorite trade offers of all time from Armslist were the following:

Tattoo work for a very nice 1911 I had listed.
    And the other was an airplane ride over the city (Indy), I can't remember what it was that I had listed, but it was far more valuable than airplane ride over Indy.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I guess I was a bit naive about it. I honestly just expected to put a gun on there for a fair price and just have it sell. I won't be doing that again.

Top Bottom