Model of 1917 Eddystone. Looking for an answer.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I am looking for some information on a rifle that I own. I have been unable to find anything concrete.

I own a Lee Enfield model of 1917 rifle, which was actually produced by Eddystone. It is chambered in 30-06.
    The gun has all chrome colored metal parts with Eddystone Arsenal markings, and the wood furniture is a darker finish than the issued military versions.
    It is in flawless condition, and is clearly a post war model.
    I received this rifle in 2011 when my grandfather passed away, and it was inherited to me. I have never attempted to shoot the rifle, but it has a firing pin and everything is in perfect working order.

What I know:
    The U.S. military used the Model of 1917 rifle during WWI instead of issuing all Springfield 1903's. (Alvin York used an M1917)
    There were a few companies that produced this rifle in the U.S. (Winchester, Eddystone and Remington) and these rifles were re-purposed from shooting the .303 British, to now using a .30-06 for U.S. military.
    There were around 2.1 million made.

What I don't know:
    This has to be a post war model, but what years could this have been produced?
    Is this a functioning shooting rifle? Or was this used primarily as a parade gun?
    Is this a gun that was only used for ceremonies?
    I don't know a lot of things about this.

I would like to know the guns purpose, and the years that this particular model was made. Maybe even the worth of the gun, although I do not intend to sell. I also have a bayonet for the rifle, that is dated to 1913, but it is clearly older than the rifle itself. Any information would be helpful! I can provide pics for anyone that is interested.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Post pics....It sounds like it may be a parade gun (or honor guard rifle, thank you wolfhound..) It's not a "Lee Enfield"....

Some US manufacturers made the British Enfield P14 (which is the exact same rifle as the US Model of 1917 but in .303..) When we were getting geared up for WW I Springfield was unable to keep up demand for the US Model of 1903 Springfield so they had the manufacturers of the British P 14 (Britain had went back to the Enfield MK I) manufacture what became known as the US Model of 1917 in 30 '06...

It was not a favorite of the troops and Alvin York in his diary complained of being issued one of the "Enfields" instead of the 1903 he had trained with...It was a cock on closing rifle and some guys did not care for that or the peep sight...

There were none made "post war"...After the War manufacture of the 1903 Springfield was ramped up and US Model of 1917's either went into storage or would sold as surplus, given to National Guard units, etc...

At the beginning of WW 2 many US model of 1917's were refurbished and issued to secondary line troops and folks serving guard duty stateside and overseas...

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Post pics....It sounds like it may be a parade gun (or honor guard rifle, thank you wolfhound..) It's not a "Lee Enfield"....

Some US manufacturers made the British Enfield P14 (which is the exact same rifle as the US Model of 1917 but in .303..) When we were getting geared up for WW I Springfield was unable to keep up demand for the US Model of 1903 Springfield so they had the manufacturers of the British P 14 (Britain had went back to the Enfield MK I) manufacture what became known as the US Model of 1917 in 30 '06...

It was not a favorite of the troops and Alvin York in his diary complained of being issued one of the "Enfields" instead of the 1903 he had trained with...It was a cock on closing rifle and some guys did not care for that or the peep sight...

There were none made "post war"...After the War manufacture of the 1903 Springfield was ramped up and US Model of 1917's either went into storage or would sold as surplus, given to National Guard units, etc...

At the beginning of WW 2 many US model of 1917's were refurbished and issued to secondary line troops and folks serving guard duty stateside and overseas...

I'll get pics posted

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    There should be a date on the barrel just in front of the front sight. The chrome plating may make it hard to see.

The markings on the stock indicate it went through an arsenal rework, post WWI. This presumably would have been a separate rework from when it was made a ceremonial rifle.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Probably a ceremonial rifle used by honor guards. Some are kept functional to fire blanks during the ceremony.

^^^^^ This^^^^^ Many of these old rifles were given to VFW's, American Legions etc... for ceremonies like parades, funerals. I remember as a younger man when I was in the Boy Scouts (late 60's, early 70's) our scout troop was sponsored by the American Legion in Logansport and in the main dining/ballroom where we met there was a wall with MANY of these and M-1 Garands in a rifle rack. If I only knew then what I know now about these old war horses. The legion used these like I said for parades and funerals. Later in life I believe I learned though that these old rifles were generally not just GIVEN for "keeps" to these organizations. From what I was told these rifles were actually registered to a particular Legion, VFW etc...and had to be returned to the US Government after so many years? Hope this helps?

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    There should be a date on the barrel just in front of the front sight. The chrome plating may make it hard to see.

The markings on the stock indicate it went through an arsenal rework, post WWI. This presumably would have been a separate rework from when it was made a ceremonial rifle.

Here are the numbers on the barrel. I was not sure if this was the date, or just some other number for any reason.

If you can't see it well, there is a 10 and then an 8.
    20171104_103001.jpg
    20171104_103007.jpg

I do appreciate all the information though. It's been helpful!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Here are the numbers on the barrel. I was not sure if this was the date, or just some other number for any reason.

If you can't see it well, there is a 10 and then an 8.

I do appreciate all the information though. It's been helpful!

I don't really know what to tell you about those markings. Normally, the date is there in the form of a number for the month, a dash, and then the last two digits of the year (either 17 or 18). Above that is the ordnance bomb and initials of the maker, which would be E, R, or W for the original manufacturers, or JA or HS if it has a replacement barrel.

I presume that yours is dated October, 1918 and for some reason the other markings are gone although it doesn't really look in the photo like they were ground off or anything. I don't really have an explanation for the oddity, but sometimes workers just had off days. I haven't ever read anything about the process of creating ceremonial rifles, so I have no idea if the unusual barrel markings are related to that or not. It seems to be pretty much an ignored part of arms history.

FWIW, the marking on your stock (3GM-K) is believed to be a WWII rebuild mark, although no one seems to be sure what it means exactly. This means that you have a rifle that was made for use in WWI, refurbished for use in WWII, and then re-purposed for ceremonies involving the veterans of those wars. Pretty cool rifle.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    One thing worth mentioning...if for some reason you feel possessed to have the rifle restored to its original finish, DO NOT remove the barrel, or if you must, have a very good gunsmith do the work. The Eddystones had a nasty habit of cracking the receivers when the barrels were removed for reasons that have disappeared into the fog of my memory.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Thank you all for the information. It's been really helpful! This has been a conundrum for me for several years. I have not fired the rifle at all, and I'm not sure if I ever will. I do not plan on refinished it in any way. I think the rifle is unique in its own right, and I've never seen another like it in person. Pictures here and there, but I don't know anyone who has one like this. I would be curious to know if anyone else on INGO has a ceremony rifle like this.

Top Bottom