• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm not real big on hanging stuff off of guns, but, of course I needed a sight for my Freedom Ordnance FX-9, so I hung a Tru Glo multi-dot sight on mine, that I had in the safe. I know I could add some flip up sights, too. The big question is where to mount the 3" picatinny rail and what will I use it for (maybe a sling swivel). Anybody have any suggestions?

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Be mike I have my fx 9 I only put on flip up sights and a venom red dot then put on a qd mount on the rail for my sling.
    have not figure what to do with my picatinny rail. As you I don’t not hang much on my rifles so I will hang out or will look into maybe a light for it

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    I'm not real big on hanging stuff off of guns, but, of course I needed a sight for my Freedom Ordnance FX-9, so I hung a Tru Glo multi-dot sight on mine, that I had in the safe. I know I could add some flip up sights, too. The big question is where to mount the 3" picatinny rail and what will I use it for (maybe a sling swivel). Anybody have any suggestions?

How do you like the FX-9? I've been thinking about picking one up but haven't talked to anyone who as one yet. I've found a few reviews online but that's about it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I thought about going with a red dot optic for my FX9, but decided to go with a sturdy pair of irons instead. Troy fixed rear sight with a Troy HK style front sight with a Blitzkrieg Components green luminescent front sight post. I used my small section of rail for a TLR-3 light and put a UTG QD mount on the other side of the rail for my sling. Works very well for a handy, rugged pistol caliber carbine and I don't have to worry about batteries or drifting zero on a red dot. I think that you usually get what you pay for with a red dot optic, and I wasn't willing to spend half again as much as the carbine to put a red dot on it. For the range that I would likely use it, irons are just fine. The Troy sights with the HK style front make a heck of a good sight picture, and they work well with the TLR-3 light.

q6ivatM.jpg

JoFDOsX.jpg

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    How do you like the FX-9? I've been thinking about picking one up but haven't talked to anyone who as one yet. I've found a few reviews online but that's about it.
    So far, I really like it. I've had no jams with my 115 gr. FMJ reloads. The gun is very well made. The trigger pull isn't great. It is about 7 1/2 lbs. and has a long creep. They don't recommend putting in different fire control groups, because they will likely cause unintended trigger bump. I do like the Rock River match trigger in my M4, so I'm a little spoiled. I don't have any other experience with AR 9mm carbines, but I think that this one is hard to beat for the money ($600). It's taking Glock magazines is a plus because they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I've only put a hundred or so rounds through mine so far. I dropped the partially loaded SGM magazine it came with the first time I tried it. It fell from the table and spontaneously disassembled. I reassembled it and loaded it up. I haven't dropped it again (yet) and the gun functions fine with it. I ended up getting some more Korean mags and a couple of Glock mags (32 round). The Korean mags (32 round) function well with the gun. The FX-9 really throws the empties out there. I'm going to take my little brass catcher next time out, because I reload 9mm. The gun is accurate at 25 yds. When the weather cooperates, I'm going outdoors to see what it does at 50 and maybe 75 yds. I like the controls (similar to AR-15), but it is IMHO a right handed rifle.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You could put a light on your rail, m-lock is much lighter, and lower profile for your QD sling point.
    I wasn't familiar with the M-Lok system or KeyMod system, but I'm learning. I went to my local gun shop today to look at some M-Lok accessories, but they didn't have any. I then went over to Bass Pro and they don't carry any either. I was thinking of putting a M-Lok quick sling swivel base on the FX-9 and get a couple of QD sling swivels (one for the hole in the stock and the other for the base). I was thinking of attaching a 2 point sling. I have a single-point sling for my M-4, but have never been happy with how it carries. I hope I'm on the right track regarding these M-Lok accessories.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I thought about going with a red dot optic for my FX9, but decided to go with a sturdy pair of irons instead. Troy fixed rear sight with a Troy HK style front sight with a Blitzkrieg Components green luminescent front sight post. I used my small section of rail for a TLR-3 light and put a UTG QD mount on the other side of the rail for my sling. Works very well for a handy, rugged pistol caliber carbine and I don't have to worry about batteries or drifting zero on a red dot. I think that you usually get what you pay for with a red dot optic, and I wasn't willing to spend half again as much as the carbine to put a red dot on it. For the range that I would likely use it, irons are just fine. The Troy sights with the HK style front make a heck of a good sight picture, and they work well with the TLR-3 light.

q6ivatM.jpg

JoFDOsX.jpg
    That looks like a great choice for someone with good vision (younger eyes). I put the Tru Glo multi dot on mine, because I happened to have a new one in my safe and my old peepers need all the help they can get. I may put a cheap set of flip up sights on mine later. What do you like about having the light mounted on the side, rather than underneath?

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Hey be mike. Look up on amazon for qd sling mounts. They have a utg pro m- lok standard QD sling swivel adapter it’s like 12 bucks, they have others on there to

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That looks like a great choice for someone with good vision (younger eyes). I put the Tru Glo multi dot on mine, because I happened to have a new one in my safe and my old peepers need all the help they can get. I may put a cheap set of flip up sights on mine later. What do you like about having the light mounted on the side, rather than underneath?

I find it easier to hit the TLR-3 switch with my finger with the light mounted that way, rather than along the bottom. No other real advantage, really, it just feels more natural to me. I had a light mounted on my patrol carbine in the same position many moons ago and just got used to it.

I'm clear on the red dot for fuzzy vision. I've just had bad luck with a couple of different $200+ red dots and am kind of sour on them. I do like my Aimpoint ACO on my Adams Arms AR, but that one wasn't exactly cheap, for me anyway. This 9mm carbine is mostly a fun gun that can be used for defense in an emergency, so I went with irons. Plus that front HK style sight is just too cool.

:)

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Here is the qd mount that I went with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...F8&qid=1509891521&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65
    Ive never heard of the brand, but for $10 it is amazing, aluminum, made in the USA, and it has the anti rotation feature, so your sling doesn’t get all twisted up.

If if you want to buy local, most gun stores have a magpul accessory section, you’ll find magpul’s qd mount there, since m lock is their standard, although it will cost twice as much as the utg, or stngr.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks to all for the info! I've been checking out the different M-Lok QD sling mounts on Amazon. I tried loosening one of the allen screws on the forend. Magilla Gorilla (showing my age) must have installed them! I couldn't get any to budge. Now I'm wondering how I'll install a M-Lok QD sling mount.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    You don't have to take the forend off for M-Lock.

Watch this video, it is so simple.

[video=youtube;YVbNcTmA5LQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbNcTmA5LQ[/video]

JBP239

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    Danville
    So far, I really like it. I've had no jams with my 115 gr. FMJ reloads. The gun is very well made. The trigger pull isn't great. It is about 7 1/2 lbs. and has a long creep. They don't recommend putting in different fire control groups, because they will likely cause unintended trigger bump. I do like the Rock River match trigger in my M4, so I'm a little spoiled. I don't have any other experience with AR 9mm carbines, but I think that this one is hard to beat for the money ($600). It's taking Glock magazines is a plus because they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I've only put a hundred or so rounds through mine so far. I dropped the partially loaded SGM magazine it came with the first time I tried it. It fell from the table and spontaneously disassembled. I reassembled it and loaded it up. I haven't dropped it again (yet) and the gun functions fine with it. I ended up getting some more Korean mags and a couple of Glock mags (32 round). The Korean mags (32 round) function well with the gun. The FX-9 really throws the empties out there. I'm going to take my little brass catcher next time out, because I reload 9mm. The gun is accurate at 25 yds. When the weather cooperates, I'm going outdoors to see what it does at 50 and maybe 75 yds. I like the controls (similar to AR-15), but it is IMHO a right handed rifle.

Thanks for the info! I think I will give one of these a try. I've been looking for a 9mm carbine for awhile trying to decide which one to get. I really like the Sig MPX but can't justify that much money for something to plink with so this may be a good compromise.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the info! I think I will give one of these a try. I've been looking for a 9mm carbine for awhile trying to decide which one to get. I really like the Sig MPX but can't justify that much money for something to plink with so this may be a good compromise.
    Oh yeah, it's made in Indiana!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thought I'd revive this old thread, since getting to shoot my FX-9 outdoors. At 50 yds. from a rest, the gun shot 5 shots into a 2 1/2" group. With my Silencerco Osprey 9, it shot a 2" group of 5 shots. The suppressed group was actually a lot more of an even spread and round group. I shot some Winchester white box and a plinking handload, but the best groups were with a match load of 115 gr. Hornady FMJ bullet, over a charge of 6.2 grains of Power Pistol with a Remington 5 1/2 primer (a magnum primer). Considering that the trigger on the carbine is far from match quality (an understatement) I was happy with the accuracy from a 9mm carbine. BTW, I was shooting with my TruGlo Multireticle/ TruBrite optic and was using the small green dot.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Oh yeah, it's made in Indiana!
    chandler Indiana, ive met one of the owners (mike) and he's a nice guy,

Thought I'd revive this old thread, since getting to shoot my FX-9 outdoors. At 50 yds. from a rest, the gun shot 5 shots into a 2 1/2" group. With my Silencerco Osprey 9, it shot a 2" group of 5 shots. The suppressed group was actually a lot more of an even spread and round group. I shot some Winchester white box and a plinking handload, but the best groups were with a match load of 115 gr. Hornady FMJ bullet, over a charge of 6.2 grains of Power Pistol with a Remington 5 1/2 primer (a magnum primer). Considering that the trigger on the carbine is far from match quality (an understatement) I was happy with the accuracy from a 9mm carbine. BTW, I was shooting with my TruGlo Multireticle/ TruBrite optic and was using the small green dot.

a good friend has a fx9 pistol with a burris fastfire red dot, and at 100 yards I was hitting steel plate about 3 out of 5 shots, standing, leaning against a pole for support, so that little pistol will shoot!

another friend has the freedom ordnance belt fed upper for a 9mm, he was having a few problems with it, they had him bring it to them, and the fixed it while he waited, and another friend had a 1919 browning he was having problems with, and since they're a sot, they fixed it too! (they have converted a semi auto fn249 to full auto)

so good products, great service, and an Indiana company!

Top Bottom