• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I broke yet another one of those crappy little cleaning rods last evening while cleaning one of my enfields. So I've decided to be done with the cheapo ones (I know you get what you pay for) and get one or two nice ones and be done with it. I have guns chambered in .17 up to 12ga so I figured I will need to get two different rods. Most of the guns I shoot regularly are military so I will probably need a 32"-36" rod. I would much rather it be too long than too short. So what's everyone else using?

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been using a 1 piece stainless cleaning rod from J. Dewey for about 20 years for my rifles and for the shotguns I use a 1 piece muzzleloader rod.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I don't have anything in .17 but for .22 and up have been using Dewey coated rods. Now if you get into black powder my range rod is a stout 3/8 diameter.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Tipton carbon fiber rods are the VERY best, IMHO.

Available in .17-.204 and .22 cal and up. They have 36" and 44".... and all are, of course, one-piece rods. You can't go wrong, spending the few extra $$ when it comes to caring for your rifle's bore.

They are even available at MidwayUSA and Cabelas.....

Tipton Carbon Fiber Rods : Cabela's

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Another happy Tipton customer here. I have had one for five years now. It has served me well. I have a one piece cleaning rod for my 22's also.
    I would also get some bore snakes to.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I'll pile on. Back when I was shooting bolt action rifle, the Dewey was my go to cleaning rod. I hear the Tipton's are good too. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've been using Bore Tech Bore Stix coated rods for many years and they have held up excellently.

The only "problem" I've had was caused by a Wheeler bore guide that had a burr in it and stripped some of the coating off of a new rod. Even though it wasn't their fault, Bore Tech had me cut the rod off to save shipping costs, send the handle to them and they replaced the rod and covered the return shipping.

That kind of customer service earns my business for life...even though I may never need to replace another rod.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While longer is better than too short, I bought one really long one, and I had to go buy a shorter one cause it was just too long for all but one gun.

You'll probably need 2 rods. 22 and below. and one for above.
    One piece is what you want.

And, as mentioned above, bore snakes are great. I till loosen up with a rod and brush, and the clean out with the snake.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Tula47, check in with me on PM before you go ordering.

I have TWO small Dewey SS rods I don't need, completely new with their packets still attached. I'd just need to measure them and get you that info.

-Nate

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy
    No argument with any of the brand names mentioned. Rural King carries Pro Shot, just as good as any of the others.

Top Bottom