• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well I went to Point Blank in Merillville today and it finally happened to me. I had a magazine failure while shooting.

I was Zeroing my new Sparc II on my Camp 45 and after firing 8 rounds from one of my expensive KimPro magazine I ejected the mag and it didn't drop free. So I attempted to pull it out, but I couldn't. On the floor lay the bottom plate of the mag. It had slipped off the front of the mag. The spring didn't fall out because it has an inner plate.

I have had trouble with the KimPro Mags from the start. Every other mag that I own wil lock back the slide on my 1911 and Camprifle "EVERY" time, but the KimPros would often fail to. I had to dis assemble them and reform the followers so they would contactthe slide/bolt lock.

An extra magazine is not just for extra ammo but also a spare part in case the first one breaks.

MORAL IMHO do not buy KimPro magazines.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Every magazine I own for my Glocks and my HK are are 'original equipment '. And while I own one non Beretta magazine i only carried Beretta mags.
    I see no point in getting cheap magazines.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kimber, KimPros are billed as the best.

Not by me or anyone I know/shoot with.
    Wilson 48-D's are my go to and I own right at 46 of them.
    C McCormicks for 10 round and I own near as many of those. Once in a great while I have an issue with the 1st round stripping off into battery on the 10 rd. but they are now marked and only a couple of them. These will be repaired.

I hate to load mags at the range.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    You don’t need to carry extra mags crew in 3...2...1
    Every gun needs at a minimum two magazines.

46 seems excessive :): I use mag loading to keep me from burning up all my ammo, I'd be screwed with 46.

with 1911 magazines, I hate the little plastic locking pieces that some of them have, that's why I prefer the colt style ones with the welded body. Less parts to have problems with

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    C McCormicks for 10 round and I own near as many of those. Once in a great while I have an issue with the 1st round stripping off into battery on the 10 rd. but they are now marked and only a couple of them. These will be repaired.

Yeah, I have never heard anyone tout the Kimber's as the best mag either.

I use the same exact mags you do, even on 10 rounders...

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Back in my 1911 days it was C McCormick for me. Never ever had any issues with the 8 and 10 round mags. Kept a bag of them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All of my ten round mags are CMC.

I will be switching to all CMC as money is available. I will hate to throw away all of my kimber but I can not in good conscience give them away. I will also smash them with a hammer.

Has anyone seen the new Railed Power Mag™ RPM™ Chip McCormick mags? They are more expensive but look to me like the biggest leap in 1911 technology I've seen.

Chip McCormick Power Mags?

http://cmcmags.homestead.com/HANS-170028-MAG.pdf

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Every gun needs at a minimum two magazines.

46 seems excessive :): I use mag loading to keep me from burning up all my ammo, I'd be screwed with 46.

with 1911 magazines, I hate the little plastic locking pieces that some of them have, that's why I prefer the colt style ones with the welded body. Less parts to have problems with

Lots of mags is better than just a few. Just buy them when you see good prices on them. In my case, it's Glock OEM mags, so I just wait a purchase a few here and there when prices shipped to the door are less than $20 per mag. Though now I'm exploring the M&P Compact 2.0 and waiting for the compact sized 15 round mags to start flowing from S&W (Yes, I know I can go with the 17 round M&P mags and will be purchasing a few of those as well). For those of us shooting high cap mags, buying consistently at low prices also serves to protect from potential political changes as well.

Plus mags are consumables. They can get stepped on at the range or in a class, etc. But them cheap and often, and OEM if you can get them (or PMags for rifles).

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County

I'm nowhere near that number of spare mags, but I'm making progress weekly. The panic we just had really drove home the fact that I need to focus on accumulating ammo, mags and parts. Every paycheck, I try and add to my stash just a little.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Lots of mags is better than just a few. Just buy them when you see good prices on them. In my case, it's Glock OEM mags, so I just wait a purchase a few here and there when prices shipped to the door are less than $20 per mag. Though now I'm exploring the M&P Compact 2.0 and waiting for the compact sized 15 round mags to start flowing from S&W (Yes, I know I can go with the 17 round M&P mags and will be purchasing a few of those as well). For those of us shooting high cap mags, buying consistently at low prices also serves to protect from potential political changes as well.

Plus mags are consumables. They can get stepped on at the range or in a class, etc. But them cheap and often, and OEM if you can get them (or PMags for rifles).
    Trust me I have AK mags I haven't seen in months, spares are welcome In my stash I only have a half dozen 1911 mags tho. Thought about making one of those 25 round dillinger magazines out of a few. Haven't had the chance, yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm nowhere near that number of spare mags, but I'm making progress weekly. The panic we just had really drove home the fact that I need to focus on accumulating ammo, mags and parts. Every paycheck, I try and add to my stash just a little.

That is how I did it. Over time. I would catch a sale on 3 or 6 mag bundles and snatch them up.
    When we go to the range my boys come along with me when they can. They have young familys so their ammo reserves stay as reserves and "Dad" supplys the ammo. It is worth it to spend a good day with them and keep them on point with the 1911's I also built for them. Hence the large number of mags. We can burn through some ammo.
    Tough to be one of my kids.

I am the same way with AR mags.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    That is how I did it. Over time. I would catch a sale on 3 or 6 mag bundles and snatch them up.
    When we go to the range my boys come along with me when they can. They have young familys so their ammo reserves stay as reserves and "Dad" supplys the ammo. It is worth it to spend a good day with them and keep them on point with the 1911's I also built for them. Hence the large number of mags. We can burn through some ammo.
    Tough to be one of my kids.

I am the same way with AR mags.
    I keep a combat load in my AR mags (7), but for my 3rd Gen S&W's I'll buy mags up as long as they are below 25 shipped. The prices have slowly gone up as more 3rd Gens get taken out of circulation.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not to thread-jack, but how are the Tripp Research mags? I'm particularly looking to get a few more 9-rd, and a couple of 10-rd in 10mm.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My magazine goal was originally 4 for each pistol, then 6, and now it is just buying them when they are less than $20 shipped, as others have said. Don't forget the revolvers, either. I have 4 speedloaders each for the double action revolvers and speed strips too. I have also at least 9 mags for each AR. My wife is always griping about why I have to keep buying ammo and mags.
    I started buying up stuff a few months before Sandy Hook happened, and have not quit since. I weathered out the ammo shortage after Sandy Hook and still managed to shoot GSSF regularly and a few other matches here and there. I still buy ammo and mags regularly and feel good about my inventory other than my revolver calibers, mainly .357 Mag.

Top Bottom