• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    Can someone point me in the right direction.
    I'm looking for the Indiana laws surrounding transportation of a long gun
    -- i.e shotgun/ rifle --loaded unloaded / cased not cased or locked .. Everything I seem to find is related to Handgun and licensing.

Thanks

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Generally, for educational purposes only, not as legal advice, Indiana doesn't restrict the transport or carry of long guns (rifles/shotguns) other than some hunting regulations, and assuming the person doing the transporting/carrying is a proper person to possess a firearm.

For personal liability purposes, unloaded and cased is probably best practice.

If I may ask, what made you interested in this issue?

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    I'm just considering a A-r in my jeep.. Not a big fan of leaving a firearm in a locked vehicle without a vault or locking mechanism..I would be devastated to have a firearm stolen.
    but the world is changing and I'm weighing my options and want to make sure I'm proper and laws will effect my decision.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, truck guns (or trunk guns, as the case may be) are a thing.

There are some REALLY nice examples of vehicle gun vaults that are nearly invisible from the outside.

Having a firearm stolen if left in a vehicle is always a risk, unfortunately.

The good news is that Indiana doesn't really regulate that. Couple nuances, though:
    - a pistol gripped shotgun without a stock is actually a handgun in Indiana, and an SBR might be (there's no clear direction on that).
    - if you cross state lines with a long arm, or someone has your vehicle and crosses state lines without even realizing there's a firearm in the vehicle, things could get tricky.

To the extent there's a consensus about truck/trunk guns, the thought is to dedicate an inexpensive, but reliable, firearm for the role.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Why do you feel you need to carry an AR? I mean, hell I live in the 'hood' and find a pistol will suffice.

Why not carry a pistol?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I thought about a long gun and went with a Winchester .30-30 for a while (re-worked $75 pawn shop gun).

But then I thought, if I go get the rifle, then I have to un-a** the vehicle. Why on earth would I do that as I do not have a salad suit or badge? I should just drive the heck away.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes its a hard Top lockable Jeep.. I do carry a pistol and most days 2 but I'm just contemplating something with a little more power..

20161219_125830.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Whatever you do, don't connect the red contacts to the black ones while in storage. The latent electrical capacitance can blow the whole thing sky high in an uncontrolled zero-point energy convergence incident.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Whatever you do, don't connect the red contacts to the black ones while in storage. The latent electrical capacitance can blow the whole thing sky high in an uncontrolled zero-point energy convergence incident.

Yeah, either that or you'll go back in time...

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not creative enough. As I said I live near the hood. I have to drive down 38th Street everyday. Some nights I can hear the gun shots and the sirens etc etc. I have a hard time imagining a world where I would feel the need in indiana to drive around two pistols AND a rifle to feel safe. And as stated above. If you have to get out to get the rifle, why not just drive away. I drive a jeep too. I know if **** goes sideways I can tank off through someone's yard or a field (if in the country) or over medians /people / fences to get away.

Why would I put my soft fleshy bits outside a metal box if shots were being fired? Life isn't like the movies you're not going to get into a fire fight in the Dunkin donuts parking lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I'm sorry. Maybe I'm not creative enough. As I said I live near the hood. I have to drive down 38th Street everyday. Some nights I can hear the gun shots and the sirens etc etc. I have a hard time imagining a world where I would feel the need in indiana to drive around two pistols AND a rifle to feel safe. And as stated above. If you have to get out to get the rifle, why not just drive away. I drive a jeep too. I know if **** goes sideways I can tank off through someone's yard or a field (if in the country) or over medians /people / fences to get away.

Why would I put my soft fleshy bits outside a metal box if shots were being fired? Life isn't like the movies you're not going to get into a fire fight in the Dunkin donuts parking lot.

Man charged in fatal shooting outside Dunkin' Donuts - Chicago Tribune

Top Bottom