• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Anyone point me to a thread or person I could talk with about liability. Been having more people come out and shoot with me on my folks property. Just want something in place to protect us on the legal side of things. Any help is appreciated!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just call your insurance agent. In the end it will be the insurance company that decides whether or not an "event" is covered by them or rather your personal assets are grabbed.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Shouldn't his folks kinda be involved in this too? It's their property after all, and if they are allowing you to shoot on the property, liability is probably going to fall on them too.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Hire an attorney. Get real legal advice from a paid attorney. Don't take chances!

^^^This

Shouldn't his folks kinda be involved in this too? It's their property after all, and if they are allowing you to shoot on the property, liability is probably going to fall on them too.

^^^ This too

Just call your insurance agent. In the end it will be the insurance company that decides whether or not an "event" is covered by them or rather your personal assets are grabbed.
    Waivers and insurance are related in that they are both good to have in the event of a problem. One does not eliminate the need for the other. Insurance agents aren't lawyers...though some think they are.

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Waivers and insurance are related in that they are both good to have in the event of a problem. One does not eliminate the need for the other. Insurance against aren't lawyers...though some think they are.

I agree that agents aren't lawyers, but many do know what their companies will and will not cover, and they always have a direct line to higher channels within the company have more experience in specific questions.

That said, waivers don't mean :poop: if the round goes off the reservation and hits an unintended target. Then the gun owner, the property owner, the shooter, etc all could be called into question. You know this better than I. That's why I suggested starting with the property owners insurance. IF they say flat out "not covered" the waiver may not even be an option until a rider is purchased and/or another policy is sought.

It is better to know that your policy covers something than to hope it does.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

EDIT: IF I wasn't clear on meaning the property owners insurance, mea culpa. That was my intended meaning.

Top Bottom