• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I'm not talking about Col Cooper and safety rules here. What are the rules that you try to live by, when it comes to your guns, and they're readiness? For me it's as follows. What are yours?

Number 1. Don't leave the house without a gun.
    I cant always carry one, but I never leave the house without one.

Number 1.5 guns are never left in the truck if it can be avoided.

Number 2. If I'm leaving for the night, I'm bringing a rifle.

Number 3. All mags are always loaded, always.

Number 4. Any serviceable guns are, cleaned, lubed, and ready to go.

Number 5. Minimum of four mags for any defensive gun.

Recent events and several threads have made me evaluate my priorities. What are the readiness priorities of INGO?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1) Nothing with a visible keyhole.

2) No platform hopping. As much as possible, stick with the same platform. For me, striker fired is Glock (except the Shield, because Glock doesn't make a gun that size) and hammer fired is Sig. Semi-auto rifle is AR, shotgun is 870.

3) Duplicate. Keeps in line with #2. Also helps with logistics. I already have the holsters and magazines, a second or third P226 does me more good than buying a Beretta or CZ.

4) Always armed when not in water and legally allowed. I'm not to the point of putting my LCR in a zip lock bag while in the shower, but I do have it in my pajama pocket.

5) Train outside the department at least once every 18 months. Practice live fire at least 3 times a month, dry fire 5 times a week.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    my most important rule (after all the safety rules)

if you take time to shoot it, make time to clean it!

about a month ago, I tried shooting my first steel challenge (because of rain, it went from a formal 5 stage match to an informal 4 stage match, i only shot 2 stages, of 5 stings each (50 rounds total) with me asking lots of questions, getting lots of info, and a few pointers from more experienced shooters) and I'm still not sure what gun I wanted to shoot when I start competing, so I took my p320 and my 226 legion (I shot one on one stage, and one on the other) I spent about an hour shooting.

BUT it was raining, and since my primary carry guns have been either the 320 or my legion, I spent over 2 hours cleaning, greasing, oiling ad making sure that when they went back in the safe, they were spotless, clean, and ready to carry or use!

now the only guns I don't clean every time, are my bowling pin guns, they have optics, and get shot once a week, 3 times a month, from the beginning of april to the end of October, and I don't want to change point of impact for the red dot sights, but since I take a vacation every june, I do a full strip and clean,(and at the end of the season) and I have time to make sure they haven't lost zero before the next match.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Never go anywhere outside the house unarmed.
    Always have a gun close by when indoors.
    Primary defense guns are always hot.
    When traveling overnight, take a long gun.
    No weapons left in cars overnight.
    2 reloads for each gun, no less.
    Hit the range at least once a week, more if possible.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Mags always full and color spot coded (for family member use).
    Stick to current calibers only. Simplifies supply and reloading, but I miss out on fun stuff like .44 mag and 30-06.
    Always have at least 1 extra mag.
    Rifle for surface travel, with at least 4 mags.
    No safeties on pistols (except .22).
    "Sell" and "gun" don't go together.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Enjoy shooting.

Don't bluff.

Where you know you are going into a bad situation, bring a machine gun with as high a rate of fire as possible.;)

Last edited:

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Make sure to own whatever style of firearm the Left doesn't want me to own. (Any more it seems they don't want me to own ANY firearm)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Must be fun and accurate.....

Fun ..... pre war mod 94 Winchester

Accurate ...... anschutz

Reliable ..... RRA NM AR15.....competiion gun,self defense rifle,runs lik,e a Swiss watch

And hand gun.....only own one,learn to shoot it, you will never fumble with in a panic

Aaron

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    [h=1]“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”[/h]
    I know it isn’t gun rules, but I just had to post something from the Duke.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

I know it isn’t gun rules, but I just had to post something from the Duke.

A man who thinks like myself ! Good post, Expat. Anything the Duke says is gold.
    Here's a photo I took of one of my favorite knives.

i-LhN6qbV-XL.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    And on the topic that my amigo, KJQ initiated .... wow, there's been so many good ideas posted. It's hard to think of anything that hasn't been said.
    I've been carrying a handgun since my late 20's, when I was discharged from the Air Force. Since I'm 65 now, that's been a few years !
    Like the old credit card advertisement always said: never leave home without it. :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If my pants are on, my gun is on (and knife, and flashlight, for that matter).

Keep it simple and reliable (no manual safety, for example).

It isn't supposed to be comfortable. It is supposed to be comforting.

Folks don't have to like that I'm carrying, and I don't have to care.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    When I carry a primary CCW, I also carry a backup CCW. Extra reload each one. Despite the understood law of open carry, concealed means that. Long gun access is a Mossberg 500, 12ga. Mixed load of 00, #4, slugs, provide protection. Riot length barrel, sling, side saddle, all practical. 25rd bandoleer/shoulder slung is support. No NRA stickers on my car. No show and tell to anyone not required. Camo hats are cool, no gun ads though. NFL, Baseball, Hunting, no marking, all approved. Even trips to get milk/bread go armed.

Top Bottom