• ...and so much more!
  • Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    My wife decided she liked my XDS. We went to the LGS to buy one for her. She did the 4473 and was approved. I opened my billfold to pay for her pistol and the clerk refused, said that was a straw purchase.

This is the second time this has happened in the last few years.

That is not what I thought was a straw purchase...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dumbass clerk. Did they know you were married?

Although, why didn't you fill out the 4473 if you were planning on opening your wallet?

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    It's splitting hairs, but technically the person purchasing was not the person paying so I can see why they would err on the side of caution. Store policy, BATFE instructions, insurance company, unsure employee. I can see it happening as described.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is a misunderstanding and misapplication of the rules, but it "looks" like a strawman purchase.

Person A filling out the form. Person B paying for it.

Person A, of course, says the firearm is for them. If it isn't, it is a strawman. If it is, no problem.

That's asking a lot of the clerk to divine who will actually be the owner of the firearm.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, in defense of the clerk, how's he suppose to know you have joint finances? He's probably some peon who's been given a rule and told that secret shoppers will check to see if he violates the rule.

It still violates commonsense.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    OK, in defense of the clerk, how's he suppose to know you have joint finances? He's probably some peon who's been given a rule and told that secret shoppers will check to see if he violates the rule.

It still violates commonsense.

Thank you Jetta...

When in doubt...I don't....I have turned down sales based on a "bad vibe"......

"WTF do you mean you won't sell me the gun because of a "bad vibe"?"

"Bad vibe"...It's 70's talk for GTF out of my shop? Do you understand now?"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I mean just look at Indiucky, he's some peon that Salma hired off the street in order to run her shop. He's simply a yes man that has to follow her rules and he's not allowed to make decisions.

I never really considered the bad vibe aspect, Joniki seems good enough. Of course, not that you're implying anything about him, Indiucky, or anything.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thank you Jetta...

When in doubt...I don't....I have turned down sales based on a "bad vibe"......

"WTF do you mean you won't sell me the gun because of a "bad vibe"?"

"Bad vibe"...It's 70's talk for GTF out of my shop? Do you understand now?"

I'm just glad that thinking a 1903 had two safeties didn't give you a bad vibe. ;)

JDG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    LaPorte County
    If you put yourself in the clerks shoes for a second, it does make more sense. He(she, I cant assume gender) has a ton on the line in the event it was indeed a straw purchase or even resembled one. Its like when I hit the gas station for a pack of smokes and some other stuff, my early teen daughters like to pay. If im buying cigarettes, the clerk cant take the money from my girls. clear as mud?

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    So am I legally in the wrong if I purchase a .22 rifle for my grandkids to have? There fathers already own firearms and are proper persons.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I'm surprised I didn't get flagged for buying a youth sized 410, At six foot tall and 220lbs what do I need a youth shotgun for.

I don't believe the law should apply for spouses and kids, family house, all money comes from the same source.

Top Bottom