• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ruger LC9 that I'm considering selling. I didn't like the factory trigger pull so bought a kit to shorten it to have a more natural feeling break point. I think it fires much better with the mod, but I've found other pistols that I like better. Question: what does that trigger mod do to the market value of the gun? Would that increase or decrease the selling price?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I would say it should increase the value. I'm not sure what you paid for the trigger, it has been my experience that mods and doo dads only return about 50% of what you spent on them.

If I were selling it, I would take a pic of the pistol, the box and factory goodies and of course include the original trigger.
    I have to agree, it will not increase the value by much, as those are inexpensive pistols to begin with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mods are not something you look to gain much in re-sale value. Sometimes it makes people skittish. But as has been mentioned that is not an expensive piece to start with.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The trigger mod does not increase resale value on the open market.
    Some believe doing a trigger mod increase liability if used for self defense or if some AD or ND happens.
    If you can swap it original back in and then sell gun with the mod you might make a bit back. Sounds weird but most people like factory original guns in the used market.

Second would be to trade it in at a shop on the new gun you want. Normally 60-70 precent of blue book.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some believe doing a trigger mod increase liability if used for self defense or if some AD or ND happens.
    If you can swap it original back in and then sell gun with the mod you might make a bit back. Sounds weird but most people like factory original guns in the used market.

Second would be to trade it in at a shop on the new gun you want. Normally 60-70 precent of blue book.

Plus you save the sales tax on the trade in portion. Trade in's are usually a losing proposition, but some shops are good. Plainfield Shooting Supply has done me well on trades in the past, especially when you consider the sales tax savings. I've done just as well as I would have done on the classifieds a few times with them. Other shops seem happy to gouge on trades.

As far as the OP's question, depending on what it is exactly, I also lean toward the no real resale added value. If the kit is well known, etc it may sway some to purchase the pistol, but for me it wouldn't and it would not add $$ to the price. If you had a trigger job done at a well known smith and proof of the work, that could add some value but generally folks interested in this type/grade of weapon, aren't in that market.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I rarely would pay extra for a modification such as you describe... but if I were in the market for it, I would maybe buy yours instead one from some other source.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info everyone. It's alleviated my concern that the market value would be less. @jmarriott didn't think about the liability angle. Probably nothing to worry about, but makes me lean a bit towards the trade-in route.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Thanks for the info everyone. It's alleviated my concern that the market value would be less. @jmarriott didn't think about the liability angle. Probably nothing to worry about, but makes me lean a bit towards the trade-in route.

If you kept the original packaging to the trigger, and you're going to trade the pistol to a shop, I would re-install the factory trigger and try to sell the aftermarket one separate.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

This is correct, I want my used gun to not be messed with, as I do not know someone's Else's ability to work on it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I don’t know the person, I have no interest in buying modified guns. When I see them for sale, the first thing through my mind is the guy bubbaed it up and now it doesn’t run right so he is selling it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If I don’t know the person, I have no interest in buying modified guns. When I see them for sale, the first thing through my mind is the guy bubbaed it up and now it doesn’t run right so he is selling it.

That is my first thought as well. And the fact that he doesn't want to loose any money for his little experiment, or pay to get it repaired correctly, so he tries to pawn it off on the secondary market.

I won't touch one, about the only thing I'm okay with are easy mods on an AR that I can remove, like a forward grip.
    I recently had to deal with a Bubba'd FNS Compact I bought off of Armslist back in August. Met the guy, seemed like someone that wouldn't pull a stunt like this.
    Mentioned more than once that he had put talon grips on it.
    At the range, I decided the Talon grips weren't for me, so I peeled them off, and what I found was a small nail that had the head cut off and was being used as a roll pin for the back strap. The back strap itself looked like it had been dragged behind a car.

Called FN, they do not sell parts to us "commoners", the customer service rep recommended a web site to buy a new back strap and roll pin.
    Went to the web site ordered the new back strap and another pinky extension mag floor plate. They did not have the roll pin. Called FN again, finally talked to someone that put one in the mail for me, since they do not have a system in place to sell their parts.

So my "good deal" was no longer a good deal, once you figure in the cost of the replacement parts + shipping and taking time to call FN twice and go to a website, get set up as a customer to buy from them.

I would have never thought that those thin little Talon grips could hide the sins of a previous owner.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The above mentioned Pistol I bought looked to be in perfect shape. No real wear on the barrel, no holster wear, all the factory goodies.
    Looked like a like new pistol that someone tried some Talons on. So the lesson is, even the simplest mods can hide sins of the past.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Some of us are honest to a fault about what we have done to a gun we are selling. I will never let one go that is hurt or dangerous. I have cut one up in the band saw because it was dangerous and beyond reliable repair. I realize the majority of people are not like thinking. Sad as that statement is.

I do not own a gun that has not been modified at some level. They are all so much fun to run and I enjoy sharing them with friends. Smiles are automatic.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I know on some of the FB gun sales groups, it was fashionable for a few of them to "polish the internals". From what I could see in the pics, they were actually stripping all nitron, bluing, etc. on every internal part. I assume with a dremel or something. No thanks.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Personally I would not knowing purchase a "modified" firearm. Like custom motorcycles, cars and other items, the mods are usually something that detracts from the selling price. In most cases modifying a firearm will limit the buyer market and lower the price, regardless of the cost of the mods. Nothing wrong with modifying a gun, just realize it is "personalized" for your preferences ~ not the buying public! I would never spend a cent expecting to get a return on my money, actually I would expect to take a loss of both the "modifications" and a reduced price less than the original used firearm market price.

I don't like "light" triggers, as my finger can't feel the trigger properly so I just about get sighted in to make my final "squeeze" and the firearm fires. I worked a second job for much of my younger days cutting tin and my hands just don't work with a touchy trigger. As far back as I can remember I was always far more accurate with a hard pulling trigger. I guess is all depends on your abilities and preferences but I used to be quite accurate on the range. Not as much any more at 76, mostly due to my eyesight. IMHO, your would be better off reinstalling the original parts and selling the "mods" on their own.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some of us are honest to a fault about what we have done to a gun we are selling. I will never let one go that is hurt or dangerous. I have cut one up in the band saw because it was dangerous and beyond reliable repair. I realize the majority of people are not like thinking. Sad as that statement is.

I do not own a gun that has not been modified at some level. They are all so much fun to run and I enjoy sharing them with friends. Smiles are automatic.

It helps that you know what you are doing, you do it very well and you have a reputation for producing quality pieces. Not everyone modifying firearms has those things going for them.

Top Bottom