Thinking about TX shooting, shotgun possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I wonder how effective a shotgun would have been on the shooter in TX.
    Stephen said he was about 20 yds away -- I think a few rounds of 00 buck would have certainly messed him up (legs, arms, lower torso, maybe head/neck), but would have lost the pinpoint accuracy.

I'd wager that the shooter wouldn't have made it into his vehicle to drive off... but may have hit Stephen (Good Samaritan) after being hit with buckshot.
    Any thoughts from you guys/gals -- 20 yds out, buckshot while wearing a vest???

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I wonder how effective a shotgun would have been on the shooter in TX.
    Stephen said he was about 20 yds away -- I think a few rounds of 00 buck would have certainly messed him up (legs, arms, lower torso, maybe head/neck), but would have lost the pinpoint accuracy.

I'd wager that the shooter wouldn't have made it into his vehicle to drive off... but may have hit Stephen (Good Samaritan) after being hit with buckshot.
    Any thoughts from you guys/gals -- 20 yds out, buckshot while wearing a vest???

I was wondering about the last part recently, was it ever confirmed that he really had a "vest" i.e plates or did people just run with that because he had a 'tactical' vest on and they don't know any better. You can buy vests or plate carriers at gun shops or surplus stores all day long but often times the actual plates can be pricey and this guy was an unemployed loser at the time.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I was wondering about the last part recently, was it ever confirmed that he really had a "vest" i.e plates or did people just run with that because he had a 'tactical' vest on and they don't know any better. You can buy vests or plate carriers at gun shops or surplus stores all day long but often times the actual plates can be pricey and this guy was an unemployed loser at the time.
    I would venture to guess he did not have plates, so same as another big sweatshirt. This is an assumption. But if he did have plates, a shotgun at 20 yard could have done some work, but if most hit plates and no pellets went vitals above the vest, could have been a different outcome.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    If it was a shotgun slug that surely would be a painful hit, plates or not.
    Several tests are readily found on YouTube with 12 gauge shootin 2.75" full load 1 oz slugs at 3A body armor. You most assuredly would not want to be on the receiving end. Depending on slug design and hardness, it may penetrate. #00 buckshot did not penetrate the body armor would cause traumatic internal injury, similar to being hit by a bat or club. A sabot slug could potentially cause even more damage with slightly higher likelihood of penetration.

Here's Paul Harrell's showing both #00 buckshot and slugs . . .

[video=youtube;4qSVOZfp3R4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSVOZfp3R4[/video]

The total impact of #4 buckshot would be similar to #00 at 20 yards without much spread. For home defense #4 buckshot pretty much ends it with the first solid hit. If an assailant is wearing 3A, #4 buck outside vest coverage in lower body would end it as well with severe incapacitation.

John

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Another one with Paul Harrell and two different types of body armor . . . one doesn't stop the slug, and while the other one does stop the slug, the blunt force trauma from it is devastating. He uses some handguns at the beginning and than cranks up the shotgun about halfway through.

[video=youtube;QjgGlolY-8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjgGlolY-8s[/video]

One might argue his simulation of pectoral muscle, ribs and lungs isn't a close enough approximation of the human body, but to do a definitive test you would need cadavers, or something like a dead animal sufficiently close to human anatomy to approximate it. Suffice it that I wouldn't want to be hit by a full load 12 gauge slug with anything less than plates. The problem with a slug where there are bystanders is over penetration and hitting someone behind the intended target if they're not wearing any armor.

John

Last edited:
    Top Bottom