Coyotes are back. Am I using the best round?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last night the Coyotes were back. Been almost 2 years since I had to kill one and they left. Using an older Bushmaster AR with the 1:9 h-bar barrel chambered in 5.56. I've been using some 50gr AE .223 tipped varmint. range is about 25-40 yards, reddot is sighted to 40 just for this purpose. Is this the right ammo or should I be using the 55gr 5.56 or?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That round is fine. Kill them

Couldn't get a clear shot last night, ****er was peaking at me between two mulberry trees. Moving would have put the neighbors house (3/4 mile) in line so he got a free pass last night. Well, a shot into the tree about a foot from his eyes. To be honest I hate killing things, but won't let my fur babies become food.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Couldn't get a clear shot last night, ****er was peaking at me between two mulberry trees. Moving would have put the neighbors house (3/4 mile) in line so he got a free pass last night. Well, a shot into the tree about a foot from his eyes. To be honest I hate killing things, but won't let my fur babies become food.
    Have you got a shotgun? My first thought was #4 buckshot. . . versus a rifle. Some use #00 buckshot loads with the higher pellet count.

Just a thought as you were concerned about the neighbor's house.

John

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Have you got a shotgun? My first thought was #4 buckshot. . . versus a rifle. Some use #00 buckshot loads with the higher pellet count.

Just a thought as you were concerned about the neighbor's house.

John

Exactly...if your range is only 40 to 50 yards max, then a shotgun with a full choke will get it done every time. Basically you want your shotgun to pattern like you are using it for turkey hunting. Over the years I have called in coyotes while turkey hunting, from my experience, #5 shot or larger works wonders on coyotes. Note: Picture below is from 30 yards. The center black area is only 2.5" in diameter. The gun is effective out to 55 to 60 yards for hunting. 12ga. using #5 shot.

HFpgFvO.jpg

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Man i hope my wife never sees this .... the shotgun I have was formerly a 28” modified choke mossberg 500. Its now a 19” barrel. The AR has a light on the barrel which makes it much easier to spot, highlight and shot the damn things. I’m just not that handy at holding flashlights and firearms at the same time if I want to hit what I’m aiming at.

as for the neighbors I have two to worry about so I make sure I don’t shoot in their direction. Something about knowing where your bullets go or something. Stupid adulting trying to be responsible. The downward angle and the rolling fields make it highly unlikely I’d ever get a bullet near them but I don’t take that chance. If that means I wait until I have a better shot then so be it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Agree with Jal and Bradsknives ~ a shotgun is the way to go at 50 yards or less, perfectly safe if your neighbor is 1/4 mile away and way more effective than a rifle at the <50 yd range. Personally I would use a 3" magnum with #4 shot, should be a easy kill at that range. As you wouldn't have to figure out if the shot is dangerous at any direction may also give you more shots!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Just checked the site this miorning. Right at 52 yards and a 3000fps 50gr is no match for a mulberry trunk. Impact site no exit.

Top Bottom