• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I'm seeing a lot of call for "common sense gun laws". What exactly does that mean? I have my ideas on what it means, but I'd like to hear other opinions. Most of the shootings that have and will happen the current laws didn't stop. Mostly cause criminals don't follow the law.

Jason

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A stalking horse to shoot at your rights.

victorian-engraving-of-a-man-hunting-wild-duck-with-the-use-of-a-stalking-D1B2KK.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Gun bans and eventually confiscation.

It's just a rhetorical tactic. How can you be against common sense? Do you like dead kids? Hey everyone, this gun nut likes dead kids!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's the first step to confiscation. To make "universal background checks" work, they need a list of all the guns and who has them. Without the list, UBC can't work. Once they have a complete list, then they will start banning certain firearms because of whatever reason they say. Eventually they will say nobody needs them and they will confiscate all of them.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Common sense gun laws involve those with the least amount of common sense when it comes to why and how these crimes happen and try to create laws that will only disarm the law abiding and do next to nothing to stop the next tragedy from happening.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here are a couple I'm in favor of:
    - Not allowing violent felons to have guns.
    - Not allowing violent crazy people to have guns.

I can probably come up with more, and probably not as confiscatory as what the Founding Fathers accepted.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    At the end of the day, i have to agree with the above. Whenever I discuss this with someone that's not a gun person, they can't even name 2 current laws/processes regarding purchasing guns.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Repealing hughes would be common sense.

the left should love the idea, lessens the demand for "rate increasing devices" big brother keeps tabs on people who would own a machine gun, and no private sales.

I hate it, cuz I'd have to buy tax stamps

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I would like to find some middle ground as a small way to acquiesce the non-initiated...BUT if you give an inch, they take a mile and you essentially NEVER get rights back that you've given away.
    So, i take the more idealogical stance and say no new legislation on firearms.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    any law the anti's want is "common sense"
    any law we oppose make us "the minority gun owners" because they(the anti's) say the majority of gun owners support "common sense" gun laws!

I tell people this, the government learned a lesson with prohibition, they went after all alcohol (everything), if they tried it again they know it wont work!, but they wont go after it all, they'd start with 1,

they'd say we wont take away ALL alcohol, we only want vodka, vodka is the worst, why cant you see vodka is the cause of most of the alcohol related problems in America.....then after all the vodka is gone, they'll go after gin! because all the bad in America will be caused by gin,(cause you cant buy vodka) and gin is just as bad as vodka!, and gin is now the cause of all of Americas problems! and then scotch, the whiskey, then wine, and lastly beer, because beer will fill the void caused by the lack of all other alcohol!

just like guns! cause nobody need an assault rifle!......then semi auto rifles, semi auto handguns, the semi auto tube fed rim fires then revolvers......cause a crazy person intent on killing people will take a marlin model 60 (or 2) and a revolver (or 3) and kill as many people as he or she can! because as I say "nature abhors a vacuum, nature finds a way no matter what"

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I despise the phrase "common sense", with the latest progressive phrase of "toxic masculinity" being a close second. IMHO, these are phrases meant to control what could otherwise be spirited, fruitful discussions because it disables honest rhetoric. What do I mean? Well, someone tells me "It's just common sense to do universal background checks..." If I disagree, I must not have any common sense. Nothing about it promotes open dialog.

Besides, there is really no such thing as "common sense". It implies that it's something everyone is born with. We know this to not be the case.

If there is one thing progressives are clever at, it's word warfare.

JDG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2017
    LaPorte County
    How can someone ask for more laws and regulations when they don't follow the ones they currently have? There are enough laws and regulations of firearms already on the book to significantly reduce so called "gun violence".( I hate that term, btw.) We just need to enforce the rule of law as it exists.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    There is no "common sense laws" that would have any effect on gun violence as the persons performing these acts do not care about or obey "the Law".

As is the case with most laws they only force law abiding persons to conform with what the politicians want and most of the time are used to collect money from law abiding citizens. Seat belt laws, speeding tickets, etc are examples.

A seat belt does nothing to protect the public, most don't know but the reason these were passed was due to the DOT telling the automakers they would be compiled to install automatic restraints and or air bags unless a certain number of states passed compulsory seat belt laws. The automakers then threatened the states that had manufacturing facilities for automotive components or auto's that they would move to other states if the state didn't pass a seat belt law. As it started in Indiana it was only supposed to be used after a stop for another infraction. Now the law is used whenever it is seen. Probably draws in a good sum for the state.

Speeders still speed but now they risk paying a fine, however I have rarely seen traffic going the speed limit on I 65. Again it makes the state a lot of money.

If firearm laws are past the only effect would be to confiscate our firearms or gain revenue from firearms owners, and make many lawbreakers. If a law passes that is onerous enough it might possibly start a shooting revolution. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Most Politicians obviously do not care about the citizens, only about getting re-elected and obtaining favors and campaign contributions from lobbyists. Although I rarely drink anymore, the Sunday alcohol laws are about as ridiculous as any law. They make big noises about stopping DUI's, yet people that want a drink on Sunday can buy one only if they drive to a restaurant and drink there ~ then drive home! Makes real sense doesn't it. Now they are talking about allowing Sunday sales ONLY because the two biggest Lobbyist's are reaching an agreement about wanting to sell on Sunday. Seems like the lobbyists are making the laws.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The phrase "common sense" in our political atmosphere today says absolutely nothing about what is being proposed and much about the person putting forth the claim.

To describe an idea as common sense, when such an idea hasn't been implemented in the past 200+ years, says only that the person with that idea is unable to see any other's perspective. The person is able to see any shortcomings with such an idea. The person is unable to even examine unintended consequences.

Either that, or the person is using it as a marketing term, knowing full well that it's a lie.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The liberals consider it common sense that only police and military have weapons. That is their end goal. Occasionally one slips and admits it publicly

IMO if you vote for a Dem, you are voting for someone who supports disarming you. Yes, there are rare exceptions.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    any law the anti's want is "common sense"
    any law we oppose make us "the minority gun owners" because they(the anti's) say the majority of gun owners support "common sense" gun laws!

I tell people this, the government learned a lesson with prohibition, they went after all alcohol (everything), if they tried it again they know it wont work!, but they wont go after it all, they'd start with 1,

they'd say we wont take away ALL alcohol, we only want vodka, vodka is the worst, why cant you see vodka is the cause of most of the alcohol related problems in America.....then after all the vodka is gone, they'll go after gin! because all the bad in America will be caused by gin,(cause you cant buy vodka) and gin is just as bad as vodka!, and gin is now the cause of all of Americas problems! and then scotch, the whiskey, then wine, and lastly beer, because beer will fill the void caused by the lack of all other alcohol!

just like guns! cause nobody need an assault rifle!......then semi auto rifles, semi auto handguns, the semi auto tube fed rim fires then revolvers......cause a crazy person intent on killing people will take a marlin model 60 (or 2) and a revolver (or 3) and kill as many people as he or she can! because as I say "nature abhors a vacuum, nature finds a way no matter what"

:yesway:

Top Bottom