• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was thinking tonight how I've ended up with a few of the guns I have. I realized that one them had kinda an trail to it. Let me explain.

I bought a Taurus .357 at a gun show for about $140. This was in the early 2000's. I traded it even up for a SKS. That was traded after a few years for a Taurus .22lr revolver. I traded that one for yet another Taurus .357 wheel gun. That one was sold and completely funded my AR build (minus the lower and a Pmag). So my original $140 turned into my AR-15. Throw in a $10 Pmag and a $40 lower and my AR was $190. I didn't think I did too bad.

Can you remember a trail of trades/deals that you've sone over the years?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I did that the whole trade up and trade over and over with motorcycles and parts......I think I have about $300 in my KZ 900 ZR1 ......
    I gave up on wheelin and dealin too much time and stress on my end, I was all ays chasing that next deal........

Happy trading

Aaron

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't really have any stories like yours, but it sounds like you would be right at home on "Barter Kings"! :)

Barter Kings Full Episodes, Video & More | A&E

The whole premise of their show is "trading up" to get whatever they are truly after. Some of the paths they take to get to their goal are pretty convoluted, but they always seem to get there.

With the exception of selling the last Taurus .357, I had no intentions of trading the firearm when I did. The first trade for the SKS was to my B-I-L. The rest just seemed to "happen" while browsing the classifieds.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I sometimes look at trades in the classifieds and ask myself "Should I trade this gun I seldom touch for a different gun I'll seldom touch?" Like "should you trade the rifle you bought to deer hunt and haven't been in 5 years for a 4th copy of a pistol you already own?" or "should you trade the varmint rifle you've had for years and never even zero'd for a single action revolver you'll never shoot?"

I think the longest "trail" I've had was when I got out of AK to go all-AR, I traded an AK and ammo for a P227, which I then traded for another P220 because 2 more rounds wasn't worth stocking a new (and more expensive) kind of magazine.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Bought an M&P 9l on here for a song, cleaned up the stippling got it cerakoted and traded it for a sig scorpion 1911, traded the scorpion with a tlr, for an STI Lawman 9mm 1911, consigned the lawman and ended up selling it for 1100. I think I had 400 in the original pistol plus 100 or so in the light on the sig.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Unless a guy just needs the cash then trades are usually beneficial for both parties.
    I love trading guns for what I want. I'll spend the money when "needed" but trading is fun and it's also a way for both parties to acquire new untested waters without mortgaging the wife and kids or left nut.
    My first LE6920 started out as an Onkyo 5ch receiver and a Savage 110 in .243.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I horse trade constantly like that.

My latest trail I can remember was a free SKS my cousin gave me. I cleaned the cosmoline off it shot the heck out of it. Traded it for new in box Kahr CW 45. Shot the heck out of that. Traded even for a 10.5" 44 mag Super Blackhawk. Shot the heck out of that then traded plus sixty bucks for a Gen 4 Glock 21. Supposedly it was used but I can't tell. Still had factory lube on slide. Glock ain't leaving unless it's for another Glock in better condition.

I just picked up a small outboard for 45 bucks. Cleaned it up and traded it for a used bolt action Marlin 22 plus cash. Got an offer for the marlin. May sell and take the cash for a new Savage.

It's a lot of fun and gives me something to do.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I went home for lunch one day several years ago, unusual for me, but there I was.
    Some nice lady side-swiped my car while I was home at lunch that day. I didn't see it, but I heard it, and looked out the window to see the two cars married together.

Insurance company totaled the car, but sold it back to me for $50.
    I paid my current bills with the insurance check, and had enough to left over to fund the purchase of a brand new Taurus Raging Bull in .454Casull. It has an 8-3/8" ported barrel and a full under lug and wears a beautiful brushed stainless finish.
    It's a handful, but has taken a handful of deer too.

So, I traded car equity for a new hand-held howitzer.
    BTW- I drove that car for another 5 years.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I went home for lunch one day several years ago, unusual for me, but there I was.
    Some nice lady side-swiped my car while I was home at lunch that day. I didn't see it, but I heard it, and looked out the window to see the two cars married together.

Insurance company totaled the car, but sold it back to me for $50.
    I paid my current bills with the insurance check, and had enough to left over to fund the purchase of a brand new Taurus Raging Bull in .454Casull. It has an 8-3/8" ported barrel and a full under lug and wears a beautiful brushed stainless finish.
    It's a handful, but has taken a handful of deer too.

So, I traded car equity for a new hand-held howitzer.
    BTW- I drove that car for another 5 years.

A bit off-topic but my Grandma bought a 1983 AMC Concord in the early 90's. She was side swiped and the car was totalled. She bought it back and drive it for a few years. She gave it to my cousin. He was side swiped. Same thing. Totalled and kept driving it. I ended up with it. I was rear ended once and the car was oversprayed while a neighbor painted their fence with a power sprayer (along with 9 other cars). Totalled both times.

When it finally died, we had collected over $2,000 on a $400 car. Not a bad deal.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I once traded a Chinese SKS rifle for a WWII Kriegsmarine Cap, that was traded for a WWII German Heer Officer's Dagger, that was traded for a WWII Luftwaffe Officer's Hat. I went from a $300 rifle to a $700 hat, and it was all done within an hour at an OVMS militaria show while walking the aisles. I still have the hat.

Top Bottom