• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Background; grew up with guns, I'm in my early 20s, and I'm used to shooting outside on private property.

I'm more or less bound to the Indy area during the week as I really wanted to get a few shots off before firearm deer season. (I think I'll be using my S&W 586). Researched ranges and didn't want to drive to New Castle for Wilbur Wright DNR range, so I looked at Tim's, Point Blank, and Indy Arms. Point Blank Carmel was my choice because I felt like I could find the most detailed info about it online. It was a little intimidating to be honest, and it definitely felt sacrilegious to be paying for a place to shoot a gun. I waltzed in by myself and had my equipment properly secured and had everything I needed. Watched the safety video and then got to the door and forgot everything the video said. So I just put on my glasses and ears, I guess that was right. It was very strange getting myself set up for the first time. Like doing anything for the first time where you hope your newness doesn't cause some major embarrassment. Anyways I got the target up and sent it out (kinda cool like the movies), and I then I loaded six and got the gun up and I was like, "oh wow this is like the third time that I've ever shot simultaneously with other guns popping rounds off". I'm used to being outside where there's complete silence until my trigger breaks, and now it's like I'm in a battle. So the concentration was definitely a challenge with other guns shooting. Just felt really strange to be shooting inside a building. I was pleased with myself, and it certainly felt good to go shoot while in the city. I could watch other people for a long time. I've never gone shooting and had people who weren't friends or family around so it was interesting. Someone next to me had a laser and right before every shot the laser dipped down quickly, I assume they were yanking the trigger.

So anyone else have any good indoor range stories? Like what you thought the first time or craziest things you've seen at the "public" range.

And RSOs? What kinds of stories do you guys have.

tl;dr indoor range was fun, would go back, but would rather go shoot cans in the woods.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know what you mean about shooting at an indoor range for the first time. Besides the noise (and smoke - my first indoor range was Pop Guns on the east side of Indy), I had this nagging feeling that I was doing something "naughty" firing a gun inside. Kind of the same way I felt the first time my dad took me squirrel hunting as a kid. As I was about to pull the trigger on my first squirrel, the thought crossed my mind, "Am I gonna get in trouble for this??" :):

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Midwest Gun Range used to give range passes with a firearm purchase, regifted all I ever received. Figured if the percussion felt and noise heard out in the store was fractional compared to that inside on the range lanes, I want no part of it.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The wife and I were shooting her Coonan for the first time last weekend over at Indy Arms. People notice .357s from a handgun. Anyways, we’ve made friends with most of the staff there and we were checking out they shared with that right about the time we lit off the first round from it a woman, who had never shot a gun before, was walking into the range and she turned and walked right back out. She did go out onto the range a few minutes after that, but there a moment of “ NOPE!” for her. Turned out she didn’t realize how loud some guns are. We talked to her about after she was done and she was very nice but just was not expecting what she heard.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    So anyone else have any good indoor range stories?

Have you been muzzle swept?

I don't shoot indoors because all the bullcrap going on there.

You are paying for every minute while you are there.

RSO always sweep MY brass down range under the shooting bench.

No steel target.

You can't draw.

And "Let me see your NFA stamp" guy.

There's nowhere to sit down.

Nope, when I go shoot at conservation club, it cost me $65 for a whole year unlimited access. I spent about 3 hours of time there, mostly by myself, relaxed and having a good ol time.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Other than a .22lr rifle in my early teens (50 years ago), I have not shot outside. I have not shot for about 50 years. Picked up a pistol this May for the first time and shot at an inside range only. Shot outside a month ago and was worried about the noise bothering others, ricochets, and what is down range. Was on a friend's property, nearest neighbor over a mile away, and he had a berm backstop over twice as high as the targets we were shooting at. But still, I was outside, did not feel in control. Nice to go shooting without weather issues.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Consider yourself fortunate OP. Many of us don't get to shoot outside on a regular basis.

There are many, many drawbacks to indoor ranges, but they often are the most convenient option.

Sadly I probably visit the indoor range 4 or 5 times for every chance I get to shoot outside.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Scariest thing about the indoor ranges in my area are the people who have to rent guns to shoot. I get if you want to try out one, and I've done it before. But if you have to ask the RSO how the gun works, you shouldn't be allowed to shoot.
    Noise and smoke is also horrible. Too many people shooting too big of a gun for inside ranges. If I do go typically it's to sight in a .22 for squirrels.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s interesting the different experiences we all have at indoor ranges. Majority of our time is spent at Indy Arms and the usual “issue” is people using large calibers, something we don’t help with. But we haven’t had the smoke issues.

Thinking back there here has been a couple of times where the people next to us that made us nervous. Haven’t been swept on the range, but there have been a few that blatantly didn’t know what they were doing.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Indoor ranges, and many outdoor ranges are great places to go if you like being muzzle-swept. Like gun shows, you're in close proximity to lots of people handling guns. Owning a gun, visiting a gun show, going to a range, or being a member of a gun owners forum for that matter does not make one a safe person to be around.

Brass: We've had good luck with the RSOs at the Greenwood Point Blank allowing, even occasionally helping, us pick up our brass. The wife had a little issue with one who tried to sweep her brass down range after she told him she wanted to keep it. She made it very clear to him to leave her brass alone and it was a one-time thing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to go a few times a year during the winter. Not for me and wont be going ever again. Just look next time you go at all the bullet strikes on the ceiling and side walls of the shooting lanes. People are crazy! They like to talk and see what all you are shooting and be nosy about all your gear. Then there is the lack of muzzle awareness. Besides having to pay to shoot.

I only shoot alone now outdoors. Its the only safe way to do things and keep it on the down low. The less people know about you and your guns the better.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Scariest thing about the indoor ranges in my area are the people who have to rent guns to shoot. I get if you want to try out one, and I've done it before. But if you have to ask the RSO how the gun works, you shouldn't be allowed to shoot.
    Noise and smoke is also horrible. Too many people shooting too big of a gun for inside ranges. If I do go typically it's to sight in a .22 for squirrels.
    I run an indoor range, and a pretty good part of my day is being an RSO. We love it when people who are new to shooting come in and ask for assistance! Why would someone wanting to learn be a problem? I’ve had new shooters from all walks of life rent guns, and ask for assistance in the safe handling of the weapon, and would much rather deal with those people than the ones who come in like they know it all and then proceed to be completely incompetent on the firing line.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    As far as picking up your brass, that’s good to go at my range, as long as we’re not crazy busy, then there’s no guarantee, as it piles up quickly, and can be a safety hazard. If someone were to get nasty with our RSOs when the range is busy, they would be asked to leave immediately. No range anywhere is going to allow someone to create an unsafe environment because they want to keep their brass. We will do our best to help you out, just don’t expect to retrieve every piece of brass you fire if there’s other people shooting nearby.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I run an indoor range, and a pretty good part of my day is being an RSO. We love it when people who are new to shooting come in and ask for assistance! Why would someone wanting to learn be a problem? I’ve had new shooters from all walks of life rent guns, and ask for assistance in the safe handling of the weapon, and would much rather deal with those people than the ones who come in like they know it all and then proceed to be completely incompetent on the firing line.

I really need to get down and see you guys.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have a lot of experience shooting with others and shooting at indoor and outdoor ranges. American Shooters in Clarksville is new, but they have a great staff and try to accommodate everyone. They are doing things right! I reload and save my brass and the RSO there go out of their way to help in my endeavors to keep my brass. The RSO's know who to carefully monitor and are always "Johnny on the spot". It really is nice having a range to use and I love the ability to custom program a course of fire or use some of the standard courses already programmed. Their one fee for all day is great for non-members. I'm a member and go at least once a week. Admittedly, I'm retired and get to go during slow times, but even when there are several other shooters, I always feel welcome, comfortable and have an enjoyable time. I always get to accomplish any project I may have, like sighting in a new gun or preparing for a special shoot. As a matter of fact, I have my bags packed and am headed there now!

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    I've never been to an indoor range either. However, after reading this, I may need to visit just to experience it.

We have a few family farms that I'm in close proximity to and don't need to pay to shoot. Heck, I even have a free range ticket card from when I bought my G19. It's still in the case the gun came in.

I do go to the gun club to do trap and skeet. Mainly because I can just go up there and shoot a few clays for cheap and I don't have to deal with the setup or clean up of the equipment.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm thinking that shooting at an indoor range, with all the distractions, actually might be better training for self-defense than shooting all alone in a pasture. I know the convenience for me makes me a better shot because I go shooting much more often than I used to.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My biggest issue with our indoor range is going through so much ammo! I just ordered a Ruger MK IV so I can shoot.22 instead of 45 acp. I’ll still run my 1911 every few days, but dang, my ammo stockpile has dwindled.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Rarely shoot indoors. It happens in the winter when the weather permits non outdoor shooting. Much prefer outdoor benches and open areas with longer ranges.

I am that guy who fires off big stuff with ported barrels at times. Even outdoors I like to pop off a few 444 marlin rounds from a ported barrel marlin outfitter. It has been known to blow targets and brass off the tables to the right and left. Shoot it a couple times right off after arriving the range. Watch people move a couple lanes over. Then switch to a target 22. Have been known to shoot mag revolvers indoors also. So to many others maybe good I don’t go indoor ranges much.

Top Bottom