• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    New in to deer hunting. The guy who taught me hunting would take a doe if it was late in the season. I've talked to other hunters who never shoot does. I do have the antlerless license, and passed up a mature doe I've seen in prior years with fawns this morning. I know she's had at least two sets of fawns, and have my blind set up right in a bedding area she frequents.
    What is the consensus about killing a doe?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Doe hunting for me is meat hunting which means muzzle loader season normally because it's colder.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have always reserved opening weekend for bucks because that seems to be when I’m most likely to see a one. The rest of the season I’ll take a buck and/or a doe.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've been hunting Indiana whitetail for more than 35 years. I have hunted every year during firearms season.
    Some years I've been out every day during the season.
    I do not have ideal property to hunt. I am at the mercy of kind souls who allow me the use of their property.

On occasion I've taken as many s 5 deer in one year.
    Over my entire hunting experience in Indiana I've shot 5 bucks.
    That's all I've seen on the property I hunt in 35+ years!

I hunt deer. Antlers are secondary.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    This is my first year deer hunting in over 20 some years. I got a bonus antlerless tag. I'll let the serious hunters go for the antlers.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I hunt my own land so I take what gender is in excess. By looking at my trail cameras weekly throughout the year I can learn what sex is a little more plentiful. Example 2 years ago only had one buck and lots of does through the course of the year. So that year, I hunted does only so that the buck could populate the herd for following seasons. This year I have lots of average sized bucks and very few does. That's why we passed on a doe this morning. Right now I am hunting bucks. If you are hunting public land then shoot what comes your way regardless of sex especially if you are hunting for meat. You can't eat antlers as they say. If you are hunting your own property then be more selective for the long term good of the herd.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I put a doe down this morning. I’m a meat hunter and have never killed 2 deer in 1 season...yet. If I can get a shot on a mature buck I’ll take it, but I’ll let the little guys walk since I’ve already got meat in the freezer.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I put a doe down this morning. I’m a meat hunter and have never killed 2 deer in 1 season...yet. If I can get a shot on a mature buck I’ll take it, but I’ll let the little guys walk since I’ve already got meat in the freezer.

don’t hunt as much as I used to. Was about ever day all gun season long. Plus others. Mainly gun season as it was perfect with the extra days off. Now lucky to get out a few days in season. Once you have meat then I don’t have to worry about horn size just go for the big one. The buck of a lifetime ie bigger bucks. Like to let all the basket racks pass. They are trophies to others.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Does are for food I prefer between 80-100 pounds. I won’t shoot if her fawns still have spots if not she is fair game.
    I only shoot a buck is it’s Huuugh !
    Nice buck Cowboy!

Top Bottom