• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Friend of mine shared his recent ND. Fortunately he had pistol pointed in a safe direction and ended up only with a bullet in the woodwork in corner of basement. Racked slide, dropped the mag, bang. Knows he knows better and won't do that again. Not chastising my friend, just a reminder to all of us.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    How exactly did racking the slide and dropping the magazine cause the gun to fire? Those two actions should not cause a discharge unless the gun is defective.

Finger on the trigger, perhaps?

Glad it was pointed in a safe direction, though. At least he was obeying one of rules.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How exactly did racking the slide and dropping the magazine cause the gun to fire? Those two actions should not cause a discharge unless the gun is defective.

Glad it was pointed in a safe direction, though. At least he was obeying one of rules.

My thoughts as well.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Sounds to me like he was clearing it, and reversed a couple of steps.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, sounds like dropping the mag, THEN racking the slide (to clear the gun) would have been the proper order of things. Instead, he racked the slide (chambered a round) then dropped the mag (with round now in the chamber). My guess is that he managed to pull the trigger (obviously no mag safety on the pistol) after that, causing the ND.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You have to drop the mag first then rack the slide to clear the chamber. From the OP it sounds like he had a loaded mag in the gun. By his steps it sounds like he did not lock the side back but racked it. He loaded a round into the chamber at the same time ejecting the round out and then pulled the mag out.

I have seen this happen one to many time with new and experience shooters. Always drop the mag first and then rack the slide a few times and visually check the chamber before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You have to drop the mag first then rack the slide to clear the chamber. From the OP it sounds like he had a loaded mag in the gun. By his steps it sounds like he did not lock the side back but racked it. He loaded a round into the chamber at the same time ejecting the round out and then pulled the mag out.

I have seen this happen one to many time with new and experience shooters. Always drop the mag first and then rack the slide a few times and visually check the chamber before pulling the trigger.

Seen experienced shooters do as you describe.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sounds to me like he was clearing it, and reversed a couple of steps.

This.

Racking before dropping the mag seems to be a common element is the AD/ND "cleaning" scenario. Of course he pulled the trigger. There's a brand of gun that actually requires you to do so to strip it. I know, stupid, but true.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    This.

Racking before dropping the mag seems to be a common element is the AD/ND "cleaning" scenario. Of course he pulled the trigger. There's a brand of gun that actually requires you to do so to strip it. I know, stupid, but true.
    Many striker fired pistols require the trigger to be pulled to strip the gun. Ruger lc9s requires it as well. And of course it has a magazine safety so you have to have a magazine in the gun as well.

in the IN hunters safety course (online version) the steps for unloading a gun go;
    *point muzzle in safe direction
    *put the safety on if not already on
    * keep finger outside of trigger guard
    * open the action
    *remove ammunition by first detaching the magazine. Eject cartidges or shells if its the only way to remove them.
    *make sure the gun is empty by checking the chamber and the magazine.

in my opinion they have it wrong, to me it should be remove the magazine, then open the action and check the chamber

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    Valid comments from all. Yes, he pulled the trigger to facilitate tear down for cleaning. Hope sharing this ND will prevent similar from other members.

Top Bottom