• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's nigh time for me to invest in a GOOD quality gun safe.

I'm looking at several models by Liberty, Champion, Smith Safe in Ohio, and Johnson Safe. Specifically looking at the JS-540 model from Johnson...

So - what do you have so I can look Google it?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I was ready to go with a Johnson but then Gander Mountain had a going out of business sale & blew out their Liberty Fatboy 64. The thing is awesome! I love the door panel with 10 pistol pockets, mag holders, fire bags, etc...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First, watch this for a little education on what an actual safe/vault is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&index=6&list=WL

Secondly, I debated for a long time about this very topic myself and ultimately ended saving up for a Fort Knox Defender. It's expensive and there's no way to get around it. I can't tell you how many times I nearly purchased a Liberty Fatboy or Fatboy Jr, but memories of that video I put a link to kept nagging at me in my head. Add up the total value of all your guns, all your paperwork, and all your whatever kinda stuff you'd put in that safe and then ask yourself how much it's worth to know it's solidly protected.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    the safe company in Noblesville had some Browning safes that i was VERY impressed by. Price was a little tall, but looked sturdier than the liberty. Serious locking bolts.

Which safe company?

First, watch this for a little education on what an actual safe/vault is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&index=6&list=WL

Secondly, I debated for a long time about this very topic myself and ultimately ended saving up for a Fort Knox Defender. It's expensive and there's no way to get around it. I can't tell you how many times I nearly purchased a Liberty Fatboy or Fatboy Jr, but memories of that video I put a link to kept nagging at me in my head. Add up the total value of all your guns, all your paperwork, and all your whatever kinda stuff you'd put in that safe and then ask yourself how much it's worth to know it's solidly protected.

yep. HUGE difference between an RSC and a "safe". Wish there was a Ft. Knox dealer in central Indiana.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Id go with Johnson. I have some family members that have the biggest two door one he makes they are huge.

I have two 24 gun ones and will be ordering a big 2 door model in the near future because im out of room.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    TF,
    Not sure what the name is, but they are located on HWY 37 north of town just before going down the hill into the little burg called Claire. They are on the east side of 37. I had planned on stopping in there myself.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've been looking into this for awhile, and I am sticking with relatively inexpensive RSCs tucked away out of sight until I can afford a real safe. Then the choice will be either https://www.sturdysafe.com/ or buying a used TL-15 or TL-30.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion

Sure, but unless you're an owner of very high end, un-replaceable guns, insurance for guns is way cheaper than what a legitimate safe costs. I've personally got a Safari by Cannon. Its nothing more than a fancy RSC, but I couldn't justify spending thousands more.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have a Winchester safe from Tractor Supply. Seems to be as secure as the higher priced safe options, though I've not done the research. It certainly was heavy enough, about 400 pounds.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Was going with Ft. Knox until I saw a Superior. Little more bang for your buck.

Wish I would have went with two smaller plain units instead of one big one.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have a Winchester safe from Tractor Supply. Seems to be as secure as the higher priced safe options, though I've not done the research. It certainly was heavy enough, about 400 pounds.

This is what I have as well. Not as fancy as some of the more expensive ones but more than adequate for your average smash and grab burglar.

Top Bottom