Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    This was posted on Facebook today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    DATE: November 21, 2017
    PHONE: (812) 650-8447

Spencer Shooting Range Resuming Operations
    After Thorough Safety Review

SPENCER -- Today, Precision Gun Range, LLC of Spencer issued a public statement that it will be resuming operations of its rifle range within the coming days. After certain property owners more than a half mile to the south of the range made allegations that projectiles found on their properties came from the range, Precision voluntarily suspended use of the rifle range earlier this year. While there was no proof that Precision’s rifle range was the source of projectiles in an area known for many types of shooting on private property, Precision retained a leading, national range safety expert to review the range’s design and safety and operational protocols. The expert made several recommendations for further safety enhancements, in light of the pending litigation against the range, all of which the range has now implemented. The expert’s report concludes that with the safety enhancements in place the range both meets industry standards and a very high level of safety with respect to persons and property off-range. As a courtesy, Precision has shared the safety report with the Owen County Zoning Board and the local sheriff and state police, and it has met with the sheriff to go over the report. Precision Gun Range will be reopening the rifle range on December 1, 2017.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Complaining property owners are "more than a half mile" from the range. I'm wondering how much more but I would certainly not be comfortable at a half mile down range based on what I've seen at some ranges open to the public. We were just at Crosley last week. There are bullet holes in the safety warning signs at the firing line. Haven't been to Atterbury for some time but they had posted warnings about shooting the overhead baffles last time I was there. Being stupid and/or unsafe doesn't prevent one from owning a gun. We have total idiots amongst us!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Not every facility has the right location and arrangement to have a rifle range. I don't know anything about the analysis, but if bullets are indeed going over or around the berm, that's not something to take lightly. We as gun owners should be the first to hold these ranges accountable.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sorry to see this, but safety is number 1. I was there once and though the safety violations I saw would not have sent rounds beyond the range, they made me nervous when the RO didn't do anything about it.

My impression of the management/ownership was that they were most likely firearms enthusiasts with little formal training or experience in running a range.

I never went back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not every facility has the right location and arrangement to have a rifle range. I don't know anything about the analysis, but if bullets are indeed going over or around the berm, that's not something to take lightly. We as gun owners should be the first to hold these ranges accountable.

It is not the range if they are withing national guidelines. It is the idiot holding the gun. Lets hold then accountable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to see this, but safety is number 1. I was there once and though the safety violations I saw would not have sent rounds beyond the range, they made me nervous when the RO didn't do anything about it.

My impression of the management/ownership was that they were most likely firearms enthusiasts with little formal training or experience in running a range.

I never went back.

And there you have it.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't know how these ranges stay open. How do you police them? Cant imagine the insurance needed.

Like another fellow mentioned there are some mindless bung holes among us.

I was a member of a club oven in IL for about 12 years. Several times the guy living in back of range about a mile away found projectiles on his back patio. Lucky he was also a member and didn't get too bent about it. Turned out people were setting stuff on the ground to shoot at about 50yards out. Bullets hit the ground the pop back up out of the dirt and head right over the berm. Trees on top the berm were all shot to hell.

Another good one was we put up an archery platform stand and some archery targets. I roll up down there and a guy has a rifle up there blasting away at the shot gun portion of the range and archery targets.

I could go on and on with whack jobs down there. Ok one more......Dude rolls up on a Harley drunk as a skunk. I wasn't sure what to do but keep my hand on my SKS and watch. He pulls a pair of pistols out of the saddle bag and dual wields them. Complete mag dump on both guns simultaneously. Hopped back on his bike and off he went with his ol lady on the back. Barley made it out of the gravel parking lot.

Like I said not sure why or how they can stay alive and open to "the public" is beyond me. I am older and wiser now and only shoot alone on private land or private club with extremely low membership cap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know how these ranges stay open. How do you police them? Cant imagine the insurance needed.

Like another fellow mentioned there are some mindless bung holes among us.

I was a member of a club oven in IL for about 12 years. Several times the guy living in back of range about a mile away found projectiles on his back patio. Lucky he was also a member and didn't get too bent about it. Turned out people were setting stuff on the ground to shoot at about 50yards out. Bullets hit the ground the pop back up out of the dirt and head right over the berm. Trees on top the berm were all shot to hell.

Another good one was we put up an archery platform stand and some archery targets. I roll up down there and a guy has a rifle up there blasting away at the shot gun portion of the range and archery targets.

I could go on and on with whack jobs down there. Ok one more......Dude rolls up on a Harley drunk as a skunk. I wasn't sure what to do but keep my hand on my SKS and watch. He pulls a pair of pistols out of the saddle bag and dual wields them. Complete mag dump on both guns simultaneously. Hopped back on his bike and off he went with his ol lady on the back. Barley made it out of the gravel parking lot.

Like I said not sure why or how they can stay alive and open to "the public" is beyond me. I am older and wiser now and only shoot alone on private land or private club with extremely low membership cap.

And there you have it.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

I had a similar experience there. I was not on the rifle range but the logistics don't matter if the owners don't have safety concerns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had a similar experience there. I was not on the rifle range but the logistics don't matter if the owners don't have safety concerns.

Maybe you and I were there at same time? Mine was during a steel challenge event and one of the guys swept us all standing in the covered area.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Judge shuts down Spencer rifle range
    (Sorry HTO link requiring sub. All I could dig up.)

...SPENCER — After reopening on Memorial Day weekend, Precision Gun’s rifle range has been shut down again as part of a lawsuit involving homeowners, the shooting range and the Owen County Board of Zoning Appeals.

Special Judge Michael D. Keele issued the ruling Friday, after a two-day hearing on the matter in November.

Keele was assigned to preside over the case, which was filed this past July following the BZA’s June 18 decision to allow the range to reopen.

This is the second civil lawsuit filed against the gun range by nearby homeowners Jerry and Kathy Wise and David and Brozia Drake. The first, filed in 2017, is pending.

Keele’s 19-page ruling details the history of the gun range back to March 2015 when Michael Marshall applied for a conditional use permit to build Precision Gun Range on four lots in Franklin Industrial Park II. Precision Gun Range and property owner Baron Creek bought just one of the parcels along Wood Drive, just off Ind. 43...

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Our club had to invest over $80,000 in improvements to the berms and baffle construction because of a similar situation with a neighbor 800 yards downrange. They couldn't prove it was us as there is frequent gunfire heard in the area but, you know, liability and PR.

We are now a no-blue-sky range. RSOs are also required for the range to be open.

Best of luck to them. I hope they can find the support necessary to stay open.

Top Bottom