• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArisakaTiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2017
    Westfield
    All I can say is that I am relieved that no one lost their life and that they hopefully will not repeat the behaviors that resulted in having their most humbling event in your life published in a newspaper.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Bubba gon get him a deer this year, even if it kills him.

I'm totally down with hunting, but regular firearms season in Indiana scares me. Too many people, too little public land, too many dumb yokels looking to shoot something.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    waaaI am new and probably one of those guys everyone else hates to see in the woods. waaa A rookie looking to shoot something, I am, but I think I have the basics down pat. :nono: Shoot the deer, not the shooter.:rules: Now that is a common sense gun law. :soapbox:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There are so many ways of getting hurt while hunting, here are a couple of mine.

I always walked in to my stand with no shell in the chamber of my 870, since I never wanted to climb my stand with chambered shell and it was always illegal shooting time anyway(dark). I remember having a piece of fencing hook my trigger and dry fired my gun once, I apparently either forgot to put safety on since gun was unloaded or something had hit the safety. Was glad I had been taught to carry without chambered shell.

I took a young man about 12-13 and his dad rabbit hunting one day. Dogs were bringing rabbit around and we had kid cock his 410 single shot and get ready....the rabbit passed so quick he didn't get a shot and his dad quickly pushed the barrel towards the ground so the kid didn't shoot my beagles as they came thru. Well I turned to walk about 10 yards the other direction to get him set up for the next circle....I took a step and heard a gun shot with mud splattering my back and a stinging feel. I turned around and seen a hole in the ground and the dad came unglued on his son, took his gun and sent him to the truck. I asked what just happened? His dad said his son tried to uncock his gun while pointed at me, luckily when it went off he did have it kind of towards the ground. He had tried stopping the kid and the gun discharged. That was my closest call. I felt terrible for both the father and his son....but am glad I didn't take it to the back.

I could go on but I shouldn't be so long winded. Just be careful out yonder......and like driving, keep an eye on the other guy as much as you do yourself.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I hunted with a few guys back many years ago that just got way too excited about getting to shoot something. They would lose all perspective as to what they were doing.
    To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, act like you have shot something before and plan on shooting something again in the future.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    We talk to the same class of people. They always tell me how safe they were and that the gun was in a "safe direction".

When I bring up the loaded aspect of firearms, they act like Aspie INGOers. "Eet ain't low-dead!"

Yes, yes, we know. Rather than simply identifying and correcting actual gun handling violations (i.e. pointing them at people who don't need shot), you tend to just blather on about "the loaded aspect of firearms" - as if that was the first or most important thing to consider in safe gun handling.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, yes, we know. Rather than simply identifying and correcting actual gun handling violations (i.e. pointing them at people who don't need shot), you tend to just blather on about "the loaded aspect of firearms" - as if that was the first or most important thing to consider in safe gun handling.

People wave guns about because they think they are not loaded and cannot hurt anyone. People will use any excuse to rationalize their unsafe behavior just as they use any excuse to drive drunk or to trespass. Ignoring that all guns are always loaded gives a rationalization of unsafe conduct.

By removing the fact that guns are loaded you are encouraging people to be unsafe.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    People wave guns about because they think they are not loaded and cannot hurt anyone. People will use any excuse to rationalize their unsafe behavior just as they use any excuse to drive drunk or to trespass. Ignoring that all guns are always loaded gives a rationalization of unsafe conduct.

By removing the fact that guns are loaded you are encouraging people to be unsafe.

:blahblah:

Quit offering us your irrational excuses and correct their unsafe behaviors. Simple. Gun's only got one job.

Loaded, unloaded, quit waving them around like pompoms.

Top Bottom