• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hickory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    Gibson county
    My 12 year old granddaughter's 7th class went to the Evansville Gun Club for youth day. They had a drawing for a new rifle and she won.
    A Marlin model 60, 22 caliber with synthetic stock, nice little starter rifle. She is proud as punch of it.
    She called Tuesday night and wanted to come over Wednesday to sight it in. We have a little family shoot every Thanksgiving day using 22's.
    We went over the operation off the rifle then started shooting off of a shooting table. Her shots were all high so I kept lowering the rear sight. Made it better but still high. We then switched to standing, then her shots were all lower. Raised rear sight a little and got it grouping pretty good. Groups were good but off to the right a little.
    Had to quit because of darkness.
    The reason I am posting is because her trigger finger discipline was very good, never had to mention it once. She also used the safety all the time. She was also very careful with the direction of the muzzle. We have shot together several times before so I think those previous sessions she was paying attention.
    Next up is lessons on cleaning and care of her new rifle.
    Hickory

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Very nice to hear! Please tell her to keep it up and one day she'll be teaching children of her own! That is if great grandpa will step out of the way!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is awesome! It will no doubt be a treasured memory, her first time going out and shooting her first gun with her grandpa. What an awesome way to make memories together.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hickory..... That's a great story and post! Now that she has her "own rifle", I expect that you'll both enjoy shooting together when you can.

When she is ready, you should buy her a decent little scope and teach her to shoot proficiently with it. And next Spring, maybe you and she can get involved in a local club rimfire competition (benchrest or other), together. The .22 rimfire games are a lot of fun and pretty addictive, especially for young folks. If she gets good enough and wins a medal, certificate or trophy for "Top 3", it will be something she will be quite proud of, and will never forget that Grandpa helped her to accomplish.

Good job, friend!

Top Bottom