• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    That would ROCK.....at least for the consumer!

However, this is going to be a rough time for manufactures. Of course, this is predicated on that fact that there is not another incident or legislation that causes another long term panic buying trend...

But, I think we are going to see a sizable reduction of company's. Although some of it will be closing companies, I think the majority of it will involve buy outs and consolidations into more "Freedom Group" type of conglomerates. Smith and Wesson has started a group and I think we will see many of the major manufactures following that same path. As I see it, the best way to guarantee long term sustainability for firearms manufactures is to diversify their holdings into many sectors of the firearms industry. Ammo, Optics, Suppressors, Accessories, Training companies.......ect.

I also think that we may see some manufactures dabble in non-firearms products as they try to diversify enough to be able to survive a long term industry slump.

ArisakaTiger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2017
    Westfield
    The article provides some interesting commentary about how Aguila recognized an opportunity to grab market share and left American producers behind the curve.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I remember very planly, buying four bricks (the limit) of Thunderbolts from Dicks as a black Friday special at $11 per. It wasn't that long ago, however it is understood that ten years seems like a lifetime to younger folks.

This needs to be brought up every time the liberal loons start talking that "never gonna take your guns" BS.

If we screw around and let the libs be back in charge again, the competition that brings us decent pricing will turn back to the flippers who bank on fear.

Never forget...

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Meh. I'm good with the pretty easy to find deals of a .05/rd we have now. You keep squeezing the profit margin and we'll keep getting crappy ammo.
    I'd like to see some of the better stuff, like CCI Mini-Mags and SV go back down a bit though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I remember very planly, buying four bricks (the limit) of Thunderbolts from Dicks as a black Friday special at $11 per. It wasn't that long ago, however it is understood that ten years seems like a lifetime to younger folks.

This needs to be brought up every time the liberal loons start talking that "never gonna take your guns" BS.

If we screw around and let the libs be back in charge again, the competition that brings us decent pricing will turn back to the flippers who bank on fear.

Never forget...

It's probably been longer than I think but it doesn't seem like all that long ago you could buy bricks of Remington or Federals for $8.99 or $9.99.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Meh. I'm good with the pretty easy to find deals of a .05/rd we have now. You keep squeezing the profit margin and we'll keep getting crappy ammo.
    I'd like to see some of the better stuff, like CCI Mini-Mags and SV go back down a bit though.

It doesn't have to be that way...look at what you can buy a 55" HD tv for in the Black Friday sales. Remember what they used to cost?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    It doesn't have to be that way...look at what you can buy a 55" HD tv for in the Black Friday sales. Remember what they used to cost?
    I doubt that a new 55 inch tv has very much in common with the ones that used to be so expensive. On the other hand your round of 22 is about the same as it was 100 years ago.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Gentlemen,

I have seen Eley target and Eley club (at Dicks off all places) for less then $6 a box of 50 , SK standard velocity can be had regular for $50 a brick, that being said, if the high end stuff is more available, and at a cheaper price, I think this is a marker for the entire Rim fire market, in order to compete or keep there market share, prices will come down and quality will go up....

Aaron

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I doubt that a new 55 inch tv has very much in common with the ones that used to be so expensive. On the other hand your round of 22 is about the same as it was 100 years ago.

Right, but the similarity is though, they figured out how to reduce costs and beat out the less efficient competition. We're buying tvs from companies we'd never even heard of when the technology was new and expensive.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Local walmart in Portage has had remmy thunderbolts for quite some time now for $21.78 a brick. After tax comes in at .046 per round. I can live with that

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Bricks of .22 selling for under $11? I'll believe it when I see it.

Not going to hold my breath though.

Never forget...

Yep, I am still shooting bricks of Remington Golden Bullets I bought for about that price. My Advantage Arms kit is picky about ammo (and Golden Bullets are specifically recommended by the AA) and stocked up well when they were at good prices. I'll continue to stock up as begin to see prices continue to fall.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I sure wouldn't complain, but like others have said, I'm okay with paying current Wal-Mart prices. I have a 10/22 that's a little over 3 years old...it MIGHT have 100 round through it. I have about 2300 rounds on hand at the moment. At this rate, I'll be passing on .22 LR to my children.:):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I sure wouldn't complain, but like others have said, I'm okay with paying current Wal-Mart prices. I have a 10/22 that's a little over 3 years old...it MIGHT have 100 round through it. I have about 2300 rounds on hand at the moment. At this rate, I'll be passing on .22 LR to my children.:):

I have more than a dozen .22's to feed, and I've put more than 100 rounds through some of them in less than a day (nieces and nephews are hard on ammo stockpiles...)
    The current stockpile of 5600+ will not last long.
    I'll be stocking up for sure...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I used to buy 550 a week of federal bulk box. I quit because, well, it got just silly looking. Then I bought my first 22 can, shot through 90% of it, then it jumped in price/became unobtainable. That's where I'm sitting! Bring on the cheap stuff!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Local walmart in Portage has had remmy thunderbolts for quite some time now for $21.78 a brick. After tax comes in at .046 per round. I can live with that

I think we would all agree, that, that is great price. Too bad it isn't the price for a truly 'decent' .22LR ammo... like Mini Mags, Wolf standard velocity or SK.

Yea, I know, Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets shoot fairly decent (minute of squirrel head)... but they are just too damn dirty for my good rimfire guns. Makes cleaning your rifle, even after just 100-150 rounds, too much like work. I'll stick with Eley Club or Fiocchi, even at the higher prices.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Gentlemen,

I have seen Eley target and Eley club (at Dicks off all places) for less then $6 a box of 50 , SK standard velocity can be had regular for $50 a brick, that being said, if the high end stuff is more available, and at a cheaper price, I think this is a marker for the entire Rim fire market, in order to compete or keep there market share, prices will come down and quality will go up....

Aaron

I think we would all agree, that, that is great price. Too bad it isn't the price for a truly 'decent' .22LR ammo... like Mini Mags, Wolf standard velocity or SK.

Yea, I know, Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets shoot fairly decent (minute of squirrel head)... but they are just too damn dirty for my good rimfire guns. Makes cleaning your rifle, even after just 100-150 rounds, too much like work. I'll stick with Eley Club or Fiocchi, even at the higher prices.

I was a die hard bulk pack shooter. "If it wouldn't shoot Fed bulk pack well, work on it 'till it does."

This summer, I discovered what slightly more expensive standard velocity and lower scale match grade 22 ammo can do, in even an inexpensive rifle.

That's what I'll be stocking up on, as prices creep lower.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom