• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Should be interesting if it goes through. They should write it so the laws in your state determine your firearm options. Hate to carry a handgun with 11 rounds into a state or city that only allows 10 or 6 in some cases and get arrested. I recall one lady had defense ammo in her handgun, and the state or city had a law against hollow point ammo, so they arrested her. State laws that require a license plate on front and back of vehicle don't worry about an out of state vehicle with only a rear license plate. I am not sure about window tint laws if it is legal in your state and you drive through a state with more restrictive tint laws.

Of course a California resident who gets a non resident Florida CCW will cause liberal heads to explode if it becomes legal. Might become a money making business for states that issue non resident licenses.

Woman with Pa. handgun permit faces prison sentence for carrying in New Jersey | NJ.com

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Should be interesting if it goes through. They should write it so the laws in your state determine your firearm options. Hate to carry a handgun with 11 rounds into a state or city that only allows 10 or 6 in some cases and get arrested. I recall one lady had defense ammo in her handgun, and the state or city had a law against hollow point ammo, so they arrested her. State laws that require a license plate on front and back of vehicle don't worry about an out of state vehicle with only a rear license plate. I am not sure about window tint laws if it is legal in your state and you drive through a state with more restrictive tint laws.

Of course a California resident who gets a non resident Florida CCW will cause liberal heads to explode if it becomes legal. Might become a money making business for states that issue non resident licenses.

Woman with Pa. handgun permit faces prison sentence for carrying in New Jersey | NJ.com
    According to GOA the state that issues your permit sets the guidelines for what you're allowed to carry when going to different states.

States that issue non resident permits could make a killing off of this, ban state residents (think NYC) could say goodbye to 5 round limits.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    According to GOA the state that issues your permit sets the guidelines for what you're allowed to carry when going to different states.

States that issue non resident permits could make a killing off of this, ban state residents (think NYC) could say goodbye to 5 round limits.
    I have not seen or read the whole bill, but I’m betting, ANY National Reciprocity law will come with the caveat that you have to adhere to the local law, just as it is now with reciprocity. i.e. if in Ohio on my Indiana Larry, I must still inform if interacting with LE.? Someone smarter and more legal than me can confirm, deny, or slap the **** out of my interpretation.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I have not seen or read the whole bill, but I’m betting, ANY National Reciprocity law will come with the caveat that you have to adhere to the local law, just as it is now with reciprocity. i.e. if in Ohio on my Indiana Larry, I must still inform if interacting with LE.? Someone smarter and more legal than me can confirm, deny, or slap the **** out of my interpretation.

Such a caveat would render the bill useless. The whole purpose is to protect rogue states & cities from establishing their own rules that trap out of state visitors with carry permits.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Such a caveat would render the bill useless. The whole purpose is to protect rogue states & cities from establishing their own rules that trap out of state visitors with carry permits.

Are you saying that unless we can open carry with no mag restrictions in the rest of the country as we can in Indiana that the bill is useless? I for one would be happy to CC in Illinois with their mag restrictions rather than what I am allowed to do there now.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I for one would be happy to CC in Illinois with their mag restrictions rather than what I am allowed to do there now.
    Piggyback since you mentioned Illinoisistan - would I be able to buy ammo in Illinois under this new act? They currently only sell in state to FOID holders.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Are you saying that unless we can open carry with no mag restrictions in the rest of the country as we can in Indiana that the bill is useless? I for one would be happy to CC in Illinois with their mag restrictions rather than what I am allowed to do there now.

I think the devil will be in the details. There will no doubt have to be either an adherence to local law (local pd can't possibly know what is legal in other states) or there has to be a national regulatory commission that establishes federal protocol. Too bad individual officers can't use common sense such as no bad intent equals no foul.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Until I see a tax reform bill clear the Senate I'm still saying that McConnell couldn't get 50 votes for free ice cream.

This won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Chuck U Schummer will knock over his armed security to get to a microphone to cry about this. That's not really relevant here but it helps illustrate the hypocrisy we see every day.

State of residency will be a key issue here. I hate to use driver's licensing as an example but it's all I got right now. When we moved to Virginia from Florida in 2003 our oldest son was 16 and had a Florida driver's license. If he hadn't have taken Driver's Ed he couldn't have got a Virginia driver's license since he was under 18, even though he had a valid Florida license. As a non-Virginia resident with a Florida license driving in Virginia was never an issue.

A reciprocity license (or whatever the kids are calling them now) will be needed for crossing a State line. I'm sure at some point in history there were States not issuing licenses while others had licenses. Somehow we got passed that.

Concern: taking one step forward and two steps back. Right now for that road-trip to Florida you look at the road signs. Everyone drives on the right side of the road and the speed limit/other signs are in English and look very similar. State highway signs look different from state to state but not so much we can't figure it out.

OH!!?? You mean the road trip involves carrying a handgun?? Multiple sources of research from fellow INGOers to Handgunlaw.US are now required. Do all of these States have reciprocity with Indiana? Are any "must inform"? Can I carry in a bar and what does the State consider a bar? Do I have to wait by the big lobster tank at Red Lobster and not in the bar-area in Kentucky? Can I not carry on a college campus in Tennessee? Were they drunk when they wrote the gun laws in Alabama? Is Florida concealed-carry only and how concealed is concealed?

Will we the lawful carriers of handguns be better or worse off than the status quo when its all said and done?

I've said before that it's easy to not carry a gun. Lawfully carrying requires thought, planning, and research. With HR 38 we are in for a fight but that's OK. It's the same fight we've been fighting all along. NRA is backing the legislation as are 24 State Attorney Generals.

How we will fail: we fight each other instead of the other side.

https://www.nraila.org/email/grassroots-alerts/2017/vol-24-no-46-120117/

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Until I see a tax reform bill clear the Senate I'm still saying that McConnell couldn't get 50 votes for free ice cream.

This won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. Chuck U Schummer will knock over his armed security to get to a microphone to cry about this. That's not really relevant here but it helps illustrate the hypocrisy we see every day.

State of residency will be a key issue here. I hate to use driver's licensing as an example but it's all I got right now. When we moved to Virginia from Florida in 2003 our oldest son was 16 and had a Florida driver's license. If he hadn't have taken Driver's Ed he couldn't have got a Virginia driver's license since he was under 18, even though he had a valid Florida license. As a non-Virginia resident with a Florida license driving in Virginia was never an issue.

A reciprocity license (or whatever the kids are calling them now) will be needed for crossing a State line. I'm sure at some point in history there were States not issuing licenses while others had licenses. Somehow we got passed that.

Concern: taking one step forward and two steps back. Right now for that road-trip to Florida you look at the road signs. Everyone drives on the right side of the road and the speed limit/other signs are in English and look very similar. State highway signs look different from state to state but not so much we can't figure it out.

OH!!?? You mean the road trip involves carrying a handgun?? Multiple sources of research from fellow INGOers to Handgunlaw.US are now required. Do all of these States have reciprocity with Indiana? Are any "must inform"? Can I carry in a bar and what does the State consider a bar? Do I have to wait by the big lobster tank at Red Lobster and not in the bar-area in Kentucky? Can I not carry on a college campus in Tennessee? Were they drunk when they wrote the gun laws in Alabama? Is Florida concealed-carry only and how concealed is concealed?

Will we the lawful carriers of handguns be better or worse off than the status quo when its all said and done?

I've said before that it's easy to not carry a gun. Lawfully carrying requires thought, planning, and research. With HR 38 we are in for a fight but that's OK. It's the same fight we've been fighting all along. NRA is backing the legislation as are 24 State Attorney Generals.

How we will fail: we fight each other instead of the other side.

https://www.nraila.org/email/grassroots-alerts/2017/vol-24-no-46-120117/
    Ooops! Total misread!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why not just nullify the repugnant state prohibitions infringing upon the RKBA?

Why should anyone in the U.S. be required to abide by licensing schemes and restrictions on what, how and where they may bear arms?

This is nonsense.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why not just nullify the repugnant state prohibitions infringing upon the RKBA?

Why should anyone in the U.S. be required to abide by licensing schemes and restrictions on what, how and where they may bear arms?

This is nonsense.

Of course it is.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    I think the devil will be in the details. There will no doubt have to be either an adherence to local law (local pd can't possibly know what is legal in other states) or there has to be a national regulatory commission that establishes federal protocol. Too bad individual officers can't use common sense such as no bad intent equals no foul.

It's funny to think of LEO's crying because they can't possibly know what is legal in other states, but that is exactly what we are expected to know when traveling. And not just for every state, but every city, country, township, etc. in states that allow the local units of .gov to make their own nonsense rules. Ignorance of the law ain't no excuse, officer!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big money states like NY and CA will finish this off if for no other reason than that they can. Nobody tells a corrupt political machine what it can and can't do to it's subjects.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Every one is focussed on h.r. 38. But what about h.r. 4437(?) Fix nics. How much info do we have on it? Ive tried searching for it but it wasnt up to be read just a note that it was to be voted on. All ive heard about it is a little unsettling. Im hoping for someone with real knowledge about it. Not just scuttlebutt.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Every one is focussed on h.r. 38. But what about h.r. 4437(?) Fix nics. How much info do we have on it? Ive tried searching for it but it wasnt up to be read just a note that it was to be voted on. All ive heard about it is a little unsettling. Im hoping for someone with real knowledge about it. Not just scuttlebutt.
    Not just scuttlebutt? This is the Internet, that's what we do here :D There is a lot of discussion on the fix NICS bill. A big problem I see is making people do their job. This is not a loophole and I yell at the TV every time it is referred to as such. Not sure if there is a fix NICS bill thread around here, if not go for it!

Top Bottom