The case against shiny defensive firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    As I look at some of my blued handguns that show honest wear I was thinking about the stainless, nickle, matte chrome finishes and thought hell, they don't show the wear marks. I began thinking about the rare instances some relatives or coworkers would talk about their time in the military. Like the Korean vets that were taught if you feel the need for a cigarette to cup your hand over it at night and the coworker that carried an M60 in Vietnam and seen his share of ****storms. Tracers work both ways. In any case it is about giving yourself away.

Now to the point of a shiny defensive firearm. Yeah they look cool but how would it work in a dark alley with a volley of fire? I'll use the worn blue in the chance a flash of light catches that shiny BBQ gun. Blued firearms can still give a glare but the chances are lessened.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I would say you're over thinking it.

If you need to pull a pistol in self defense it means you're engaged with someone you've deemed to be a threat to your life. At that point the threat has already engaged/targeted you to some degree, so they already know where you are.

It's not like you're a sniper hiding in the shadows.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'd have to look at BBI's numbers again, but I recall most self-defense shootings being over in a couple of seconds with three rounds or less fired, all from less than 5 feet. I doubt a reflective finish would even be noticed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Here, I thought this was going to be a thread about how hard it is to clean scuffs and smudges off of stainless/nickle finishes. They're so pretty, you almost hate to touch them. Then, when you do, you have to work them over again.

That's really the only case I can think of against them.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Yes, most self defense shootings are up close and personal. What if you end up in an unusual situation like a Vegas or church shooting? I realize the odds are slim but having been I pilot I believe in preparing for the worse possible scenario.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, most self defense shootings are up close and personal. What if you end up in an unusual situation like a Vegas or church shooting? I realize the odds are slim but having been I pilot I believe in preparing for the worse possible scenario.

If you are in a situation with a maniac gunman spraying bullets all over the place I doubt that they are going to be looking for a shiny gun as a new target.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

So, do you carry a full auto (blued) belt fed weapon?

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I think this is a viable topic. Personally, I don't own anything stainless, chrome, nickel etc. Asthetically black is better looking to my eye. That being said, black has more advantages than just aesthetics. An example would be contrast with clothing. I have blue jeans and some sort of darkish colored shirt or jacket on 95% of the time. I carry concealed. If my cover garment happened to be swept up on accident, silver would be much more noticeable than black against my clothing. For me, an OC'r carrying a silver gun is easier to spot from a further distance then one carrying a black gun.

I dont know that the color of your weapon would make much difference in a gunfight though.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Here, I thought this was going to be a thread about how hard it is to clean scuffs and smudges off of stainless/nickle finishes. They're so pretty, you almost hate to touch them. Then, when you do, you have to work them over again.

That's really the only case I can think of against them.

Back in a a prior life I was issued a really shiny stainless S&W 66. We had extensive and very picky inspections. After carefully cleaning the weapon, we would polish the flat surfaces with Simichrome. Just to be extra shiny.

Once the first guy did it, then we all had to so that we could avoid getting the dreaded "Satisfactory" on our inspections. "Outstanding" was the (unattainable) goal; "Superior" was passing. "Marginal" was right out.
    maxresdefault.jpg

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think there is a course in Feb at MTAC that should cover this topic. Civilian response should be short and sweet, if you have to shelter in place keep your pistol in a low ready position while protecting yourself and your loved ones that should conceal the shinyness. If you are in an old western stand off in the checkout aisle of the Kroger, you should not let the assailant have the opportunity to pick you off because he saw your gun. You drew your gun because your life was threatened and you should be prepared to follow through before the bad guy does. Egress is always the first option.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    and the coworker that carried an M60 in Vietnam and seen his share of ****storms. Tracers work both ways. In any case it is about giving yourself away.

Ok, how many L-shaped ambushes do you think defensive handgun carriers are setting? I have had my LTCH since 1988. I have not set a single ambush, not even on the point where we surf but Charlie Does not.

In any case it is about giving yourself away.

And so? I give myself away and the fight does not take place? Cool! All about the sword of no sword.

Look, you are carrying defensively. You don't have the initiative out on the d34dly streetz. Your initiative is taken when you decide not to go there. Don't go to the knife-fighting bar. Don't walk through the Worst Part of Indianapolis at 0200, even if Charlie does not surf.

You will be on the receiving team, not the kicking team. You will be on the road to Phu Bai, with or without Rafterman, and you will either be: 1) ambushed, 2) meeting engagement. Who cares what the pistol looks like?

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, how many L-shaped ambushes do you think defensive handgun carriers are setting? I have had my LTCH since 1988. I have not set a single ambush, not even on the point where we surf but Charlie Does not.

And so? I give myself away and the fight does not take place? Cool! All about the sword of no sword.

Look, you are carrying defensively. You don't have the initiative out on the d34dly streetz. Your initiative is taken when you decide not to go there. Don't go to the knife-fighting bar. Don't walk through the Worst Part of Indianapolis at 0200, even if Charlie does not surf.

You will be on the receiving team, not the kicking team. You will be on the road to Phu Bai, with or without Rafterman, and you will either be: 1) ambushed, 2) meeting engagement. Who cares what the pistol looks like?

Reminded me to keep going after Cacciato.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

+1 for apocalypse now and full metal jacket references

OutdoorsGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Greenwood
    Carry what pleases you. I've been in Iraq twice & never gave a flip what my weapon looked like only that it worked when needed. It's a different story if you're a sniper but that was not the OP position. If you need to draw your weapon you've deemed a (your) life in danger and you should be willing & able & trained to engage.

When you fire at an animal what is one thing you don't notice? Recoil

When you fire at a person in self defense what is one thing you don't notice? How shiny or lack thereof of your weapon

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Right but as big as you are, Sgt. Gumpypants put you at the bottom of the L with a Saco Def. M60, not a Smith & Wesson M65.

Back when I did this (at least while PFC and Spec. Grumpypants), I was, indeed, carrying an M60...the Michigan National Guard's most worn out example, I suspect, and to be clear, these were for training purposes. I never L-shaped in anger...well, other than being angry about carrying the M60 and my assistant gunner supposedly pulling a hammy, so getting the gun, extra barrel and almost all of the ammo (these kinds of indignities have a tendency not to happen as often once you're Sgt. Grumpypants)....but I digress.

In any event, if the glint from my defensive handgun ever becomes an issue, chances are I was lying in wait....in which case I'm not so sure it's appropriate to call it a "defensive" handgun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you have a long gun and have it in a tree stand or have an AR-15 on the range in the heat all day, yeah, hitting it with bread brown and baby puke green might be great, but as to a pistol, pffft, it won't matter.

If I have to go forward and go get someone, ok, maybe I want something subdued.

As to me? No badge. No salad suit. I don't have to go forward. I won't.

Top Bottom