Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

The case against shiny defensive firearms.

As I look at some of my blued handguns that show honest wear I was thinking about the stainless, nickle, matte chrome finishes and thought hell, they don't show the wear marks. I began thinking about the rare instances some relatives or coworkers would talk about their time in the military. Like the Korean vets that were taught if you feel the need for a cigarette to cup your hand over it at night and the coworker that carried an M60 in Vietnam and seen his share of ****storms. Tracers work both ways. In any case it is about giving yourself away.

Now to the point of a shiny defensive firearm. Yeah they look cool but how would it work in a dark alley with a volley of fire? I'll use the worn blue in the chance a flash of light catches that shiny BBQ gun. Blued firearms can still give a glare but the chances are lessened.

I would say you're over thinking it.

If you need to pull a pistol in self defense it means you're engaged with someone you've deemed to be a threat to your life. At that point the threat has already engaged/targeted you to some degree, so they already know where you are.

It's not like you're a sniper hiding in the shadows.
    If I had a gun for every ace I have drawn, I could arm a town the size of Abilene.

I'd have to look at BBI's numbers again, but I recall most self-defense shootings being over in a couple of seconds with three rounds or less fired, all from less than 5 feet. I doubt a reflective finish would even be noticed.
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

“The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Here, I thought this was going to be a thread about how hard it is to clean scuffs and smudges off of stainless/nickle finishes. They're so pretty, you almost hate to touch them. Then, when you do, you have to work them over again.

That's really the only case I can think of against them.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

Yes, most self defense shootings are up close and personal. What if you end up in an unusual situation like a Vegas or church shooting? I realize the odds are slim but having been I pilot I believe in preparing for the worse possible scenario.

Sharpshooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Volume View Post
    Yes, most self defense shootings are up close and personal. What if you end up in an unusual situation like a Vegas or church shooting? I realize the odds are slim but having been I pilot I believe in preparing for the worse possible scenario.
    If you are in a situation with a maniac gunman spraying bullets all over the place I doubt that they are going to be looking for a shiny gun as a new target.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Volume View Post
    So, do you carry a full auto (blued) belt fed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    So, do you carry a full auto (blued) belt fed weapon?
    Or a Barrett .50 when you care to send the very best....

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Or a Barrett .50 when you care to send the very best....
    "Is that a Barrett .50 in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

Plinker
    I think this is a viable topic. Personally, I don't own anything stainless, chrome, nickel etc. Asthetically black is better looking to my eye. That being said, black has more advantages than just aesthetics. An example would be contrast with clothing. I have blue jeans and some sort of darkish colored shirt or jacket on 95% of the time. I carry concealed. If my cover garment happened to be swept up on accident, silver would be much more noticeable than black against my clothing. For me, an OC'r carrying a silver gun is easier to spot from a further distance then one carrying a black gun.

I dont know that the color of your weapon would make much difference in a gunfight though.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast