• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi guys and girls;
    Hey, I was reading a post about light firing pin strikes the other day and since I was at the range just the other day I decided to check my fired primers on my 9mm carry gun and I noticed that they (seemed) to be light strikes (small indents), so I got out my magnifier and took a closer look at them and discovered that high pressure of the standard 9mm factory rounds were actually swelling the primer into the firing pin hole and then slicing off part of the primer when the barrel unlock, leaving a small piece of primer brass in the hole.
    After close examination I could see there was a very sharp edge on the entrance of the firing pin hole that was shearing off this brass, so I carefully and gently deburred the edge with a drill bit.
    My thinking is that those chips might add up and clog the firing pin possibly causing lite strikes in the future.
    I'll have to wait until I go to the range again to see if it helped.
    If you see a bunch of brass chips in the slide, this might be what is causing it.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My son had a Ruger LC9 doing the same thing. You may want to remove the firing pin and clean the channel of the brass shavings. His LC9 was completely unreliable until he figured it out.

Top Bottom