Wife gave me $600 to spend on myself, what should I use it for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    So my amazing wife blew me away this Christmas. Not only did she get me a big set of steel targets, she got together with my in laws and gave me enough to buy the gun that I've been wanting that just happened to pop up on r/gundeals:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128636&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Year End

I have wanted an SFX for over a year. Originally sold my MP9 to get both an Elite and SFX but had some financial roadbumps and only ended up with the Elite. It does everything well, but I just know the SFX is made for Carry Optics (which I want to try), and it's the shiny new thing, who doesn't love an upgrade :):

Now I have the money in hand, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I keep feeling like there's something else I should be spending it on. Maybe I feel bad because I'm spending it all on one thing I don't really NEED, maybe it's just weird because I've been looking at it for so long, I don't know.

While I'm pondering life questions, I want INGOs help spending my money

Here is my safe as it sits now:

My AR, nothing special, with a TRS-25 for plinking/2gun
    My Elite, for USPSA/carry/nightstand
    Her SR9, steel/carry/nightstand
    Our Shield, carry
    My Ruger MKIII, plinking
    300rds 9mm, with components for 500more
    200rds 5.56
    An unmounted Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32

Other things I could spend this money on:

A 2nd AR, because they are stupid cheap right now/2 is 1, 1 is none/I have an optic to put on it :whistle: I could also make it 'hers' and have her input in getting components/building it, even though the money is supposed to be for me

A shotgun, because I don't have one, and I could end up using it for 3gun and maybe (hopefully) hunting

The SFX without the Venom for ~$450, and spend the remainder on ammo, and get the Venom later (I just hate to do this because I doubt I'll be able to find a Venom for $150)

Or I can spend it on something else that you feel I'm missing. What should I do? :Ingo:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To buy a hand gun like the one in your link is not a have to have. It is a want to have.
    AR's are everywhere right now. Dirt cheap as you say.
    A good 12 gauge is always a good addition.

If funds are limited move in the direction of something you will use. JMHO.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If something is telling you to wait, you might want to listen to that voice. If you're a religious man, you might want to pray on it.

Could be that little voice is hinting that maybe you really don't want that gun in the OP and something else is in your future.

Once you come to terms and are satisfied it's ok to pull the trigger (so to speak) :) buy what you want.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    To buy a hand gun like the one in your link is not a have to have. It is a want to have.
    AR's are everywhere right now. Dirt cheap as you say.
    A good 12 gauge is always a good addition.

If funds are limited move in the direction of something you will use. JMHO.

You're absolutely right, it isn't a have to have. But it is something I will get the most use out of between the AR or shotgun.

Someone elsewhere suggested a 22 rifle, which has got me considering that pretty heavily instead.

My vote goes for a basic 12 ga pump. Either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Use the extra dollars for some ammo. Everyone needs a decent shotgun in the battery.

I get that thought process, I just know that I will use the SFX far more than the shottie. The private land I shoot at, the owner has an 1100 that I use if I want to shoot skeet/trap, and I don't have time to put in the work to practice using the shotgun for 3 gun at the moment. I don't really want to just check a box, ya know?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're absolutely right, it isn't a have to have. But it is something I will get the most use out of between the AR or shotgun.

Someone elsewhere suggested a 22 rifle, which has got me considering that pretty heavily instead.

I get that thought process, I just know that I will use the SFX far more than the shottie. The private land I shoot at, the owner has an 1100 that I use if I want to shoot skeet/trap, and I don't have time to put in the work to practice using the shotgun for 3 gun at the moment. I don't really want to just check a box, ya know?

I think you just answered your question.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I think you just answered your question.

I keep saying the same thing, but the fact that I have something that can do the same thing as the SFX (not as well, but I'm certain I'm not good enough for equipment to make a huge difference) still gives me hesitation

I appreciate the quick replies

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    So my amazing wife blew me away this Christmas. Not only did she get me a big set of steel targets, she got together with my in laws and gave me enough to buy the gun that I've been wanting that just happened to pop up on r/gundeals:

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128636&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Year End

I have wanted an SFX for over a year. Originally sold my MP9 to get both an Elite and SFX but had some financial roadbumps and only ended up with the Elite. It does everything well, but I just know the SFX is made for Carry Optics (which I want to try), and it's the shiny new thing, who doesn't love an upgrade :):

Now I have the money in hand, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I keep feeling like there's something else I should be spending it on. Maybe I feel bad because I'm spending it all on one thing I don't really NEED, maybe it's just weird because I've been looking at it for so long, I don't know.

While I'm pondering life questions, I want INGOs help spending my money

Here is my safe as it sits now:

My AR, nothing special, with a TRS-25 for plinking/2gun
    My Elite, for USPSA/carry/nightstand
    Her SR9, steel/carry/nightstand
    Our Shield, carry
    My Ruger MKIII, plinking
    300rds 9mm, with components for 500more
    200rds 5.56
    An unmounted Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32

Other things I could spend this money on:

A 2nd AR, because they are stupid cheap right now/2 is 1, 1 is none/I have an optic to put on it :whistle: I could also make it 'hers' and have her input in getting components/building it, even though the money is supposed to be for me

A shotgun, because I don't have one, and I could end up using it for 3gun and maybe (hopefully) hunting

The SFX without the Venom for ~$450, and spend the remainder on ammo, and get the Venom later (I just hate to do this because I doubt I'll be able to find a Venom for $150)

Or I can spend it on something else that you feel I'm missing. What should I do? :Ingo:

Not my business... but you did ask... and mentioned the highlighted.

Are you debt free? If not, pay down debt.

If so...
    Do you have an emergency fund?
    Will it cover several months of expenses if you experience loss of income?

If so, enjoy buying what you want, but I would echo GodFearinGunTotin regarding thoughtful consideration.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Not my business... but you did ask... and mentioned the highlighted.

Are you debt free? If not, pay down debt.

If so...
    Do you have an emergency fund?
    Will it cover several months of expenses if you experience loss of income?

If so, enjoy buying what you want, but I would echo GodFearinGunTotin regarding thoughtful consideration.

I appreciate the thoughtfulness, those issues are far more important than which new toy to get.

No debt other than the mortgage. 3 months in our savings, 6 months in a different account. The only reason there was a roadbump was a month of no consistent income between graduating college and leaving for BOLC, which we knew about long in advance. Planned or not, it's irresponsible to spend extra money on guns when you don't have an income. But we've put everything back and are good to go.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    If you don't buy the gun you want you will probably regret it later. I have never regretted buying one but do some I have past by. As far as a shotgun, if you attend gun shows you can find a lot of Mossberg's pretty cheap later. Yeah I know they are badmouthed as a cheap gun but I own a couple along with a Winchester and a Browning. The Mossy's are every bit as reliable and accurate. In fact one year the clay or skeet state champion won with one! Also if you go to gun shows you can buy pieces and parts for an AR dirt cheap, maybe you can spend $30 ~$50 on each visit and a one time purchase of about $90 for a barrel and assemble it, there are plenty of people here that will give you good advice. I just finished building 4 AR's, 3 for me and one for my son. The last two were grendel's. Think the average price was around $350 for the 5.56's and about $550 for the Grendel's.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I appreciate the thoughtfulness, those issues are far more important than which new toy to get.

No debt other than the mortgage. 3 months in our savings, 6 months in a different account. The only reason there was a roadbump was a month of no consistent income between graduating college and leaving for BOLC, which we knew about long in advance. Planned or not, it's irresponsible to spend extra money on guns when you don't have an income. But we've put everything back and are good to go.

Good for you. I'm glad to hear about others focused on being squared away.

Enjoy your purchase, whatever you choose.

Top Bottom