• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootinit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    NE
    Did I get your attention? i just bought a STI Tactical 5.0 ss 1911. I got it for an amazingly low price. I bought it from a young guy that bought it on a whim after he won a $5k ticket. He never owned a $2300 gun before. I told him to meet me and if it was a low round count and was as new like he said, I'd buy it. He then said if you buy it I'll throw in a gun belt and leather holster made for it that costs over $225 and give me 275 rounds of ammo for it. It is a 40 S&W and he had it in his mind listening to others that a 40S&W was not the best round and he wanted a 45. Once I put that thing my hand I said Lets go to an indoor range that I shoot at and shoot up some of that ammo you brought. If it shoots, I'll take it. It felt like a special custom hand gun , fitted for me. I had it in my mind that It was mine after the first shot. I put two 10 round Dawson mags down range on a target and the group looked like a tiny chocolate chip cookie. I have to say it was made for me, and I shoot a lot and load rounds till I find perfection. You say a 40 S&W ? A shooter can shoot a BB gun effectively. Forget what round you "think" is effective. The gun is more important. I never argue a caliber ever. I shoot almost everything but a 380. If I can hit a target with a handgun effectively, if its a 9mm. or 40 S&W, or a 45, mission acomplished. Im going to hit target with the right gun, with a good grip and a good stance breathing properly, forget the caliber argument. My sister weigh 145 and she can put 6 rounds on target at 25 yards every time with my S$W 6 inch 629 44 mag. It's not a recoil problem for her. We forget that the objective is to hit target repetively. The only caliber that is effective is the one that hits target period. Now i an talking about 9mm and up. A 22 will do the job but Lets be reasonable. If truth be known, the FBI data is not trustworthy. They just switched again to a G2 9mm boolit. I have an aquaintance whose son works in the FBI. He gave me a box that he had. 147 grain G2 with clear polly inside the hollow point. Great 9mm round. but Because I shoot a Kahr K40 better than any other carry gun I have ever had, "MY" best round is an Underwood 165 grain 40S&W traveling at 1220 FPS, making just under 600 foot pounds of energy. The heavy all stainless steel frame and the 4 inch ported barrel has no problem handling the recoil as long as my grip is good. I have shot that round very accurately and followup shots are quick. i cant do the same with a Glock (bad grip for me and I dont care for the trigger) or most orher Poly guns. The 40 has a lower dB than a 9mm and a 45acp also. it can not match my 1911 45acp, but i dont carry one. Given the right gun I am just as deadly with any of these three calibers for self defense. Now for bear backup or hunting, I want my .44mag. Thats why they make so many different guns and calibers, for us to have so much fun shooting them. Please dont turn this into a 9mm vs. 40vs 45 argument. i am making a totally different point.

Attachments

• IMG_0155.JPG
      IMG_0155.JPG
      326.1 KB · Views: 32
    • IMG_0153.jpg
      IMG_0153.jpg
      58.7 KB · Views: 23

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    In my opinion, if the 40 S&W guns and ammo were sold at the same price as the 9mm, the 9mm would have died off years ago. Finally after 30 years the price of 40 S&W is coming more in line with 9mm. Just too late in the game, the 40 S&W missed a huge opportunity to become the main weapon of the US military, police and LTCH guys. Great round, just not marketed correctly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    In my opinion, if the 40 S&W guns and ammo were sold at the same price as the 9mm, the 9mm would have died off years ago. Finally after 30 years the price of 40 S&W is coming more in line with 9mm. Just too late in the game, the 40 S&W missed a huge opportunity to become the main weapon of the US military, police and LTCH guys. Great round, just not marketed correctly.

I think the 40 was marketed correctly. It took the LE market by storm after it was introduced and supported by the FBI after the 1986 incident. Once again the FBI is supporting another caliber and just like in the past their choice is changing a lot of PD's and civilians. What happens when they change their mind again ? Yes a new trend will begin.
    I do agree if 40 were same price it would effect 9mm sales however that could never happen due to more material to make the round. And I agree the 40 is a great round, issued one and own one.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    What would really help the OP is to use paragraphs to make the post easier to read. Half-way through and I was lost in a sea of words.

Also, as mentioned, I am not sure your point, but yes, a lot of different rounds can be effective, including the .40 S&W.

shootinit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    NE
    Not a writer or a keyboard jockey. Not politically correct either lol. Just love guns and shooting them well.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    wall_o__text-blog-full.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Someone else might have mentioned the lack of paragraphs and failure to be succinct, but that has to qualify as a "quality" post nonetheless!

The topic has been beat to death. If I didn't already have a 9mm and 45 acp, I wouldn't be opposed to 40 S&W but, at least for me, it just fall in between 9mm and 45 acp to no benefit.

Plus the real answer to 9/40/45? is 357 magnum.

Now if you want to talk about failed marketing, the .356 TSW - that load had potential. 147 gr with more energy than 40 SW in an autoloading platform.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Not a writer or a keyboard jockey. Not politically correct either lol. Just love guns and shooting them well.

Don't have to be a writer to hit the enter key, it's common courtesy. Once upon a time these things were taught in school. A giant ocean of text is no fun to read and will be passed over almost every time.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    TL; DR

OP: Your message was lost in its delivery. From reading the posts of others who took the time to decipher your message, it apparently has some good discussion value.

Please, please, please, let paragraphs be your friend. I think most INGO members want everyone to succeed. Welcome to INGO.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I carried .40 exclusively for a few years....The cost factor and ballistics were not justified for so little gain so I switched to 9mm...Now that the .40 stuff is coming down to manageable levels, may switch back...

Top Bottom