• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    My wife recently got her carry permit and is shopping for a new concealed carry weapon. I asked he "what is your number one priority in a concealed carry weapon? Caliber, size, brand, reliability, concealability or something else?" She thought for a minute and said "I don't really know." She said she doesn't want some big bulky thing but doesn't want a mouse gun either. I have been letting her carry a couple of mine some and that hasn't helped much. She started with a 2" airweight .38, then a Kahr PM9, a Shield 9 and finally an XD 4" service model 9mm.

She is leaning toward the size of the Shield but also liked the .38....she is an experienced shooter, so a semi auto is fine for her....So what do you look for in a concealed carry? One or all of the above?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    One that goes bang every trigger pull, one you can hit what you're aiming at and one you will carry all the time.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I agree with BT. A gun that is a great shooter but isn't carried isn't going to help. She needs to be able to carry it and comfortable doing it. After she determines the size and or style, then you can find a reliable one that fits the bill.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Reliability is always my first priority as without this, all the other things mean nothing.
    If it's going to be carried concealed, concealability comes next.
    A caliber the carrier is comfortable with.
    Price, because if God forbid it has to be used in self defense, it's likely be swiped by the police and maybe never seen again soon if at all.
    You don't want to have too much money wrapped up in it.

For me when concealability is most important, I like the S&W 9mm Shield.
    When concealability isn't first priority, I like a Sig P229 in .357sig with hot 125 grain Underwood hollow points.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And it must be something she likes to shoot. Get her an airweight 38 and she will most likely hate it. Those are uncomfortable to shoot. And if she doesnt like to shoot it, she wont want to practice with it, etc, etc etc.

I would suggest going no lower than a 9mm. 380 is OK with the right ammo. Its better than nothing.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    IMO/:twocents:
    1)reliability
    2)"shoot ability". Does it fit your hand and have a good trigger so you can hit what you're shooting at?
    3)size/concealability
    4)caliber--#4 instead of #3 because there are so many good little guns, that there's no need to choose a poor caliber in order to get a concealable pistol
    5)type of action. Choosing between the pros and cons of revolvers vs. semi autos depends on personal circumstances and needs

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Contrary to the general consensus, I'm going to say the most important aspect would be a gun that you/she is proficient at shooting.
    Even if you have the most reliable firearm made, it won't do you much good if you can't hit your target.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Three or four years ago I needed to change my EDC due to age, arthritis etc. I had carried a Colt Double Eagle 45 ACP, for about 20 years, normally in a ITB holster in the small of my back. Due to the discomfort and pain, I needed to change so went with a Kimber Solo 9mm. The only issue I have with it is that the slide is hard to operate. I found it very accurate and reliable, it is designed for +P and +P+ loads. Light loads are not recommended. I carry with the Hornady Critical Duty loads. It is very easy to conceal, I carry it in a Galco ITB holster at about 4 oclock. Kimber does have several other mini 9's that I would look at now. Of course I am old 76 and dislike any poly framed firearms, so I only am familiar with the metal framed guns.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll echo much of the above. MUST be reliable (no use carrying a paperweight). MUST actually be carried (worthless if left at home). MUST be able to actually shoot it (rack the slide, pull the trigger, reload). Caliber is least important, as anything .380 and up will likely do the job.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I got my wife into shooting with my collection. That, with the use of family, friends and rentals she came to a consensus on ease/compatibility of use. She must have put 100+ hours in the use of different firearms till she found the right one for her. I didn't choose hers, she did. Short story, a lot of time and she found her fit and match.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Three or four years ago I needed to change my EDC due to age, arthritis etc. I had carried a Colt Double Eagle 45 ACP, for about 20 years, normally in a ITB holster in the small of my back. Due to the discomfort and pain, I needed to change so went with a Kimber Solo 9mm. The only issue I have with it is that the slide is hard to operate. I found it very accurate and reliable, it is designed for +P and +P+ loads. Light loads are not recommended. I carry with the Hornady Critical Duty loads. It is very easy to conceal, I carry it in a Galco ITB holster at about 4 oclock. Kimber does have several other mini 9's that I would look at now. Of course I am old 76 and dislike any poly framed firearms, so I only am familiar with the metal framed guns.

Ditch the high pressure loads and put in a lighter spring?

that may make The gun better suited for your use.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    The following are things that some fellow instructors and accomplished shooters fundamentally agree as the Top Priorities for a personal defense handgun.

1) Reliability
    2) Acceptable Accuracy at Defensive Shooting Distances (relative to the experience of the shooter)
    3) Fits the Individual's Hand (ergonomically well suited creates a situation where the shooter is both comfortable in the grip and controllable to shoot)
    4) Should Be Widely Available and Popular Model (aids in finding spare mags and holsters to allow different options for carry)
    5) Should Fire a Cartridge Suitable for Self Defense (38sp / 9mm or higher, in our opinions)

Before anyone comes and defends the 380, each of us has seen in real life what a 380 can / will do compared to a 9mm or a 38sp. Night and day difference...

That being said, two more things should be added that are not related to this list, but are very important.

5) A Good Belt AND Holster Will Make a World of Difference in Comfort AND Concealability
    6) ANY FIREARM ON YOU is Better Than a Firearm in the Sock Drawer / in the Vehicle, When You NEED IT

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One that goes bang every trigger pull, one you can hit what you're aiming at and one you will carry all the time.

Comfort/compatibility with hand and carry position is first and foremost.

Good advice. I will add to this, a good holster and belt will make a world of difference.

As many others have said, holster and belt make a huge difference. If you find a good comfortable holster with good retention (in the case of an IWB, I wanted good retention even when the gun is not up tight to the body, as there are times when that is important) that can also easily be drawn/as well as re-holstered preferably one handed, with good trigger coverage, it can make almost any reasonably sized gun carry and conceal well. For that reason, I'd start getting familiar with various holster types, etc maybe even before completely settling on a gun, and stay with a main stream make and model of firearm and you should have many choices in holster.

Not sure for a woman, but I have found the hybrid IWB holsters to be excellent, especially when coupled with a Daltech Force Biobelt. I use this same type of setup whether it be Glock 43, Glock 19, or S&W M&P Compact 2.0 and the gun just disappears and is very comfortable. No issues even with extremely long car rides, etc .

Top Bottom