• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    So as the title says I'm curious and thinking about the idea of working in a gun shop there is a few near by and I would love the chance and experience to try it out. i don't have much knowledge about guns except what I read or hear from others but I would love the chance to learn more and possibly have a new career or side job working in firearms, if anyone could give some info to help me it would be appreciated

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Gun knowledge is pretty imperative to work at a gun shop, otherwise you will have 20 threads going on INGO about the ship stick working at the local gun shop. Just hang out here and you will learn all there is to know about guns.
    Joking... kinda. At least about the learning part.
    I would suggest finding a LGS and get to know the owner and employees. Some of the small ones near me have a liars bench environment. Get to know the business and ask if they need help. I wouldn't plan on it being a new career, but it could be a source of learning and earning extra gun money, plus the discount. I would have a problem trying not to buy all the trade ins off customers.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I am getting ready to retire and have also thought about working in a gun shop. I'm just not sure how long my savings could support this...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I dunno... I have seen some older guys working at gun stores before and I think a LGS has to be careful with them. They are often quirky and opinionated. No one wants to go in and buy a gun from some old guy that thinks they know more than the customer.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've toyed with the idea of working part time at a gun shop after retirement too. Sometimes experience with years of shooting can be helpful if you don't let it go to your head.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    While I was an active duty police officer, I worked in a gun shop part time as well. As others have said, knowledge of firearms is the key....Many folks come in looking for advice etc....I have heard gun shop employees bold face lie to the customer just to get a sale....The customers that don't have a good working knowledge can easily be misled by the supposed "expert" saleman...Don't be that guy...If you do get the position, be honest and if you don't know, find out for the customer. A bad reputation will not only quickly affect you but the gun shop will be affected as well. Word of mouth is still the best form of advertising...be honest and friendly with everyone.There is one shop in particular here that many folks avoid just because of the terrible customer service, sales people act like its a bother to talk to you and avoid questions all together.....You will be surprised how much you learn from staff and customers...Good Luck

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I dunno... I have seen some older guys working at gun stores before and I think a LGS has to be careful with them. They are often quirky and opinionated. No one wants to go in and buy a gun from some old guy that thinks they know more than the customer.

Quirky old guys who are opinionated about firearms. Hhhmmm, that sounds familiar, like I've been there before. Maybe on the Internet, only more regional than world-wide, but a few are from far away. :laugh:

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I too have thought about getting a job a a gunstore but really unless you just wanna sit around all day listening to folks talk about how high everything is & how you don't have what I'm looking for etc. I'd pass..
    And if you think about it.. It would be like a kid in a candy store, every pay check would just go back to the owner on your next firearm purchase..
    I have a buddy that works for one & he's never even got a check, Just a safe full of guns, You know his wife can't stand the place..

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The OP is 33 according to his profile. I would think as long as you're honest with people if you don't know the answer to their question, find out from someone else in the shop.
    I would say be open minded as well, not everyone is going to like a Glock (used as reference), and people are in all income ranges, you will have to try and figure out what they are willing to spend.
    Some people shopping are not necessarily in the gun hobby, but some are.
    Years ago, when I was doing apartment maintenance (which doesn't pay much for everything you do), I worked part time behind the gun counter at Galyan's on the South side of Indy (Shelby St. and Stop 10).
    It was a good experience for me, it was officially called the hunting and fishing dept. My real weakness was fishing, didn't know squat about it and still don't. So when people had fishing questions as far as reels, lures and gear, I would have to refer them to the guys that were deep in the fishing hobby that worked there.

I ended up doing apartment maintenance for a total of 13 years, never really liked it and tried different things to get away from it. But it was a great segway into commercial bldg. maint. Which ultimately led me into HVAC and a position in a large health network and doing maintenance at a Hospital. It put all my customer service skills into play, especially dealing with Doctor's that are never told "No".

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I currently work at a gun shop as a side job. Its fun, but its definetly not for everyone. The best advise I have recieved and use every time I work is to "Have ZERO expectations of your customers". The guy who seems like he'd know his stuff is typically the one who ends up pointing his loaded carry at you. The guy who doesn't look like he could buy a box of 22's may end up buying everything in the store. Have zero expectations, just be nice yet cautious with everyone.

Last edited:

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I currently work at a gun shop as a side job. Its fun, but its definetly not for everyone. The best advise I have recieved and use every time I work is to "Have ZERO expectations of your customers". The guy who seems like he'd know his stuff is the one who ends up pointing his loaded carry at you. The guy who doesn't look like he could buy a box of 22's may end up buying everything in the store. Have zero expectations, just be nice yet cautious with everyone.

I have been hanging out at gun counters for years. The first thing I always look at is their trigger discipline, second is their aim or where they are pointing the weapon. IMO that will tell you in two seconds if they are a shooter/enthusiast or a candidate for a basic firearms course.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have been working Part-time for a shop for most of 8 years. My thoughts are; It is very important to treat the Customers like you would want to be treated if you are shopping. Acknowledge the customer when they enter the store and let them shop. I have learned that most customers will ask for help if they have a question or are looking for something specific. There are some that get annoyed if they are not given your utmost attention. If you don't know something , admit it but be willing to find the answer. I try to keep up to date on new releases and information available. I also try to learn as much as possible about firearms that I am specifically interested in. I have a lot of people ask me questions about the Ruger 10/22, MK series handguns, Cz scorpions and most anything related to Rimfire. I have gotten my Armorers Certificate for Ar-15, Glock and Smith. Having good information to pass on to the customer is important because if you make a mistake everyone will know with Social media.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have been working Part-time for a shop for most of 8 years. My thoughts are; It is very important to treat the Customers like you would want to be treated if you are shopping. Acknowledge the customer when they enter the store and let them shop. I have learned that most customers will ask for help if they have a question or are looking for something specific. There are some that get annoyed if they are not given your utmost attention. If you don't know something , admit it but be willing to find the answer. I try to keep up to date on new releases and information available. I also try to learn as much as possible about firearms that I am specifically interested in. I have a lot of people ask me questions about the Ruger 10/22, MK series handguns, Cz scorpions and most anything related to Rimfire. I have gotten my Armorers Certificate for Ar-15, Glock and Smith. Having good information to pass on to the customer is important because if you make a mistake everyone will know with Social media.

This is great advice.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Work in a gun shop because you want to serve the customers first and foremost. If you just want to experience firearms and expand your knowledge, while a noble endeavor, the front counter might not be the best fit.

If you have never worked retail or dealt with the public, that might be the greatest learning curve.

Post your location and maybe someone will give you a job or offer you a short internship to see if you would be valuable to them.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @T-DOGG so because my mom flipped out on me owning a gun I shouldn't try a job I will enjoy? Whatever I appreciate everyone's advice, this could just be a side job something to gain some knowledge in and maybe be serious but I do want to learn more, since I live in noblesville I was going to try Tims shooting range in Westfield iv been there a few times and the guys seem easy to talk to.

Top Bottom